Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 12:10 PM

6,109 posts, read 3,344,280 times

Advertisements

That is a very fair point, Reagan is 100% culpable as he gave amnesty to millions, ensuring that many more millions would file across the border.

But I think LBJ’s Immigration Act of 1965 actually started the problem. Ted Kennedy on the floor of the Senate assuring all Americans that the USA will not fundamentally change. He straight up lied to us all as chain migration absolutely fundamentally changed, and will eventually destroy, America. But what do you expect from a guy who murdered a woman and then lied about it?

So yes, Reagan inherited the immigration problem when he arrived in DC in 1980, and he poured gasoline on a raging fire. By signing those horrific amnesty bills.

It has nothing to do about racism and has everything to do with diluting all of our voting power.

This is why Tucker is just about the only guy on tv who tells the truth. He understands that both parties are equally reprehensible. Trump said (falsely) that he was going to deport all the illegal aliens. Tucker called him out for lying about that. Again, Tucker is 100% correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 02:02 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
That is a very fair point, Reagan is 100% culpable as he gave amnesty to millions, ensuring that many more millions would file across the border.

But I think LBJ’s Immigration Act of 1965 actually started the problem. Ted Kennedy on the floor of the Senate assuring all Americans that the USA will not fundamentally change. He straight up lied to us all as chain migration absolutely fundamentally changed, and will eventually destroy, America. But what do you expect from a guy who murdered a woman and then lied about it?

So yes, Reagan inherited the immigration problem when he arrived in DC in 1980, and he poured gasoline on a raging fire. By signing those horrific amnesty bills.

It has nothing to do about racism and has everything to do with diluting all of our voting power.

This is why Tucker is just about the only guy on tv who tells the truth. He understands that both parties are equally reprehensible. Trump said (falsely) that he was going to deport all the illegal aliens. Tucker called him out for lying about that. Again, Tucker is 100% correct.
He's been under heavy fire for about a week and he's not backing down.

Old 04-13-2021, 02:09 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,952,568 times
pretty much true, i was a senior in HS when this passed and i thought it was fair and a great deal . Even a few years later it was easy to see it had failed miserably because we never followed thru on the other part of the IRCA. Part 1 was amnesty Part 2 was secure the border so it doesn't happen again. Reagan was President and failed to secure the border as has every President since that time. Which is why even though I was very liberal in the day and supported the IRCA It must now be Secure border first then look at any type of immigration reform. Otherwise its just the old saying "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me". And folks we have been fooled far more times than once, how stupid are we going to be?

Old 04-13-2021, 02:11 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Reagan would never be elected by today's fanatical Republicans.

Neither would Lincoln. All the traitor-flag wavers and would-be secessionists are firmly GOP these days.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:01 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo Pygmaeus View Post
Why are you bouncing back and forth between discussing illegal immigration, which is indeed a legitimate problem for both American workers and the immigrants themselves, and the 1965 Immigration Act, which is really only a problem insofar as it allowed too many people of the wrong color into your "ethno-state" of European-descended mongrels?
It had nothing to do with skin color. The 1965 immigration did indeed allow in too many from incompatible cultures and languages vs mainstream America. It didn't allow for assimilation. That's what happens when you allow too many diverse immigrants into a country in a short period of time. It's balkinizines a country and creates culture clash.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:09 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,898,603 times
To be fair Reagan did that with the promise of reforms that would stop illegal immigration. They did a bait and switch on him. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. NO MORE AMNESTY!

Old 04-13-2021, 03:09 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Of course he is. Reagan opened the nation and border to millions of illegals to bust unions and provide cheap labor for America's corporatists. He was also the initiator of the free trade concepts that became NAFTA which put millions more Americans out of work destroying their way of life. Reagan was no friend of the American middle class yet, inexplicably, he is held in reverence by so many those whose livelihoods he destroyed with his anti-worker policies.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:11 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,269,535 times
It's not diluting the voting power. It's cheap labor that won't complain.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:19 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo Pygmaeus View Post
I don't recall the U.S. balkanizing 100 years ago when we had Germans, Irish, Italians and Poles all running around... Unless you're suggesting that those were compatible cultures and languages?
No. English only. Assimilate or be left by the wayside. We had plenty of Asians who didn't have a compatible culture.

But over the years assimilation became a bad theory.

Remember the term "melting pot" ? That was assimilation.
That turned into the salad bowl....everyone is different, they can stay different and we all live in harmony.

Yet another Ivory Tower theory that has fallen flat on its face.
That's why our government has to produce 237 copies of a publication in different languages.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:24 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Reagan would never be elected by today's fanatical Republicans.

Neither would Lincoln. All the traitor-flag wavers and would-be secessionists are firmly GOP these days.
And yet during Trump's presidency there were many of the 'crat party that talked of succession. Some of us haven't forgotten.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...mp-s-u-n681796

https://www.businessinsider.com/cale...secede-2016-11

https://www.mercurynews.com/2016/11/...ornia-dreamin/

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...silicon-valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies