Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 08:50 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
If they were racing or even speeding, that's on them. People need to pay attention to road conditions in any type of weather.
Setting off sprinklers on what sounds like a residential area, people shouldn't be going fast enough for hydroplaning to be much of an issue to begin with.
They could set out spikes for all I care.

Street racing and whatever donut-twirling showboating they're doing out there are just a couple of many examples of disregard our society has for basic decency on the roads.
I'm usually pretty conservative/libertarian-ish, but this has become one area I have no patience for. It's a nuisance for everyone, almost impossible to escape. If bad enough, it can make life incredibly unpleasant, only slightly preferable to a war zone.
Perhaps we should rethink our usual policy of handing out drivers licenses to anything with a pulse.
I'd also be fine with closing off most city streets to car traffic and ripping out half our highways and replacing them with rail.
Mobility, to move about freely, is a right, but driving a 2-ton hunk of steel at high speeds among the public is a privilege that should not be taken as lightly as we take it.
We don't need to get rid of roads, we need law enforcement and actual penalties for breaking the law.
Unless that changes things are going to get so much worse for the law abiding public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 09:15 AM

6,963 posts, read 2,697,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
In the article they clearly stated that in one week end they issued 68 citations....sounds to me like there is some effort....problem is hard to completely stop.
Forget the citations. Charge them with reckless driving and confiscate their cars.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:21 AM

9,846 posts, read 4,626,999 times
They let street racers go yet they're places if one rolls a foot past a stop sign they get a ticket.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:38 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,520,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Forget the citations. Charge them with reckless driving and confiscate their cars.
They had a crackdown here back in March, 222 arrests and 12 vehicles seized over one weekend.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...harris-county/

Old 07-08-2021, 09:38 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
They let street racers go yet they're places if one rolls a foot past a stop sign they get a ticket.
That is the problem and why good people need to be wary of police. They find the easiest least resistant targets- us, maybe doing something stupid like jaywalking or driving a little over the limit. It's easier to pick on us than chasing after gang bangers driving 1000hp street machines.

Someone in my neighborhood had their car stolen from their driveway and the police didn't care, even made sarcastic and rude remarks to the victim and made a display of their apathy. Car thefts are rare here so it isn't a routine event. Even the fire department have been jerks lately, I don't know what is going on, there don't seem to be any good guys anymore. It is like the people are scared to speak up, only a few will even talk about this but I'm glad they do because now I know what to expect if I need to report anything. I have actually resisted doing so when I was a victim a few years ago, out of fear of having it turned around on me.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:16 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,027,743 times
I can't believe ppl here are arguing street racing is a victimless crime. Ever hear of pedestrians or other drivers? Heck, even ppl inside buildings can be injured when cars smash into restaurants or storefronts. Street racing cars should be seized and any driver who causes a hit and run shot in the back (to cause permanent paralysis) by the victim or their family. If you cripple or kill someone then you should suffer the consequences for life too.

Old 07-08-2021, 11:43 AM

21,463 posts, read 10,566,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
They had a crackdown here back in March, 222 arrests and 12 vehicles seized over one weekend.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...harris-county/
Yes, right after two pedestrians were killed and another seriously injured and a few days later the guy killed a mom and her three small sons (article about that posted earlier in thread).

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. There have been many accidents before and after that sting operation and it doesn’t seem to change behavior. The only thing that will is more enforcement of traffic laws. At some point the pendulum has to swing in the favor of law abiding citizens and against violent and dangerous behaviors. I don’t care what race is most affected by enforcement. Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time. It’s entirely up to the individuals.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:10 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,027,743 times
Suppliers of illegal street racing gear should also be liable for civil and criminal penalties.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:49 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,566,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Yes, right after two pedestrians were killed and another seriously injured and a few days later the guy killed a mom and her three small sons (article about that posted earlier in thread).

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. There have been many accidents before and after that sting operation and it doesn’t seem to change behavior. The only thing that will is more enforcement of traffic laws. At some point the pendulum has to swing in the favor of law abiding citizens and against violent and dangerous behaviors. I don’t care what race is most affected by enforcement. Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time. It’s entirely up to the individuals.
My words were confusing. The guy who killed the pedestrian onlookers was not the same as the guy who killed the mom and three children.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Georgia, like most states, is having an increase in people doing donuts and other things in parking lots and drag racing on highways and streets. I live right on a major road and hear it almost every night from aboytv10:30 to 3 (I am a light sleeper). I have called the police a couple times, as have neighbors. They say they will investigate. But it seems like they are never there on their own, even though they know it happens especially on Saturday nights.

I wondered why there isn’t more of a crackdown and today read an article in the paper. Critics are against more penalties and arrests because they say it will disproportionately impact people of color. ??? I don’t see how the police stopping this activity is disproportionately targeting people of color. I honestly had no idea what races were doing it...I actually thought it would be a more white redneck type thing like NASCAR more than black. But if it impacts people of color more because the majority doing it are of color, than so be it. Critics are afraid that people will lose their cars (and it could be a car that a person borrowed from their family), be charged with crimes, etc. So now we aren’t going to prosecute crimes if they are more typically committed by minorities? Should we just reserve arrests and prosecution for crimes more typically committed by whites, like white collar crime a la Bernie Madoff?

And these critics don’t seem concerned about innocent peoples’ property, body, and lives being impacted or lost...just that people committing criminally dangerous activities might get charged with crimes and have penalties...like the Southern Center fir Human Rights. What about the human rights of innocent people on the road? Yeah, I get it, stay off the roads after 10 pm and let them have their playgrounds. But before my husband died, there were ER visits at 2 am. It was scary enough to deal with emergency medical issues, but at least I just had to worry about drunk drivers then and not this racing. And by the way, I hear it so much that I have started to use white noise and nature sounds to cover it up.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...LVRWQC3ZAIK2E/
Because motor vehicle code violations are all civil and can only be criminal, if intentional harm is in involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies