Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2021, 11:50 AM

43,184 posts, read 18,329,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Part of why so many older adults took part in spring break down there was because of those loosened restrictions though so...

But that's also not true. Scroll down to daily new cases chart. Florida cut restrictions in September and cases went up significantly after that. Particularly with the holiday spike. But even in the trough after that are at twice the rate they were prior to the September lift.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/florida/

For a state with a lot of old people they aren't doing too bad at all.
Only 33K deaths total out of 2 million cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 11:51 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,817,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well FL spiked last year right after spring break and they are doing this year right after spring break.
You have a lot more natives and employees that got exposed that normally wouldn't if there was no spring break.

See the pattern ?
I also see the pattern of more circulating virus post spring break with the removal of mask mandates equals more cases in Florida.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:53 AM

17,318 posts, read 12,274,817 times
Quote:
For a state with a lot of old people they aren't doing too bad at all.
Only 33K deaths total out of 2 million cases.
Which puts them at #3 in the nation. You keep trying to move the goalposts but as you're finding no matter how you try to spin it, Florida has not and is not doing well with this.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I also see the pattern of more circulating virus post spring break with the removal of mask mandates equals more cases in Florida.
FL did not have a state wide mask mandate though. It was up to individual cities and counties.

SC is the same way. No state mandate and my city (North Myrtle Beach) just ended our mask mandate and so did Myrtle Beach.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:57 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,269,560 times
The media points to the 20% and says we need to get to 70%.

But it ignores previous infections conferring partial or full immunity.

Areas that cracked down before are getting hit now.

When my kids were little they were in daycare and caught a lot of viruses. My sister in law used to laugh as her kids were kept at home and didn’t get sick.

By age 2, my kids rarely got sick, but hers? A lot of illnesses over the next few years.

I’m not saying we should encourage COVID infections - especially with a vaccine now - but the media ignores natural immunity towards the 70% herd immunity target.

Why?

Old 04-08-2021, 11:58 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,269,560 times
Quote:
Which puts them at #3 in the nation. You keep trying to move the goalposts but as you're finding no matter how you try to spin it, Florida has not and is not doing well with this.
Florida is #3 in population.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Well then I guess you should stay away from Florida ?

I have family there and they are ok with the current rules.

What irks you so much about Florida ?

Old 04-08-2021, 12:00 PM

17,318 posts, read 12,274,817 times
Quote:
Well then I guess you should stay away from Florida ?

I have family there and they are ok with the current rules.

What irks you so much about Florida ?
Most of my family is there as well...living in isolated retirement communities or on military bases.

Not irked, just pointing out that the data does not support what you have been saying...and then keep deflecting to something else which is also incorrect.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Florida is #3 in population.
I think they are just looking at total deaths.

Deaths per 100K people would put it in perspective and make it comparable to other states.
When you do that NY, NJ and MA top the list.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Most of my family is there as well...living in isolated retirement communities or on military bases.

Not irked, just pointing out that the data does not support what you have been saying...and then keep deflecting to something else which is also incorrect.
You reference total deaths and said FL is #1. Ok you got a chart.

33K deaths out of 2 million cases isn't a bad number.

Deaths per 100K is a better statistic if you want to compare state to state because each state has a different population.
And some states have a large older population which would lead to more deaths.

There's a lot to take into account then just death numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies