Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2021, 02:29 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,964,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Great. Share with us your 5 year plan about how you plan to solve the problem? Planning on volunteering on being a mentor? Perhaps joining the YMCA outreach programs. Let’s us know the progress
Yeah and what do you think the reception would be from a large part of the black population when these things are pointed out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 02:34 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Who cares who blame who for what? Why do you care if white supremacy gets the blame? The only people who should be offended are white supremacist, which I suspect is probably a very small percentage of white people. I personally know black people who were born out of wedlock. And I still don’t care. That their problem. Not sure why minding your own business is such a weird thing for people.
I’m not offended but clearly a lot of people see a major problem and if they want to solve it, it makes sense to focus on fixing the actual problem. I do mind my own business and you won’t find me talking about this or worrying about in my everyday life, but like you, I responded to it on this message board.

Old 04-14-2021, 02:54 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Goes back to slaves days. Owners could sell the fathers, mothers and kids. So much for family units. IIRC, back in the 50s there were not that many single moms. IMO, the numbers starting growing with the welfare given to families with no father in the home.
Dr. E. Franklin Frazier talked about that in his dissertation, which was later published as a book, The Negro Family in the United States. It was published in 1939. Slavery is mentioned. Daniel Patrick Moynihan also mentioned slavery in The Moynihan Report. It was also mentioned, in both works, that as more Blacks became urbanized, this came with issues, especially the rise of out of wedlock births. It's a multitude of things mentioned.

For the Black population, there has always been a higher rate of fatherless homes. When the New Deal programs were being rolled out, it was done by state. Blacks, for the most part, were finding themselves, excluded. One of the programs was a welfare program for single mothers. Mostly White mothers were allowed to get it. Alot of Black women couldn't get it for many reasons. For this reason, many Black women had to work. This didn't stop the Black population from having out of wedlock birth rate 5-6 times higher than that of Whites. It didn't stop the Black population from having a higher rate of fatherless homes.

In fact, Moynihan had this to say.
Quote:
E. Franklin Frazier makes clear that at the time of emancipation Negro women were already "accustomed to playing the dominant role in family and marriage relations" and that this role persisted in the decades of rural life that followed.
https://www.dol.gov/general/aboutdol...n/moynchapter3

Old 04-14-2021, 03:54 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Quote:
I’m a black man and I don’t care about black out of wedlock birthdates. And neither should you. It has zero impact in my life. And I suspect it has even less impact on yours. So if it’s something that has no impact on your life, then why waste your time talking about it? Why do people feel this constant need to showcase how inferior they feel black people are. I mean it’s not hard to find positive images of black men and women. It really isn’t. But we would rather waste our time talking about the negatives.

If you have such a huge problem with black children growing up without a father, then volunteer. Become a mentor. Be part of the solution. If not then put a cork in it and go about your life. I personally am not inclined to try to solve the problem, hence I don’t talk about it. See how that works?
I agree. The ones who point out other's faults are usually the ones living less than exemplary lives, needing to project their own shortcomings on others. Why else would it be an issue for them?

Old 04-14-2021, 04:26 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Why is this never a discussion point?

Why are so many black men ending up in crime and in front of police in order to even be fatally shot by accident?

Wouldn't addressing the family and how people are raised help to solve this situation long term?

Blacks are angry and have been for a long time. They made a deal with the Democrats way back in the early 1960s and they are still in 2021 burning down their own neighborhoods! What have the last 60 years of voting 92% democrat gotten them?

This is a serious issue but WHY IS THIS NEVER TOUCHED WITH A 10 FOOT POLE????? I give credit to Don Lemon for bringing this up, although this was a long time ago. I doubt he'd bring this up today.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...frican-americ/
Sometimes I wonder if there is anything that so much of the black community engages in, that a white supremacist would not be begging them to do, to destroy their lives. Having so many children aborted and 70% that they don't kill are born out of wedlock, is certainly at the top of the list. Being sure to drop out of school and be seen looting on TV for the cameras would also be on that list

Old 04-14-2021, 04:48 PM

724 posts, read 403,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Sometimes I wonder if there is anything that so much of the black community engages in, that a white supremacist would not be begging them to do, to destroy their lives. Having so many children aborted and 70% that they don't kill are born out of wedlock, is certainly at the top of the list. Being sure to drop out of school and be seen looting on TV for the cameras would also be on that list
A lot of it starts with the neighborhood environment.

Look at the violent and filthy conditions a black man in Philadelphia grows up in, and the poor schools, etc. It highlights the need and importance of community, and family structure. Without it, it makes life challenging. And the absence of parenting shows up as poor socialization and not knowing how to behave and conduct yourself in public. Unfortunately, many African American children are affected by this.

Old 04-14-2021, 04:49 PM

13,447 posts, read 4,289,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I agree. The ones who point out other's faults are usually the ones living less than exemplary lives, needing to project their own shortcomings on others. Why else would it be an issue for them?

silly response. Out of wedlock babies has consequences to all. More dependency and higher taxes. Both of you have arrogant attitudes. You say it's none of our business saying anything about behavior that affects us and then have the gall to say if we don't embrace it and give in by throwing more money to the problem (we already spend too much) than we are the problem by speaking of the elephant in the room.

it's like SHUT UP and keep paying in the system to failed programs and bad behavior. Reminds of a liberal that tells me, if you aren't giving money to poor countries or try to fix their problems and for amnesty (racist comes after) then you shouldn't complain about illegal immigration. My answer is, their actions affect me and my taxes and is not my responsibility to fix countries that I'm not a citizen or I have never been and it's their responsibility.

Old 04-14-2021, 05:41 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
It's really pretty simple. Not hard to figure out why this is happening.

Our system is now set up that you can secure a more financially secure situation for yourself by having several children out of wedlock and therefore being qualified to get on the "system" of rental subsidies, Medicaid, welfare, and food stamps, than trying to be self-sufficient and make it working at low-wage, crap jobs, with little benefits, where the minimum wage has not been raised in decades.

Getting onto the Social Service merry-go-round has been passed down now as the way to survive going on about three generations now, among people of low means, and especially in the minority communities. That requires having babies, and then telling the father of the babies to get out of the home, and out of the picture. That's how our system works, unfortunate, but true.

Until getting married to the father of your children and going to work becomes a MORE VIABLE financial alternative, this will continue in an unending cycle, one that we tax payers will have to continue to subsidize.

We either force companies to start paying people more to make the effort to work (yes, even burger flipping), or we all pay for it anyway because there is more incentive to have dependent children out of wedlock than there is to go make $8.00 at the local fast food joint or big box store with little to no benefits.

Old 04-14-2021, 05:46 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times
It is indeed one of the single most significant failures of the African American culture. Not sure IF it will ever change or best case when.......

Old 04-14-2021, 05:47 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Were all of your children born in wedlock?
All of mine were except my son who I adopted. He is black, his dad and I were best friends. His mom dropped him off at his father's house and wanted nothing more to do with him. Lucky for my son because her clan are bunch of thugs and losers.

I dont care about a mariage license. I care about parental involvement. Father figures, mother figures, integrity of the family. These are important to child development. I think it obvious especially in inner cities like Chicago and such that gangs just aren't a good substitute for a strong family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies