Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 12:02 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
You cant stop a crazy person. They will find other ways to destroy stuff. Guns are not the problem.
This, a maniac isn’t going to be stopped, guns will still be sold by the black market. Evil people don’t follow laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 12:02 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
I laugh at people that think they are going up against the US Army with an AR15...

All I will say to that is that the French and Indian War was not fought traditionally.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:03 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post
An AR-15 ban for starters.

It's the easiest gun to mow down many people in mass shootings.

Then we need to overhaul our mental health system. Open up insane asylums again
The majority of rampage shootings did not use an AR15. Also, the majority of firearms homicides did not use AR15's.

So, right out of the gate, your first suggestion wouldn't make a difference.

As to your second one, I couldn't agree more. You are absolutely spot on there.

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
I don't own any guns, but don't consider myself anti-gun. It's just not something that's important to me.

I equate the gun reform debate to drug use: There are laws, jail time, fines, etc. in place to supposedly curb drug use in this country. How is that working out?

It would be no different with guns. If people want them, are willing to pay for them - they will find a way to obtain them. No reform is going to stop the nut jobs with ill intent from getting their hands on guns if they want them. Therefore, reform in my opinion will do very little to prevent mass shootings.

Quote:

They would still buy it on the black market.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:04 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:

How many AR's do you think get used in gang violence in Chicago? Why does it still happen?

Having said that, my dad used a gun very similar to an AR as a kid. Every kid had access to them, yet, we didn't see shootings like this. Why?

Fix the violence problem in Chicago, LA, Baltimore, etc...and then maybe I'll listen.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:05 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
It was 20 white first graders.

What kind of slaughter will there have to be for any real gun reform. A whole school?
I think that is a question no politician is willing to answer at this point. Still. It's heartbreaking.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
The majority of rampage shootings did not use an AR15. Also, the majority of firearms homicides did not use AR15's.

So, right out of the gate, your first suggestion wouldn't make a difference.

As to your second one, I couldn't agree more. You are absolutely spot on there.
Yes, definitely do something about mental health and help for the mentally ill. The politicians seem to ignore that.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:06 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
What is "real gun reform?"
Real gun reform is abolishing the 2nd Amendment and the civilian possession of firearms. Which would leave firearms only in the hands of government agencies, government officials, celebrities, oligarch's and of course criminals.

When all of the above surrender their weapons then I'll be willing to listen. After all if banning and confiscating them from law abiding people would solve our crime problem which supposedly is the intended purpose for those laws. Then why would any of the above need guns?

Quote:
The debate over gun control can be summed up thusly: Those of us who don't like guns in the hands of our non-costumed brethren, will vote to ensure men with guns, under the guise of the "law," will come and take the property that is rightfully yours, killing you should you resist our will sufficiently.

This is what we call "violence by-proxy" and makes the voter for violence no less culpable in the extortion and death that will ensue.

As Stefan Molyneux correctly observed; if a person claims they are non-violent and are for “gun control” they are not truly anti-gun nor are they non-violent people - because the reality is that guns and violence will be needed to disarm innocent law abiding people.

This is because those people who claim they are anti-gun and anti-violence, who claim to support “gun control,” will need the credible threat of police violence and the police’s guns to take away other people’s guns should they resist the attempt to further centralize their monopoly on violence.

So those who claim to be anti-gun and anti-violence are really very pro-gun and very pro-violence. They ultimately believe that only government officials (which are of course portrayed as reliable, honest, moral, and virtuous) should be allowed to have guns. This obviously flies in the face of reality as the 20th century has proven once and for all.

It’s important to note that those who advocate this type of centralized monopoly of violence do so as cowards, because it’s not their lives on the line, rather they advocate others using violence on their behalf in
order to force their misguided views on innocent people who wish to do nothing other than protect themselves and other innocents.

There is no such thing as "gun control," there is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small, political class and the forces they control which, as recent history has proven is a murderous nightmare for the peace loving, disenfranchised, and disarmed citizenry.--Ron Danielowski
Quote:
“But to ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow. …
For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. 
Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding.” Jeff Snyder
Quote:
"There are only a few laws in history that are universally applicable. One of these is that the ruling classes do not want the peasantry armed. They will do what they can to convince you that to be armed is dangerous. They will attempt to do this while they themselves are surrounded by armed body guards. Idiots will not notice this hypocrisy and sycophants will ignore it. Fools will surrender their arms in the name of "safety". They will insensibly surrender their liberty at the same time. This is how slaves are made."

Old 04-16-2021, 12:07 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
It was 20 white first graders.

What kind of slaughter will there have to be for any real gun reform. A whole school?
Translation: I thought Sandy Hook would cause the government to take firearms away from law abiding citizens who had nothing to do with it. And I assume criminals and nutjobs actually care what the law says.

Do you have any third strike you'd like to swing at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies