Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 10:50 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Yeah I don't think there are too many others looking to move to the "freedom" of everyone feeling like they need to carry a gun.
You do realize that just because you no longer have to have a concealed carry permit (fill out application, complete training and pay fee) everyone will feel like they need to carry. About 10% of TN's population has a carry permit. No one I know actually goes around packing all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 10:55 AM

795 posts, read 407,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It would be interesting to learn where that regulation pertaining to places where alcohol is served, originally stemmed from? Im sure they had their reasons for creating such a regulation and I bet it based on antiquated beliefs too.
That actually makes a lot of sense to me. Alcohol impaired your judgement, slows your reaction time, and can amplify emotions. None of which is a good thing if you are carrying a firearm. I equate that to drinking and driving. It’s just not a good idea.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

You either aren't looking or it doesn't register when you see it, it definitely happens albeit infrequently in my experience.
So what pictures is the poster seeing with guns strapped to everyone in public places.
I'm not particularly looking but if I see Aunt Betty shopping at the Wal Mart wearing her pink bedazzled holster and side arms, I'd notice. I'm pretty sure I'd notice guns as accessories on half the population as Im about in public.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:07 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So what pictures is the poster seeing with guns strapped to everyone in public places.
I'm not particularly looking but if I see Aunt Betty shopping at the Wal Mart wearing her pink bedazzled holster and side arms, I'd notice. I'm pretty sure I'd notice guns as accessories on half the population as I'm about in public.
can't speak for the other poster, but I work for a chain that sees fairly frequent robberies, someone showing the flash of a gun butt when they reach for their wallet or phone is something that makes me sit up and take notice. Like I said it's not all that frequent, but let's not pretend it never happens, it does.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
can't speak for the other poster, but I work for a chain that sees fairly frequent robberies, someone showing the flash of a gun butt when they reach for their wallet or phone is something that makes me sit up and take notice. Like I said it's not all that frequent, but let's not pretend it never happens, it does.
Showing a flash of a concealed gun is not going around with guns strapped to you which would be pretty obvious, and is what this poster was talking about. I'm sure people are out in public with concealed guns and you might every once in a while catch a glimpse.
I would still like to know what pictures this poster is talking about.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:41 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
That is irrelevant, the 2nd Amendment is in place so citizens can protect themselves against the govt, (not citizens who may be criminals).

Old 04-13-2021, 11:44 AM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What pictures? I have never seen that here. The only people that I see carry a firearm strapped to them for all to see are police officers and when I have encountered someone in the woods.
When I was growing up people carried their riffles and shotguns in gun racks mounted in the back window of their trucks. It was nothing to see people walking with riffles as they were going or coming from hunting or target practice. There were always guns and ammo for sale at flea markets (50 rounds of .22 were 0.89 cents ). Even then I don't recall seeing people with hand guns strapped to them.
At one time the only way you could legally carry a sidearm in public within Arizona was openly. Then they passed a law that you needed a permit to carry concealed followed by Constitutional carry where you don't need a permit to carry openly or concealed with permits being optional mainly for reciprocity with other states.

A lot of people are so used to open carry that they still practice it and no one gets bent outta' shape when they see someone in aisle 7 of their local supermarket with a .45 strapped to their hip. Myself I don't open carry now that concealed carry is lawful. For strategic reasons I really don't want anyone to know that I'm armed. Now that concealed carry is lawful in Arizona you don't see too many people carrying openly anymore.

In some state's such as New York it is illegal for civilians to open carry in public. Even if you have a concealed weapons permit of which I had when I lived there. Concealed means just that, CONCEALED.If for any reason someone saw your sidearm and reported it your concealed weapons permit could be revoked and your handguns would be confiscated as it is illegal to possess a handgun without a permit.

Quote:
New York Open Carry: Laws, Requirements ... - Gun Lawsuits
https://gunlawsuits.org/gun-laws/new-york/open-carry/
Is Open Carry Legal In New York? No. New York bans open carry in the state, but you can conceal carry a firearm in some counties as long as you have a New York Pistol License. Open Carry Laws In New York. New York is a non-permissive open carry state. This means that the state prohibits the open carry of loaded firearms.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
At one time the only way you could legally carry a sidearm in public within Arizona was openly. Then they passed a law that you needed a permit to carry concealed followed by Constitutional carry where you don't need a permit to carry openly or concealed with permits being optional mainly for reciprocity with other states.

A lot of people are so used to open carry that they still practice it and no one gets bent outta' shape when they see someone in aisle 7 of their local supermarket with a .45 strapped to their hip. Myself I don't open carry now that concealed carry is lawful. For strategic reasons I really don't want anyone to know that I'm armed. Now that concealed carry is lawful in Arizona you don't see too many people carrying openly anymore.

In some state's such as New York it is illegal for civilians to open carry in public. Even if you have a concealed weapons permit of which I had when I lived there. Concealed means just that, CONCEALED.If for any reason someone saw your sidearm and reported it your concealed weapons permit could be revoked and your handguns would be confiscated as it is illegal to possess a handgun without a permit.
Good information.
Perhaps it was Arizona where the poster saw all the pictures of all the people openly carrying.

IMO this new law wont change anything except those responsible law abiding gun owners wont have to go through the permit process or renew their conceal carry permits. As I mentioned ~10% of the population has a carry permit. I dont know how many of those actually carry regularly but I'd bet less than half. For those who are not responsible and never went through the legal hoops to obtain a permit, they will just carry on as before. There are those who carry a gun and those who do not regardless of the law.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:58 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post

If that went to the Supreme Court, would be very difficult to justify upholding that law!

Its real simple, the Constitution says NO infringement...and New York is requiring infringement...open and shut case!

Old 04-13-2021, 12:04 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That is irrelevant, the 2nd Amendment is in place so citizens can protect themselves against the govt, (not citizens who may be criminals).
Dude, you posted that it was a god given right, like god wrote the constitution, lol. You have no credibility with me on this subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies