Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 08:54 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am 67, and I say, "Enough and just stop with all the enforced precautions!"

If people want to continue to live their lives in fear and get vaccination after vaccination, that is their choice and their right, but I have had enough of feeling our lives are on hold because of this virus and its variants.

Yes, I might die sooner than I would otherwise, but I would rather have even six more months of living my life as I imagined it two years ago then to have to feel that 50% of what I looked forward to enjoying in my old age has been put on hold indefinitely.

IF this virus was proven to be a greater killer of those under 60 than cancer or heart disease, I would change my mind, but right now, as far as I know, old people are still the most likely to die from COVID by far. Well, I am one of the many old people who don't want to live out my final years either cowering in fear or being made to feel guilty for not doing so.

Wearing a mask is no big deal, but being required to get a vaccine in order to conduct any business outside of my own home or partake of any recreation where I would be exposed to other people IS. (And, yes, it is not that way yet, but what guarantees do we have that it won't come to that? And if I had to guess, I would be surprised if we are not at that point within a year. I mean, it took less than nine months to develop a vaccine, instituting some kind of national vaccine database or "implant" chip or government-issued vaccine passport should be walk in the park by comparison.)

Btw, here is the list of leading cause of death by age groups. I found it to be quite interesting.

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/p...p_2017-508.pdf
I understand where you are coming from but what about the employees who don't have a choice? Frontline employees (i.e. service workers, grocery workers, medical, mechanics, plumbers, HVAC, etc.) need to be protected. They don't really have a choice but to be in public's face. The best way to protect them is masks and distancing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 08:55 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
How about you just wear a mask to prevent infecting your fellow Americans?

You could kill people with your poor hygiene. Or cause permanent disability (google "long covid").

Good God we Americans are a nation of selfish whiners. And old folks are leading that charge.
I don't know that "old folks" are leading the charge. I'm not an old folk but from what I see it is the younger crowd pretty much ignoring masks and social distancing. It's not old folks filling up bars and parties.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:06 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
How about you just wear a mask to prevent infecting your fellow Americans?

You could kill people with your poor hygiene. Or cause permanent disability (google "long covid").

Good God we Americans are a nation of selfish whiners. And old folks are leading that charge.
Please learn to read more carefully. I said, quote, "Wearing a mask is no big deal", unquote. I do wear a mask because it is no big deal.

And my hygiene is just fine.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:12 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
If we have enough lock downs and vaccines, the virus will magically disappear by Summer.

- Joe Biden
Biden didn't that. Here is what Biden said. Note the bolded words.

Link to Biden speech
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...d-19-shutdown/

Spoke about the importance of getting vaccines and the expectation by May 1 vaccine eligibility for everyone 16 and over.....Then said:

"If we do this together, by 4 July, there is a good chance you, your family and friends can get together in your backyard or in your neighbourhood and have a cookout or a barbecue and celebrate Independence Day,"

"After a long, hard year, that will make this Independence Day truly special - where we not only mark our independence as a nation but we begin to mark our independence from this virus."

Last edited by Variable; 04-08-2021 at 09:20 AM..

Old 04-08-2021, 09:13 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
You don't know what you're talking about.

Our current vaccines are still very effective against most known strains. Somewhat less effective in some cases, but still very good as vaccines go.

But yeah, I expect that we'll be getting a COVID booster shot every year or so to guard against emerging strains.
Here is a quote from the JAMA link below (my italics):

"Current COVID-19 vaccines are based on the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein, which the virus uses to bind to and infect host cells, of the original Wuhan-hu-1. But the emerging “variants of concernâ€â€”deemed so because they appear to be more transmissible or deadlier than the wild-type SARS-CoV-2—contain mutations in the spike protein, spurring vaccine efficacy concerns.

"Trials of the Novavax, Janssen/Johnson & Johnson, and AstraZeneca vaccines in South Africa, where the B.1.351 variant of concern represents virtually all of the circulating SARS-CoV-2, seemed to justify those concerns. The South Africa trials found lower vaccine efficacy compared with trials in other countries where B.1.351 wasn’t dominant."

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2777785

Btw, this article was published only about three weeks ago.

And, yes, as I have stated many times, I am not any kind of medical or science expert, but based on your posts, I think I know as much as you do.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:20 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
I have been living my life just more cautiously. This month my calendar is booked with visitors, some fully vaccinated some flying that need a covid test to fly . I am fully vaccinated so it is all good.

Life goes on if one uses common sense and knowing God is always at the helm.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:24 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
So, it's not going to be done once the majority gets the vaccine?
I think/hope it will, but this discussion is predicated on 20% being fully vaccinated. That is not a majority.

The OP seems upset that we are not treating 20% as "mission accomplished".

Old 04-08-2021, 09:29 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Truly, no end in sight with this thing. Revert to mass lockdowns again. And again. And again.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cd...?siteid=yhoof2
If people want to lockdown they can do it individually. If the government does, then we will not comply.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:35 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
We'll need boosters every year for a few years most likely.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:37 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Lancet just published a study showing 1/3 of people who get covid and recover have lingering neurological and psychological problems. If that is not enough to send people to the nearest Walgreens for a vaccination, what is?
Good question! The risk of the vaccine is extremely low compared to something like this that will and can perhaps do permanent neurological damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies