Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 08:23 AM

24,324 posts, read 17,065,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Here again contradicting narrative.....Biden is being slammed for his mistreatment of the migrants at the border but you post that they are treated better than struggling US citizens.

The Democrat party does not overwhelming support disbanding the police and even defunding is not universally accepted by the party.

In 2020 many voted for the Democrats because of gun control issues........

What can anyone think but that Biden is treating the "migrants" better than US citizens when all one needs to do is click on videos that show how desperate it is for so many homeless US citizens living in tent cities on the sidewalks of so many once prosperous and beautiful Democrat run cities. This is happening today while Biden spends $86 million to put the "migrants" up in hotels. I wonder if we are also picking up the tab for room service?

We don't hear from Republicans any calls to disband and defund the Police. The latest is a call to disarm them when they are engaged in one of the most dangerous parts of their job and that is the traffic stop.

The only reason why Democrats stopped talking about Disbanding, Defunding and Disarming the Police is because it cost them votes in the last election.

Gun control issues are always a hot topic for the Democrats that often ignore the root problem of so many things in favor of enacting new laws that only affect the law abiding. It is ironic that even Democrats are now buying up guns and it is not to defend themselves from the made up enemy of white supremacy but the latest Democrat policies have put people into a perpetual state of fear.

If the Democrats really want their gun control measures to be successful they first need to clamp down on the criminals before attacking the law abiding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 11:45 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,459,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
The tipping point event in Canada cost the lives of 4 RCMP...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayerthorpe_tragedy

We might watch for a similar event here in the States. With the "hate the cops" agenda being pushed hard it could happen.....
Tipping point?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean.
-
That incident wasn't about police hatred, but about police busting a grow-op.

However your point does show you that incidents like that stand out in Canada, because they are rare. That event happened 15 years ago.

If not a tipping point, but still resonates with Canadians today ( of a certain age ) was The École Polytechnique shooting back in 1989.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:48 AM

20,018 posts, read 8,913,884 times
Biden says opening up these Gun Turn In Centers will create jobs.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
There are 10x as many people in the US as in Canada, for starters.

A direct comparison between the two is invalid. You should know that as a functioning adult, so I have no option but to believe that you're being intentionally disingenuous.
No two countries can have an exact direct comparison, however, two western countries that share a lot of things in common, can.

To suggest that somehow America is so different, that sensible gun laws can't stem some of the violence, means what? You guys just give up? This is just the way life is. Go to the mall, the spa, the grocery store, or just to work, and hey, if 10 or 20 people get shot, who cares? This is America!!!

This guy gets it.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2021/0...n-violence.cnn

Old 04-17-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Canada, I love you guys, but what have you ever done... All by yourselves that would make others want to follow your example?

Sorry, but Canada isn’t the answer to any of the issues in the world, let alone just the United States.

Natnasci, just be Canadian and have a great day!!
It wasn't me that brought up Canada. I'm simply countering the claim that gun laws don't work in Canada.

What have we ever done?

That's for a whole different thread.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm going to get a little philosophical with you on this, because you need a better understanding of guns and because it's Saturday morning and I'm at my desk waiting for a customer who's supposed to call and I have the time to kill.

We'll start with people. Let's say you want someone to do something. Could be anything. You want your child to clean up the mess they just made, for example, and they don't want to.

You can talk to and reason with them, trying to convince them that it makes sense for them to clean up their mess, attempting bribes with toys or TV time, etc., or you can threaten/use violence and force them to do it.

Those are the options - convince them or force them. You can extend that to everything in life. For instance, I don't want to wear a mask unnecessarily, and I haven't been convinced that I should. If you want me to, you'll have to force me with the threat of government violence.

What is a gun?

Most people would answer that it's a thing. An object. A small, simple machine designed to send projectiles along as straight a path as possible.

It's that, but it's more than that, too.

Let's say you have a 90lb, 90yo woman and a 250lb, 25yo weightlifter. The old woman is walking down the street, headed to the pharmacy to pick up her pills.

The weightlifter steps in front of her and says, "Give me your wallet."

That's not very convincing language, so she says, "No, I don't want to."

Undeterred, the weightlifter then says, "Give me your wallet or I'll crush you like a bug."

At this point, the old woman has no choice. The threat of physical force and the obvious ability to follow through with that threat is enough to make her give up the wallet, rather than risk losing her life.

Now, add a gun to the story.

When the weightlifter demands the wallet, the old lady pulls out a gun, instead of her wallet.

Suddenly, the entire situation has changed. The person with the obvious and clear force advantage has just been neutered. The amount of force either of them can apply to the other has been equalized, and the weightlifter, despite his size and strength advantage, no longer has any overall advantage, at all.

A gun is a force equalizer.

Without a gun, I'm subject to the whims of anyone who can overpower me. A government, especially one as large and capable as ours, can overpower me easily and force me to do pretty much anything they want.

If I have a gun, they can still overpower me, but there will be significant costs associated with that action.

If I have a gun, and a few million like minded patriots also have guns, WE have the force advantage over the government. Even one as large and capable as ours.

When a government restricts guns or access to them, they're limiting the power of the citizenry. They're reducing the amount of force that the People have available to them. As regulations stack up, the ability of the citizens to mount any kind of effective rebellion is reduced. Eventually, the laws (if adhered to) remove that ability altogether.

Notice also that government is exempt from nearly every gun law on the books. Pretty odd, for a country that's self-governed, isn't it? Our government is "of the People," right? The government is us. We are the government. But the government can have stuff we can't?

Remember, we're citizens, not subjects.

Just got the info from my customer, so I'll wrap this up. You challenged the notion that guns equal freedom. Hopefully, I've given you something to think about in that regard. If it was a little bit of a ramble, I apologize. Didn't get a chance to proofread/edit, and I wasn't expecting to lay this out this morning.
Your fantasy makes a good Hallmark movie, but in reality, the carnage out there on your streets and homes is a different type of movie. More like Quentin Tarantino.

However let's take that made up 90 year old woman and make here into one of these poor souls.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...on-be-n1261855

Now I suspect you'll be saying, " but if they had guns they'd be alive." Probably not, but is that the kind of society you want to live in? Where people need to carry weapons just to go to the store? That is the OPPOSITE of freedom.

Canadians are citizens as well, not subjects. You have to brush up on your Canadian history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies