Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2021, 10:25 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
That's exactly the point I have made to others. He handled the AIDs epidemic for Reagan, SARS, and H1N1. And yet he has never, EVER gotten this much attention before.
You can thank social media and Donald Trump for that. Under any other administration, you'd probably still barely know him. So many people either love or hate what he says that they blast it on social media. When Trump was being chaotic sounding in the beginning, Fauci added some calm at that time. In that way, Trump caused the spotlight to shine on him.

Can't compare to Reagan years because there was ZERO social media to amplify this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 10:26 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Fauci doesn't want to paint himself into a corner.

He wants to keep his options and his 15 minutes of fame going indefinitely.

They may have to break this out to use as a political weapon again for the 22 and 24 races....

My question is, why is Fauci seemingly the only go to expert in this field as far as the government and the media are concerned?
You need to read up on Fauci and his 40 years of fame and every Pres since Reagan.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
BS.

His opinion on masks in general should have been based on his knowledge and experience with previous similar viruses.
And so your answer is that we should have all been wearing masks in Jan 2020? Myself, Fauci and all the docs I personally know, disagree with you.

But I have to admit that your solution would have been safer! Just not practical in the real world.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:31 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You can thank social media and Donald Trump for that. Under any other administration, you'd probably still barely know him. So many people either love or hate what he says that they blast it on social media. When Trump was being chaotic sounding in the beginning, Fauci added some calm at that time. In that way, Trump caused the spotlight to shine on him.

Can't compare to Reagan years because there was ZERO social media to amplify this.

Amen!

Social media = yes

Trump = yes...to an extent

For starters, the AIDS epidemic was a big deal and even without social media there was 24/7 coverage on it. We lived in different times so that also plays a role. Trump definitely caused the anti-Trumpsters to come to Fauci's defense, but we live in a day and age now where you get canceled for disagreeing with people like Fauci. If it was Hillary or someone else in office that challenged him the results would've still been the same. Fauci seized that moment and knew he was safe the moment YouTubers and Twitch Stream Players were able to get him to come on for interviews.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
That's exactly the point I have made to others. He handled the AIDs epidemic for Reagan, SARS, and H1N1. And yet he has never, EVER gotten this much attention before.
This is an internet thing.

Back in the AIDS days within relevant medical communities and literature, he was so pervasive at the academic center of AIDS that I had to cancel my NEJM subscription. As a doc I had moved to an area where AIDS was not endemic, and there was so many new medical articles coming out about AIDS, I no longer had use for the journal.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:46 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
And so your answer is that we should have all been wearing masks in Jan 2020? Myself, Fauci and all the docs I personally know, disagree with you.

But I have to admit that your solution would have been safer! Just not practical in the real world.

My answer is that Fauci should have known one way or the other and not lied about it regardless of N-95 mask availability or trying to avoid a panic.

Instead, he lied, flip flopped and took every opportunity to get himself on TV and inflate his image and self importance.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:47 AM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
None of those diseases were on a level of Covid where they became a worldwide pandemic and required shut downs of schools, businesses and travel. There was a good deal of disagreement on how should handle Ebola, I recall the returning nurse being quarantined in a bubble by Christie. But this is far beyond that particularly with the explosion of Facebook and Twitter.

Never saw such hatred for health experts as you can see on this thread and in congress to the point where Fauci needs a body guard.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:52 AM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Interesting example, because people like Fauci remind me of a dad on a family vacation who is clearly lost but won't ask for directions, due to ego, and keeps saying "it's just a few more minutes," like 20 times.

If 13 months into this thing strikes you as too early to ask if we're there yet, when wouldn't be too early to ask that question? 15 months? 2 years? 10 years?
This needs to be solved not only by each state in the nation but worldwide, so many unknowns about this disease especially with the new variants. It really is beside the point anyway states are going there way anyway and make their decisions, some will ignore his advice some will follow.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:29 AM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This needs to be solved not only by each state in the nation but worldwide, so many unknowns about this disease especially with the new variants. It really is beside the point anyway states are going there way anyway and make their decisions, some will ignore his advice some will follow.
Well Fauci isn't in charge of the world..just the US.
A virus mutates and there will always be variants of this virus it seems.

All he keeps saying is that there are too many cases and we have to bring them down to a reasonable number.

People just want to know what he considers a reasonable number. Is that really too much to ask ?
Obviously he has some number in his head.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:14 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
None of those diseases were on a level of Covid where they became a worldwide pandemic and required shut downs of schools, businesses and travel. There was a good deal of disagreement on how should handle Ebola, I recall the returning nurse being quarantined in a bubble by Christie. But this is far beyond that particularly with the explosion of Facebook and Twitter.

Never saw such hatred for health experts as you can see on this thread and in congress to the point where Fauci needs a body guard.

I never saw a doctor have so much power that anyone can immediately get kicked out of his circle if they go about the research in a different way, or bring more data to the table that wasn't given the "Fauci seal of approval." There have been smarter doctors in the room and yet Fauci can simply say he doesn't want to work with them and out they go. Dr Scott Atlas for example. He gave him the cold shoulder which caused Atlas to resign from his position on the team.

I never saw a doctor deflect such a simple question as many times as Fauci has. He can throw out numbers for everything else but can't give us an exact date as to when the masks can come off? Especially when vaccinated? Why is Fauci telling people he still won't go out in public to sporting events or even to dinner when he's been vaccinated?

I never saw a doctor contradict the CDC so many times and challenge them simply because Fauci's OPINION doesn't align with their data. CDC says 3 ft is acceptable and Fauci said no until he was cornered. Now he agrees with them.

I never saw a doctor have such a burning desire to keep moving the goal posts for when we can reopen

I never saw a doctor lash out at multiple states like Texas for rolling back, yet he can't give anyone an answer as to why they're numbers for cases are continuing to drop

I never saw a doctor get his own baseball card and children's storybook, and take on interviews with people who steam and play video games for a living on YouTube

I never saw a doctor go to such great lengths to duck and dodge the topic of how badly this pandemic has affected people's mental health, as well as suicide rates for teens going up. He's giving softball responses to it.

Also, Fauci would have a bodyguard regardless because he's WH staff. And even then I don't feel bad for him. He's playing God and he loves the power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies