Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2021, 06:46 AM

4,964 posts, read 2,711,215 times

Advertisements

Who wants to go back to work for low pay and part-time work when they are receiving stimulus payments?

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/th...ric-job-market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 08:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
That article is nothing more than anti -Biden political propaganda. Have we forgotten the TWO stimulus payments and extra unemployment payments under the former administration just a few months ago.

You aren't concerned about workers. Otherwise, you would see how ludicrous your post is. Are you saying Americans should be excited about low paying and part time jobs? Regardless of stimulus, who would want that? Do you want that? Are you advocating for low paying jobs? Are you encouraging folks to intentionally participate in their own economic harm?

The issue of the economy creating low paying service type jobs pre-dates the current administration.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:12 AM

9,392 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Receiving stimulus payments? What does that even mean? People are not being paid weekly stimulus payments, that's a one-time payment and likely isn't a reason why someone would not or could not go to work.

charlgal is right, this is some right wing propaganda nonsense.

If you'll remember, the Trump administration also provided stimulus payments to Americans.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
That article is nothing more than anti -Biden political propaganda. Have we forgotten the TWO stimulus payments and extra unemployment payments under the former administration just a few months ago.

You aren't concerned about workers. Otherwise, you would see how ludicrous your post is. Are you saying Americans should be excited about low paying and part time jobs? Regardless of stimulus, who would want that? Do you want that? Are you advocating for low paying jobs? Are you encouraging folks to intentionally participate in their own economic harm?

The issue of the economy creating low paying service type jobs pre-dates the current administration.
This is just informational material that I presented. You are assuming something that isn't true when you start to speculate without knowing the facts. It does make you look foolish.

This is just an article that I read and wanted to post for others to read. I don't have an agenda as others do. I don't know what the solution is.

I frankly didn't expect a knee-jerk reaction to this post. If you don't know, I didn't write the article. The questions that you pose in your second paragraph are laughable. Perhaps you should ask those questions of the author rather than me. Again, I am not saying anything concerning this article. It is for informational purposes only and I find it very strange that you ascribe the thoughts written by the author to me.

And I was not talking about former administrations or Biden. Duh, yes the Trump administration also had stimulus packages. But that is not the issue. The issue is that many workers don't want to go back to work since they are receiving stimulus money. This is not anti-Biden or anti-Trump. Stimulus was needed, but it is causing this new problem.

So thank you for the personal attack rather than focusing on intellectual analysis and discourse. Have a good day.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Receiving stimulus payments? What does that even mean? People are not being paid weekly stimulus payments, that's a one-time payment and likely isn't a reason why someone would not or could not go to work.

charlgal is right, this is some right wing propaganda nonsense.

If you'll remember, the Trump administration also provided stimulus payments to Americans.
You don't know what stimulus payments are? Just look it up. And unemployment claims do feature weekly payments where COVID is taken into account.

And what does Trump have to do with this? He is no longer president. It is April, 2021. Let me check... oh yeah, Biden is now president.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:41 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
It makes perfect sense to me for somebody to wait until they get vaccinated before taking a job that would leave them exposed to covid. It is a good thing for the economy that the covid stimulus and unemployment benefits are keeping some people home for a few more weeks get themselves some protection.

If you will be exposed to extra risk, especially in a service sector job facing customers, but are getting paid the same old wage (or less because lower tips), you are taking a pay cut. That's one of the good features of unemployment insurance and how it helps everybody who works for living, employed or not. It keeps more people from being in desperate circumstances and therefore makes it harder to get people to work at a discount of their usual wage or accept worse working conditions without more money.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:24 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
If you can make it on these measly stimulus payments, more power to you. LOL

Old 04-09-2021, 11:29 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
The covid addition to unemployment benefits is nothing more than a back-door way for the government to FORCE private companies to raise wages. Employers are having a hard time to fill positions with one of the reasons being people are making more on unemployment than by working. They (the Government) is getting the wages raised without having to actually legislate it.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:19 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
If you can make it on these measly stimulus payments, more power to you. LOL
Exactly. In a metro area, $ 1400 might pay one month of rent.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:57 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
The covid addition to unemployment benefits is nothing more than a back-door way for the government to FORCE private companies to raise wages. Employers are having a hard time to fill positions with one of the reasons being people are making more on unemployment than by working. They (the Government) is getting the wages raised without having to actually legislate it.

The stimulus was legislation. Biden campaigned on raising the minimum wage. He's doing what he said he would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies