Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 07:41 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
If the OP is truly concerned about American mediocrity then please say something we were best at that truly matters?
We were best at innovation, and know-how, and getting things to market first. We have a bit of advantage with very rich national resources, and a very very diverse nation as far as climate and geography - so we've got oceans to harvest, fields to farm, mines to mine, tourist areas, and on and on.

We invented the plane, the car, the atom bomb, the light bulb, the cotton gin, and were the first to the moon.

Everyone wanted to come here, to the land of milk and honey, to endless opportunity after a generation of hard work.

We are not so much a melting pot, as a salad.

We are the descendants of the movers and shakers, the restless, those wishing to leave everything behind and risk their very lives for a chance at success and freedom. And hybrid vigor.

We need to remember that, and regain that.

Enough of a nation torn in half, each wing hating the other half and the middle standing there wondering what the hell happened to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 01:43 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
For many, hard work and striving for excellence is its own reward. They are the ones who will also meet with success not blaming anyone or anything for their own failings.
I'm different. I'll work hard, but hard work isn't a rewardto me. The results of that work are what matter the most to me.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
This will just move America to mediocracy.
Well, if this is your assessment, you can look to Richard Nixon to blame.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:26 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
But what I'm saying who gets admitted and given a chance and who is not is increasingly decided based on their race.

I wouldn't be much opposed to affirmative action if it was presented honestly. It's charity offered to those who can't compete. Whites should be thanked and praised for sacrificing their opportunities, instead they are demonized.
Who's demonizing whites? You have some sort of victim mentality here.

Let's be honest... this thread is largely discussing United Airlines. They're program allows for the incoming class to be much larger than 50% white. That's not punishing whites.

Let's not forget that United Airlines is also a private company. They can spend their money how they wish. I know this bothers you liberals, but the last thing we want is the government telling them how to spend their money... which is what a lot of people are implying.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:01 AM

One of the biggest ironies regarding complaints about affirmative action is that there are many Whites who benefit. White women benefit from it. And yet we hear so many complaints about minorities, in particular, Blacks.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:08 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,990,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We were best at innovation, and know-how, and getting things to market first. We have a bit of advantage with very rich national resources, and a very very diverse nation as far as climate and geography - so we've got oceans to harvest, fields to farm, mines to mine, tourist areas, and on and on.

We invented the plane, the car, the atom bomb, the light bulb, the cotton gin, and were the first to the moon.

Everyone wanted to come here, to the land of milk and honey, to endless opportunity after a generation of hard work.

We are not so much a melting pot, as a salad.

We are the descendants of the movers and shakers, the restless, those wishing to leave everything behind and risk their very lives for a chance at success and freedom. And hybrid vigor.

We need to remember that, and regain that.

Enough of a nation torn in half, each wing hating the other half and the middle standing there wondering what the hell happened to us.

Freedom, free enterprise, and competition made those things happen especially when government was not in the way to the extent it is now.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, if this is your assessment, you can look to Richard Nixon to blame.

The blame goes to the people who put race and sex over merit. We should apply the same rules to the NBA.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Who's demonizing whites? You have some sort of victim mentality here.

Let's be honest... this thread is largely discussing United Airlines. They're program allows for the incoming class to be much larger than 50% white. That's not punishing whites.

Let's not forget that United Airlines is also a private company. They can spend their money how they wish. I know this bothers you liberals, but the last thing we want is the government telling them how to spend their money... which is what a lot of people are implying.

Pushing for more of one race or gender means less of other races and genders. More of one is less of another!

Old 04-09-2021, 05:13 AM

When I apply for a job can I put on the application I identify as a black woman?

Old 04-09-2021, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One of the biggest ironies regarding complaints about affirmative action is that there are many Whites who benefit. White women benefit from it. And yet we hear so many complaints about minorities, in particular, Blacks.

Being a white male is a big disadvantage in the job market today. Being a while male owned business is a big disadvantage getting any revenue involving government funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies