Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2021, 08:21 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
In what nation do you reside where a citizen---military or not---must exit their vehicle during a traffic stop? Where a police officer pulls a gun and starts screaming to obey their orders during a traffic stop without even approaching the driver first or identifying the reason for the stop? Do you realize these police--- even after politely being asked dozens of times to give the reason for the command--- they NEVER said why they stopped the citizen? The police never gave a reason as to why they were barking orders at the driver.

Way too easy on the guy for what? Being black and owning a nice new car? Clearly you either did not watch the video or read the article.

I have been stopped while driving numerous times in my 70 + years. Mostly for speeding or genuflecting at stop signs or for having an expired inspection sticker, and never once have I been screamed at to exit my vehicle by a police person, let alone one brandishing a gun. And I certainly was not pepper sprayed, handcuffed and placed on the ground. License and registration ma'am. Do you realize you were going 85 in a 65 zone? Didn't see that big bright red stop sign, eh? You know, road signs are not suggestions?

This was a traffic stop. A law abiding citizen--- with a temporary plate in the rear window, that certainly could be seen once the vehicle pulled over under those bright lights--- was treated like a criminal for absolutely no cause. Then the perpetrators of the real crime had the nerve to threaten the citizen with his career if he ever mentions their egregious and vicious behavior.

What the hell are you defending?

I am 57 years old and have been pulled over round 10 times for various traffic infractions. I have not been informed WHY I was pulled over until AFTER I had surrendered my license and my identity had been established.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I agree, he did the right things to keep himself alive. As a military veteran, I felt so bad for the guy. Serving your country and this is how they treat you. Some conservatives love to yell and scream, how the other side hate American and don't love their country, but when you give the biggest honor to your country by serving, it means nothing, you are still treated with no respect.
The "serving your country" card may get you 10% off at McDonald's or a "Thank you for your service" remark, but it does not immunize you from obeying the laws of the country. Soldiers and veterans are not a superior class of citizens warranting special treatment or courtesy. Your local mailman also is "serving" his country.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:32 AM

4,295 posts, read 1,553,748 times
So it's April and this happened in December. If the video clip had not gone viral, do you think the officer is fired?

Old 04-13-2021, 08:33 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
If the LT had been Caucasian, none of us would know this ever happened.
It would never have happened.

I can’t believe anyone in this department is POST qualified. If they are Virginia needs to change their ways

Old 04-13-2021, 08:35 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
The driver should have turned off his vehicle and unbuckled as soon as he came to a complete stop. He should have also gathered his license and registration before the police approached the vehicle. This is common sense. Maybe the government should make a PSA on how to act when encountering law enforcement. Don't they cover this in Driver's Ed???
What? No one has ever told me I should unbuckle my seat belt when I'm stopped, including cops. We have seat belt laws here in NY, first of all, so that would be opening yourself up to a ticket right away. Also, the cop might think you are ready to run from something.

That's not "common sense" : think:

Old 04-13-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousstyles32 View Post
From: https://www.npr.org/2021/03/27/98180...ooters-are-men

"If men vastly outnumber women as mass shooters, those perpetrators are often a model for the next male shooters, who "see themselves in them," Peterson said, a phenomenon that she noted is particularly true among young, white men. Violence Project data show that white men are disproportionately responsible for mass shootings more than any other group.

"They study the perpetrators that came before them," she said. "Many school shooters study Columbine, for example; other university shooters study the Virginia Tech shooting. And they really are kind of using those previous shootings as a blueprint for their own."

A black gang-banger spraying a playground in his hood over drug turf and killing 2 or three bystanders occurs more often, but the media won't tell you about those events.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:47 AM

6,340 posts, read 2,889,808 times
Quote:
I am 57 years old and have been pulled over round 10 times for various traffic infractions. I have not been informed WHY I was pulled over until AFTER I had surrendered my license and my identity had been established.
Me too. I have also been told to keep my hands where the officer can see them. And when asked to get my ID I have asked permission to reach down into my pocket. All this guy had to do when told to get out of the car is tell the officers that he had to reach into the car to unlock the door. Instead he kept arguing with them. I think he should have been charged with failure to cooperate.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:58 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousstyles32 View Post
From: https://www.npr.org/2021/03/27/98180...ooters-are-men

"If men vastly outnumber women as mass shooters, those perpetrators are often a model for the next male shooters, who "see themselves in them," Peterson said, a phenomenon that she noted is particularly true among young, white men. Violence Project data show that white men are disproportionately responsible for mass shootings more than any other group.

"They study the perpetrators that came before them," she said. "Many school shooters study Columbine, for example; other university shooters study the Virginia Tech shooting. And they really are kind of using those previous shootings as a blueprint for their own."

From the original source.

https://www.theviolenceproject.org/methodology/

Quote:
mass shootings account for fewer than 1% of all firearm homicides
I'll leave you to wonder whom is disproportionately involved in the other 99%.

For a video summation of my counterpoint, go to the 26 second mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8ZW0dfsGWc

Old 04-13-2021, 12:00 PM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
Quote:
A black gang-banger spraying a playground in his hood over drug turf and killing 2 or three bystanders occurs more often, but the media won't tell you about those events.
Then how do you know about it? You where there?

Old 04-13-2021, 12:02 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
What? No one has ever told me I should unbuckle my seat belt when I'm stopped, including cops. We have seat belt laws here in NY, first of all, so that would be opening yourself up to a ticket right away. Also, the cop might think you are ready to run from something.

That's not "common sense" : think:

exactly, because they will see that and then add not wearing a seat belt to the whatever they stopped you for.

Sadly getting stopped by police these days is worse than ever. It is scary for both, the officer and the person. Seems like your dammed if you do, and dammed if you don't.

What exactly would be the correct procedure when getting pulled over?
We know license and registration and insurance card are to be asked,

so that would be taken out while the cop is enroute to your car..... then what?

The last time I was stopped was decades ago, I don't even remember what it was for, I had the papers out, opened the window, he came over, asked for it, I gave it to him, I said nothing, not a word, I figured I will see what he stopped me for when he gave me the ticket.

He then took the papers, then after what seemed like an eternity he came back and gave me the papers back, I still said nothing. but, I do remember checking the box not guilty and sending it in, I did go to DMV court, I think that's what it was, and I remember the officer saying to the judge, there was no conversation, which was true, I didn't say a word, figuring, why bother it is always futile anyway.

I think I paid the ticket and called it a day. I'm thinking it must have been a traffic thing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies