Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2021, 12:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Truly, no end in sight with this thing. Revert to mass lockdowns again. And again. And again.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cd...?siteid=yhoof2
There have been to lockdowns in the US.

Restrictions have been imposed at state, county and local government levels. No two seem alike. Restrictions are only as good as a local population’s willingness to comply.

A national vaccination rate is meaningless. Vaccinations rates are highly variable state to state and within state.

20% is a drop in the bucket in terms of herd immunity.

Nearly half of all new cases this month are in just 5 states, Florida, Michigan,NJ, NY and Pennsylvania. Likely these spikes are concentrated to certain counties within these states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 12:13 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You reference total deaths and said FL is #1. Ok you got a chart.

33K deaths out of 2 million cases isn't a bad number.

Deaths per 100K is a better statistic if you want to compare state to state because each state has a different population.
And some states have a large older population which would lead to more deaths.

There's a lot to take into account then just death numbers.
Well initially we were just talking about trends in relation to policy changes. Things got worse after the Sept lift that's just right there in the data. Then I just responded in the same numbers context that you brought up.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:19 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,216,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Well initially we were just talking about trends in relation to policy changes. Things got worse after the Sept lift that's just right there in the data. Then I just responded in the same numbers context that you brought up.
Policy change like mask mandates ?

FL never had a statewide mandate though.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:20 PM

37,093 posts, read 41,220,763 times
I will get concerned when people who are vaccinated start getting infected with new variants in significant numbers.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Policy change like mask mandates ?

FL never had a statewide mandate though.
Florida lifts all COVID-19 restrictions
Fines for not wearing a mask have also been lifted.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:22 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Which puts them at #3 in the nation. You keep trying to move the goalposts but as you're finding no matter how you try to spin it, Florida has not and is not doing well with this.
Florida is mid 20s in terms of deaths per population. NJ is #1. NJ has way more restrictions than Florida. Cases are rising there too.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:22 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
You have no idea if there are long term risks of the vax. You just don't.

Also, don't misunderstand me: this is not an argument to not get the vaccine. Get the vaccine, don't get the vaccine, I don't care one bit.

We don't know anything about this vaccine long term. We also don't know anything about covid long term.

Both can be, and are, true.
It's also true that *millions* of people have died of COVID, while few if any have died of the vaccine. Not to mention millions of people with chronic illness from COVID.

Granted the vaccines are new to humanity. So is the virus. So pick your poison.

Personally I'll pick the option that doesn't kill people, vs the option that's killed millions. You may disagree, but personally I think that's irresponsible to be polite about it.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The media points to the 20% and says we need to get to 70%.

But it ignores previous infections conferring partial or full immunity.

Areas that cracked down before are getting hit now.

When my kids were little they were in daycare and caught a lot of viruses. My sister in law used to laugh as her kids were kept at home and didn’t get sick.

By age 2, my kids rarely got sick, but hers? A lot of illnesses over the next few years.

I’m not saying we should encourage COVID infections - especially with a vaccine now - but the media ignores natural immunity towards the 70% herd immunity target.

Why?
There was a study in September that put antibodies at just 10%. More recently, blood donations are showing 20%. So, still well off 70%, especially if there's overlap on those getting vaccinated and those that already had it. Which there surely is as those most at risk were the ones first eligible.

Most Americans have not had COVID-19, antibody study suggests
COVID-19 Antibodies Found in One in Five U.S. Blood Donations

Old 04-08-2021, 12:34 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,216,027 times
There was no state mandate. There never was. DeSantis only barred jurisdictions from assessing fines.
He didn't tell them no masks. That was up to each city, county to remove the mask mandate.

Miami Dade county has a mask mandate even today.
https://www.miamigov.com/Government/...ules-Citations

Old 04-08-2021, 12:34 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Twenty percent vaccinated, plus all the immunity from people who have already had this supposedly super-contagious bug that's been here for almost a year and a half, should make some significant dent in spread. Especially when it's all the people at risk from the virus (i.e., old people and people with conditions) getting vaccinated first. I'm not arguing that this is enough to make the virus go away completely, but if you vaccinate 1 in every 5 Americans and that doesn't "lessen the spread," then something is very, very wrong.
The math doesn't work that way. You'll see measurable results as you get close to the herd immunity tipping point, but a mere 20% isn't making much of a dent. The unpredictable factor is the rate of spread, and that is hugely dependent on behavior.

It's like critical mass in a nuclear reaction - if the K-factor is even slightly above 1, the reaction increases, if it's even slightly below, it tapers out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies