Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you get the vaccine?
Yes, I already got it 239 62.40%
Yes, I will get it 19 4.96%
I probably will get it 13 3.39%
I am torn on whether to get it or not 10 2.61%
I likely will NOT get it 29 7.57%
I will NOT get it 73 19.06%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 09:55 PM

8,132 posts, read 3,671,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No vaccine for me. I've had covid already and I'll take my chances from here on out. Anyway, what people are getting jabbed with now isnt a vaccine, its an experimental gene therapy. Ill pass on that too.
No, it's not (experimental gene therapy). And no matter how many times you repeat crap, it's still crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 10:47 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,011 times
I believe in science so will not get

And I already had covid...

And life normal around here so why?

Old 04-14-2021, 11:41 PM

17,617 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Hey Suzy. At what point do you think society should return to normal, meaning no masks, no social distancing, no capacity limits?

I’m asking for specific markers.

Old 04-15-2021, 01:28 AM

13,252 posts, read 7,304,105 times
I got my first shot few weeks ago no side effects other then a little sore spot on my arm for a day or two. Friend of mine who has taken up conspiracy theory says I didn't get sick because the vaccine I got was just Saline. I keep telling him his employer a school district is going to force him to get the vaccine. He is about 2 years from full retirement really good pension I keep reminding him he have to quit his job to avoid the vaccine says keeping him up at night he lose 80k a year pension. He had a plan to make up a fake vaccine card but with the vaccine passport won't be easy to fake it. I think in the end he will just get the vaccine he won't give up 18 years working toward a retirement because of a conspiracy theory.

Last edited by kell490; 04-15-2021 at 01:36 AM..

Old 04-15-2021, 01:33 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Hey Suzy. At what point do you think society should return to normal, meaning no masks, no social distancing, no capacity limits?

I’m asking for specific markers.
When there is a sustained decline in the number of new cases and hospitalizations, indicating that the risk of encountering someone who is infected is so low that those measures are no longer needed. It does not need to be zero cases, but hundreds or thousands would be too many. Israel is now down to a seven day average of 196 cases per day and a seven day average of seven deaths. What you cannot do is say, "Hurrah, there were no deaths yesterday! Let's open up!" You have to allow enough time to know that the situation has stabilized. Lower numbers of cases mean contact tracing becomes workable, but people have to be willing to cooperate with that.

Then there is the risk of importation of cases from areas where the virus is still actively circulating. If one state is doing great but others are not, everyone in the country has to stay the course. That is also true of allowing people in from other countries. I think we are going to have to mandate proof of immunity - by vaccination or antibody titer - for everyone entering the US, visitors and citizens alike. The only other option in that regard would be a mandatory, enforced (that means supervised) quarantine. Of course, there are those in the US who will not like that idea. We also need to gain control of our southern border.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:55 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I signed my kid up to be a lab rat for a new chemo drug when he had leukemia, and it had a lot more risks than the coronavirus vaccine does.

I suspect that the parents signing their children up have looked at the risks of the vaccine in adults and concluded the risk of the disease is greater than the risk of the vaccine. The risks of the trial are not really totally unknown at this point as they were with the original studies in adults.
Leukemia is MUCH more dangerous to children than covid. In that case I certainly would have signed up my kid for the trial too. My point is that when you balance the risk of a negative outcome from covid, which is statistically zero as another poster put it, vs the danger of a drug that hasn't yet been tested in young humans, which is more than zero (because we just don't know), no rational person can get to "stick it in my kid".

If your kid has leukemia, which has a high risk of a negative outcome, it is easy to balance the risk of an unknown treatment and go for the treatment. But when the risk is essentially zero, as with covid, I just don't see how anyone gets there.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:57 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I got my first shot few weeks ago no side effects other then a little sore spot on my arm for a day or two. Friend of mine who has taken up conspiracy theory says I didn't get sick because the vaccine I got was just Saline. I keep telling him his employer a school district is going to force him to get the vaccine. He is about 2 years from full retirement really good pension I keep reminding him he have to quit his job to avoid the vaccine says keeping him up at night he lose 80k a year pension. He had a plan to make up a fake vaccine card but with the vaccine passport won't be easy to fake it. I think in the end he will just get the vaccine he won't give up 18 years working toward a retirement because of a conspiracy theory.
If he only has two years left he should be fine- the vaccines won't be FDA approved until 2023 at the earliest, and it would be illegal to terminate him for not getting an experimental drug.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:01 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
I will get my second Moderna shot next Wednesday. Woo-hoo!

I'm so happy to see that even here on C-D, which heavily skews MAGA, the vast majority of people either have already gotten vaccinated or intend to. They have not been swayed by the anti-vaxxers. That's great news.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:13 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,055 times
DH and I have received both Pfizer shots and are so relieved we have. DH was a bit fatigued for a day or so but he's fine. I just got my second jab this past Monday and I've just had mild soreness where they gave me the shot. I truly hope and pray we get to herd immunity soon so we can all get back to living our lives again. DH and I have self isolated since March 10th of last year and we are so over it. We'll continue to isolate until my week waiting period is over but will continue to follow CDC guidelines regarding masks to ensure everyone's safety.

My biggest complaint throughout this whole thing is all of the miscommunication. One day they tell us we don't need masks, then it's wear a mask, then it's wear two masks. Stay in your house, don't stay in your house. They still don't know if we can still catch the virus after the vaccine or if we can potentially spread it to others. I honestly don't think these people know what they are doing. Because of our age and underlying conditions, we leaned on the side of caution so we would not catch it. We've worked too hard for too many years to prepare for a fun and worry free retirement. We are finally there and we have no intentions of letting a virus kill us before we can enjoy the fruits of our labor.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:18 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
DH and I have received both Pfizer shots and are so relieved we have. DH was a bit fatigued for a day or so but he's fine. I just got my second jab this past Monday and I've just had mild soreness where they gave me the shot. I truly hope and pray we get to herd immunity soon so we can all get back to living our lives again. DH and I have self isolated since March 10th of last year and we are so over it. We'll continue to isolate until my week waiting period is over but will continue to follow CDC guidelines regarding masks to ensure everyone's safety.

My biggest complaint throughout this whole thing is all of the miscommunication. One day they tell us we don't need masks, then it's wear a mask, then it's wear two masks. Stay in your house, don't stay in your house. They still don't know if we can still catch the virus after the vaccine or if we can potentially spread it to others. I honestly don't think these people know what they are doing. Because of our age and underlying conditions, we leaned on the side of caution so we would not catch it. We've worked too hard for too many years to prepare for a fun and worry free retirement. We are finally there and we have no intentions of letting a virus kill us before we can enjoy the fruits of our labor.
"miscommunication"? uh no, thats an indicator that they dont know what they're talking about. Which by the way will never ever be admitted to.
Also see; all the predictive models that have been wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies