Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 12:02 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times

Advertisements

Good. It should have happened immediately. What he did was wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 12:03 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
This is exactly why cops should never have qualified immunity. This cop lost his immediately.
Like so many others in the police reform discussion, I don't think you understand what "qualified immunity" means. Either that or you DO know what it means but persist in pretending it means UN-qualified immunity in service of a cynical agenda push.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:14 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
You unbuckle the seat belt, then keep your hands up as you get out. This is so they can see you are not exiting the car with a weapon. It's not brain surgery. "Get out of the car with your hands up" is now beyond the scope of a soldier, an officer at that, to comprehend it seems. He also looks really scared casually chewing his gum.

The policer officer fired is Hispanic and a veteran himself, so I'm not sure how the race-baiting angle is going to played.

Instead of stopping at the first well-lit area, he decided to drive where he felt comfortable. Stopping in a well-lit area is fine, but it seems he passed up some other well-lit areas to get to this specific one. Also, if I do this, I will put on my hazard lights that way officers know I'm not refusing to pull over, which Nazario doesn't seem to do.

The news likes to cut straight to the pepper-spraying part instead of showing the officers yelling to get out of the car over and over while the guy refuses, so I've linked a longer video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlS8ht3PERs
How do you unbuckle your seat belt while keeping your hands out the window? He was being ordered to keep his hands out the window AND to get out of the car at the same time. It would be not only impossible to follow both command, but stupid for him to move his hands inside the car while having two twitchy cops pointing weapons at him.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:20 PM

1,567 posts, read 906,930 times
If you were watching a video of me, the Pope of Greenwich Village, getting this treatment at the hands of officers, you'd all be shaking your head and calling me a stupid idiot for getting the cops so worked up. Why? Because I'm not a federally protected class of human. I'm just a garden variety white guy.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:24 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Why does it matter he is a military LT? Or do you just make a point to mention that to emotionally get people all worked up.
Had the victim been some miscreant drug dealer would you also be upset that was mentioned? Unlikely.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
If you were watching a video of me, the Pope of Greenwich Village, getting this treatment at the hands of officers, you'd all be shaking your head and calling me a stupid idiot for getting the cops so worked up. Why? Because I'm not a federally protected class of human. I'm just a garden variety white guy.
The officer was worked up before a word was said by the LT. Honestly he was more composed and calm than most people would be after being pulled over and being confronted with drawn weapons and not told what he was being stopped for. The officer escalated the situation.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:27 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
The class system is alive and well in the US today!

Even though police are in place to protect our rights, when was the last time we saw a cop hassle an 'elite' in this manner? LOL

Old 04-12-2021, 12:29 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times
Why is this news? The driver was being obtuse from the start. Drove a mile to a parking lot then left car running? Does not do a single thing the officers asked him to do. Disgusting that this officer was fired for doing his job.

Equally or maybe more disgusting is how this is being played out by the liberal, leftist, lying, scumbag media. NBC's title is "cops pull guns on Afro-Latino". Completely disingenuous. US media = enemy of a free and civilized society.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Why is this news? The driver was being obtuse from the start. Drove a mile to a parking lot then left car running? Does not do a single thing the officers asked him to do. Disgusting that this officer was fired for doing his job.

Equally or maybe more disgusting is how this is being played out by the liberal, leftist, lying, scumbag media. NBC's title is "cops pull guns on Afro-Latino". Completely disingenuous. US media = enemy of a free and civilized society.
Driving to a safe well lit spot when pulled over is acceptable. He was not leading them on a high speed chase through town.

HE also was doing one of the two things that he was ordered to do, he kept his hands visible as he was told to do. To get out of the car he would have had to put his hands inside the car which would be dangerous in this situation and directly disobeying one of the two contradictory orders that he was having shouted at him.

What is disgusting is how he was treated. HE was not told what he was stopped for. HE was told that he should be scared to get out of the car and that he was going to "ride the lightning". He remained composed even after having been sprayed 3 times in the face yet still kept his hands outside the window.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:48 PM

2,774 posts, read 902,658 times
If the LT had been Caucasian, none of us would know this ever happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies