Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 09:17 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Nope. Saying let the criminals get what they get if they don’t comply.
But they don't know any of that stuff until they kill the guy -- and then they go backwards and make sure they can justify killing them.

That's an odd way to do justice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 09:24 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yep - all of this though I will say, I think the body cam convincingly establishes that she did not intend to shoot him with the firearm. I do think body cams are completely necessary nowadays because they protect both the police and the arrestee.
I agree regarding body cams. Nobody can accuse me of being a staunch defender of LE actions no matter what the circumstances. I've been highly critical of LE for quite some time now in regards to use of force lethal or otherwise and the whole "thin blue line" mindset. I also do not hold with the thinkin that wearing the badge and uniform makes all cops "heroes" by default any more than the uniform makes all soldiers deserving of the Medal of Honor just because they have seen combat.

However, even with the bodycam footage and audio reaonable doubt as to the officers actions is still obtainable. And I have reservations aplenty as to the mistaking of a firearm for a Taser. We've seen that before. But that brings up some glaringly obvious questions. The biggest being that a Taser is not worn on the strong side. Never have I seen a cop wearing their Taser on the same side as their sidearm. There's a reason for that. It would take a VERY serious brain fart to grab the sidearm thinking it is a Taser.

The sidearm rides high on the strong side. A Taser rides low on the opposite side of the body. Yes, sidearms like the Glock do have a blocky feel similar to many Tasers in the grip area, but grabbing your pistol thinking it's a Taser just doesn't wash with me. They aren't worn even remotely close to where the firearm is or in the same manner. And the Tasers the cops use here are also a glaringly bright canary yellow. Even under serious stress it would be quite difficult to mistake a pistol for one. Besides, aren't cops supposed to be "highly trained and skilled" in the use of their weapons?

That's the argument that these gun ban idiots are fond of using in regards to citizens being armed. That we poor ignorant citizens aren't trained and disciplined in the use of weapons, so we need to rely on the cops to handle that area. Which is of course nonsense, as the most of cops just aren't that good, and if a "veteran" officer such as was involved here could actually mistake her sidearm for a Taser ..well, I rest my case. But that's neither here nor there to my actual point which is that there is a huge hole in which to plant reasonable doubt as to her culpability in this guys death. Even with the body cam video.

And reasonable doubt precludes her being convicted. Or at the very least if not cleared of charges a hung jury and mistrial. I would hazard the prosecution is relying on race politics and a court of public opinion to secure her conviction. The city doesn't want more riots looting arson and general mayhem so they're willing to sacrifice her on the altar of the BLM deities. The shade of Rodney King haunts this case and with Derek Chauvin's trial still underway the threat of a complete meltdown of anything resembling law and order looms large.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:08 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But they don't know any of that stuff until they kill the guy -- and then they go backwards and make sure they can justify killing them.

That's an odd way to do justice.
Not all criminals get shot/killed. They’re simply not as dumb as the Dante type criminals.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:13 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
https://nypost.com/2021/04/13/daunte...killed-by-cop/ Now we know why he attempted to flee the police. He should have not lost his life. However his actions all the way up until the point that the officer made a fatal mistake were all on him. Daunte was wanted for a felony. He obviously knew that and tried to escape.
And yet we unreasonably mourn the death of such people. A good analogy would be Jesse James. Though he is romanticized few mourn his death. People who live dangerously....

Old 04-17-2021, 11:16 AM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Odd isn't it, how struggling with armed police leads to so many deaths.

Why doesn't it happen to those that comply with the officers?

Should the police simply let lawbreakers go if they begin to struggle?

Old 04-17-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Odd isn't it, how struggling with armed police leads to so many deaths.

Why doesn't it happen to those that comply with the officers?

Should the police simply let lawbreakers go if they begin to struggle?
Don't you believe the struggle between police and suspects should be on equal terms?

Old 04-18-2021, 05:07 PM

2,828 posts, read 824,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Don't you believe the struggle between police and suspects should be on equal terms?

Old 04-18-2021, 05:12 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
LOL Equity between police and criminal. I think he was being sarcastic.

Old 04-18-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
LOL Equity between police and criminal. I think he was being sarcastic.
I am definitely not known for being sarcastic. Ever. And it's "equality" of force between suspects and the police for which I strive.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:13 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...r-in-june-2019

Daunte, yeah, a really nice boy.
The boy was a freaking menace to society, I'm not sorry he is dead at all, he, like George Floyd were garbage.,
Daunte left a man in a vegatative state because he shot him, he robbed a young woman, resisted arrest.

This is all sickening, that they make it like this boy was some sort of saint,

Daunte Wright was a piece of garbage,

and now the world is a better place without him.
I have zero sympathy for him at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies