Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 08:29 AM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times

Advertisements

Better, yes............it would help with how humans naturally group and divide,
more peace and harmony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 08:58 AM

62,888 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawnyoucandobetter View Post
It works for Japan and South Korea, two of the most prosperous nations on earth with the highest levels of satisfaction and well being. Humans are tribalistic, self-segregation creatures, by nature. Wouldn't we all be happier if we just lived among our own people and cultures, and helped each other prosper as a globe from afar? Give your thoughts and opinions.

Edit: This a theoretical thought exercise, not one based on the current reality, how easy it would be to achieve from this point, etc.
Well let's just put it this way multi-culterism doesn't work for the most part especially when the dominant culture has becomes so diluted that you don't have identifying one anymore.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:08 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Quote:
A white person from Minnesota and a white person from Georgia are going to have much more in common than the white person from Minnesota and a black person from Minnesota, broadly speaking. Likewise, black people from each of those respective states are going to have more in common than a black person and a white person from the same state.
That really isn't true. It depends on how your measuring "similarity". Accent, Diet and religious similarities are far more common between Georgia Blacks and Whites. Race doesn't equal ethnicity. If you mean they have the same skin tone yes, but almost any use of ethnicity that would split African Americans from White Americans, would split White Americans into 20 different ethno-nationalities from Europe. Nearly all Black Americans have what can be described as Southern Culture. Including the ones in Northern states.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:40 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,766,671 times
I'm not going anywhere.

If you want a white ethno-state, go back to Europe.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:47 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Quote:
It works for Japan and South Korea, two of the most prosperous nations on earth with the highest levels of satisfaction and well being. Humans are tribalistic, self-segregation creatures, by nature. Wouldn't we all be happier if we just lived among our own people and cultures, and helped each other prosper as a globe from afar? Give your thoughts and opinions.

Edit: This a theoretical thought exercise, not one based on the current reality, how easy it would be to achieve from this point, etc.
South Korea is an ethno-state but the Korean homeland is in 3 different countries. North Korea, China and South Korea. Also South Korea and North Korea both Korean states have the most militarized borders. Japan currently holds the entire Ryukyuan homeland as well as the Ainu homeland (Okinawa and Hokkaido respectively). Okinawans are still the majority in Okinawa, and Ainu are a minority in Hokkaido. Making up less than 2-10% of the population, and disappearing as an ethnic identity, but you could still argue in a world with Ethnic homelands, even the simplest places have their complications.

Old 04-08-2021, 04:15 PM

25,705 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
It's all about choice. As long as we are all given the freedom
to choose and the opportunity to be chosen there should be no
problem fitting in anywhere.
So move to downtown Tehran and see how well you "fit in." I would continue by stating exactly what you would soon be "fit into," but I don't want to be overly morbid. Suffice it to say things might not go so well for you.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:39 AM

8,486 posts, read 4,730,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
So, in your mind, Japan is devoid of cultural heritage, art, literature, and customs?

"Diversity" is a word which has been highjacked by liberal idiots; we know from a genetic standpoint that diversity is advantageous to a species in order to adapt to changing environments. However, throughout history, cultural diversity has had a markedly NEGATIVE impact on nations. The more "diverse" the nation, generally the less stable and prosperous the nation becomes.

In the US, more "diverse" areas have higher rates of crime, lower standards of living, and lower education levels. Gee.....................a liberal dream come true.
Not at all; Japan certainly has no lake of culture, arts, etc. It’s just that the homogeneity of it would probably get boring to me.

As far as cultural diversity, I grew up in one of the capitals of American diversity. It was really not any of the things you claim about diverse areas. Where diversity can be a problem is when it’s forced by policy makers, rather than being allowed to happen naturally as it did in my area.

But, I think it’s a lot to do with how you’re raised. To me, since my origins were in a place where you were likely to hear five different languages just on a grocery trip, that established my “normalâ€, and an ethno-state would feel highly “abnormal†to me, and that’s leaving out any other feelings I have about ethnostates to begin with. In fact, the city I live in still, after nearly 16 years, feels a bit more on the “abnormal†side of the ledger for me.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:43 AM

4,295 posts, read 1,554,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Better, yes............it would help with how humans naturally group and divide,
more peace and harmony.
I guess you missed the first few millennia of human history, huh?

Old 04-13-2021, 09:55 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,204,876 times
Quote:
It works for Japan and South Korea, two of the most prosperous nations on earth with the highest levels of satisfaction and well being.
Actually, Asia in general has pretty low levels of "satisfaction"(I assume you mean happiness?). Ironically, North Korea is happier than South Korea. South Korea has the highest suicide rate of any developed country. And Japan has suicide forests.

Quote:
Humans are tribalistic, self-segregation creatures, by nature. Wouldn't we all be happier if we just lived among our own people and cultures, and helped each other prosper as a globe from afar? Give your thoughts and opinions.
Yes, humans are tribal, and we are happier in more homogeneous communities. But I have no idea what you mean by "prosper as a globe from afar". But if prosper refers to material well-being, the more globalism the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The larger ethnostate is the American culture. It is very much alike no matter where we live, what race we are, what our gender is, or our native language.
Parts of Canada and Mexico are more similar to parts of America than geographically distant parts of America are to itself. Seattle and Vancouver feel more similar than Seattle and Tulsa. El Paso is basically Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
All it does is to separate and build walls between humans even more, than it is now.
So you're for a one-world government?

Quote:
No one gave rat's tail about what color your skin was, but lots of interest, in what man you were.
There isn't some mythical time when people weren't racist. Racism is a human universal. It's called tribalism. And it is in your DNA.

Quote:
How you gonna resolve this with Americans, who are as mixed blood, as it goes, and counting?
What do you mean by Americans? And what do you mean by mixed-blood?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289685/

The average white person is 98.6% European, .19% African, and .18% Native-American. And about 95% of whites have no non-European ancestry at all.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/25/s...ity-study.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The plurality of the white people of the Midwest have little in common with, say, the white people of the South. So according to the "ethno-states" argument, they should be split up into a separate nation.
But Chicago has almost nothing in common with Fargo either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I do think a world of ethnostates would be better, because I value diversity. Diversity is a short-lived thing in a global world because everyone merges into one culture. In a world of ethnostates, diversity can last.
You would also need to restrict tourism, and probably most foreign trade/investment. I think over the long-term it cannot be sustained in the face of a global economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Would split White Americans into 20 different ethno-nationalities
Probably more than that, since there were always subgroups in Europe, who then split and merged once they got here.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:48 PM

7,349 posts, read 3,520,483 times
According to the rules, the best way to achieve human happiness is to live in high density (public) housing with all different types of ethnicities on top of you. Being in close proximity (at least 6 feet apart to comply with covid guidelines and to stand in solidarity with those who have lost their lives due to the pandemic) to as many people as possible of different backgrounds will make you have humility and empathy and experience other cultures outside of your own bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies