Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 09:18 AM

9,839 posts, read 4,623,002 times

Advertisements

It's all about turning the population into a mob they think they can control. And this is the danger because once on government benefits ie free money that can be used to "motivate" people to act in certain ways.

So much for "immigrating"to America for freedom/independence. Many of these illegals are just looking for another dealer/ a government that does stuff for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 09:27 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
just imagine if the CBP and ICE - charged with upholding and enforcing our immigration laws - were to use some (wo)manpower to follow along and get some easy arrests/deportations out of this.
That was my first thought. I don't agree with payments to anyone who is here illegally. Only one I'd accept is money for a one-way ticket home (and yes, I'd fund that).

The article is confusing, it calls out 'illegals', but also says they have to 'prove their residency'. Those two things are at odds with one another. People who are here legally, and working, I'd be willing to hear more about why we might help them, but for true illegals, no payments.

As others already pointed out, the real problem would be resolved by holding businesses accountable for hiring, and getting rid of all the loopholes. It won't happen, because those same businesses are the donors who keep them in office. Big mess, and this is a bad idea, but it's not the CAUSE of the problem, just a really bad response to it.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:33 AM

4,377 posts, read 1,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Clearly, they were already getting enough help from us before this $15K windfall, or else they would have gone back home. How much are we supposed to help them at our expense?
I see no problem with helping people who need it. We're talking about families and children. I don't really care where they were born, or how they got here... but they are here now, and they are likely not leaving on their own. By definition of this law, these were people who were here working, and being productive members of our society, and were hurt by a pandemic (same as a lot of us). Their kids are likely citizens. I got very little across all three stimulus bills. I'm okay with that. They can have my share.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
LOL! The fraud will be off the charts!

Cheater: "I'm an undocumeted worker"
NY: "Prove it."
Cheater: "I can't."
NY: "Here's your $15,000"

What are the chances an undocumented worker is filing their annual taxes though? (this is requirement for ALL the stimulus checks so far).

Old 04-09-2021, 10:36 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I see no problem with helping people who need it. We're talking about families and children. I don't really care where they were born, or how they got here... but they are here now, and they are likely not leaving on their own. By definition of this law, these were people who were here working, and being productive members of our society, and were hurt by a pandemic (same as a lot of us). Their kids are likely citizens. I got very little across all three stimulus bills. I'm okay with that. They can have my share.
What differentiates them from all of the others who cant make it to our shores? Why are they so special? Shouldn't we be giving the other billion people in poverty around the world, stimulus checks too? They are also families and children. Why don't we just borrow another $20 trillion and use it to help all the poor in the world?

Old 04-09-2021, 10:50 AM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why is this a surprise? Democrats have long shown their support and empathy for criminals, and do far more for them than law abiding American citizens.
BUT..they need the citizens to pay taxes to fund their social endeavors.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
It's all about turning the population into a mob they think they can control. And this is the danger because once on government benefits ie free money that can be used to "motivate" people to act in certain ways.

So much for "immigrating"to America for freedom/independence. Many of these illegals are just looking for another dealer/ a government that does stuff for them.
It's well known that we have the richest poor in the world.

We don't just "give a man a fish"...we give them a fish and a yacht to go with it.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
That was my first thought. I don't agree with payments to anyone who is here illegally. Only one I'd accept is money for a one-way ticket home (and yes, I'd fund that).

The article is confusing, it calls out 'illegals', but also says they have to 'prove their residency'. Those two things are at odds with one another. People who are here legally, and working, I'd be willing to hear more about why we might help them, but for true illegals, no payments.

As others already pointed out, the real problem would be resolved by holding businesses accountable for hiring, and getting rid of all the loopholes. It won't happen, because those same businesses are the donors who keep them in office. Big mess, and this is a bad idea, but it's not the CAUSE of the problem, just a really bad response to it.
It's nice words on paper but means nothing. I was in Texas under the Obama flood and all they showed were their "permiso"...their court order to appear. When they registered for school you accepted whatever they wrote down. No proof needed because they had nothing. That came down from the DOJ and DOE.

American kids cannot get into school until a mound of paperwork is produced...id and vaccine and whatever.
These people waltz in and whatever they say is taken as fact.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:24 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
You don't care how they got here? Even if they violated our immigration laws to do so? Shame on you! Many will leave on their own if we remove the job incentives and other benefits to remain here. They are not net productive members of our society. They have stolen jobs from Americans! They cost the taxpayer over $100 billion a year! They overcrowd our schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods. They commit felony ID theft and/or tax evasion to work here. Their U.S. born kids are not our citizens by birth in reality. It's only been by a PC policy that they have been deemed so. That needs correcting. Why do you donate your stimulus check to need Americans instead?

Old 04-09-2021, 07:57 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
What differentiates them from all of the others who cant make it to our shores? Why are they so special? Shouldn't we be giving the other billion people in poverty around the world, stimulus checks too? They are also families and children. Why don't we just borrow another $20 trillion and use it to help all the poor in the world?
We send money to other counties all the time, every year. If you want to send even more... then sure, lets do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies