Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2021, 12:41 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times

Advertisements

Friday’s episode of the Georgia public policy radio show “Political Rewind” discusses and examines how the ongoing national controversy over Georgia’s new election reform law has ignited some serious tensions between the Republicans and conservatives that dominate Georgia state government and the large major corporate community (much of which is based in and around Georgia’s largest city and seat of state government in Atlanta) that dominates Georgia’s economy.

Quote:
But now, homegrown corporate giants are finding themselves in the crosshairs of the fierce partisan fight over the state’s new election law. Republicans are launching criticism of Coca-Cola, Delta Air Lines and other companies for their statements denouncing new election laws that critics claim roll back voting rights in the state.

Meanwhile, voting rights advocates are demanding corporations go further in condemning what they call clear voter suppression or face boycotts.

So, how is the recent fallout affecting Georgia’s reputation as a state where business leaders and politicians can effectively work together? And if the GOP stands its ground on this issue, what is the future of the relationship between state Republicans and the businesses they have long courted?
Political Rewind: Georgia Elections Law Ignites Tensions Between GOP And Big Business (Georgia Public Broadcasting)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 01:03 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Default Maria Saporta: Georgia benefits from the presence of Atlanta’s “enlightened” corporate leadership

Veteran Atlanta civic journalist and civic activist Maria Saporta opines about how the state of Georgia has long benefited from the presence of the state’s Atlanta-dominated large major corporate community (lead by Atlanta-based companies like Delta Air Lines and Coca-Cola) that Georgia state government now (again) finds itself at loggerheads with over the controversial election reform law.

Saporta writes that this public back-and-forth between Georgia’s conservative Republican state government leaders and the state’s high-profile and domineering corporate community is hurting Georgia’s national and international image as a leading place to do business.

Quote:
The end result is that this skirmish is hurting Georgia’s image as a business-friendly state...

... It all feels so counterproductive to Georgia’s long-term interests of being an economically competitive state that is attractive to new corporate investment...

... It makes even less sense for Kemp and state legislators to go after Delta and Coca-Cola, two companies that contribute millions of dollars to the state’s coffers. Some have questioned whether the current anti-business stance at the legislature is emanating from a fear these companies are contributing to Georgia’s shift from a red state to a blue state.
Georgia benefits from the presence of enlightened Atlanta-based companies (Saporta Report)

Old 04-17-2021, 01:45 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
The tide is changing. Corps are now in the hands of younger people.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:56 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Excerpt:Georgia election reform law controversy ignites tensions between GOP and big business

Response: Opinion

Big business has taken a page from Antifa and BLM seek and destroy chapter .
When business disagrees it now destroys the economy by leveraging power.
Business picks up and leaves. Monetarily destructive.

As big business relocate elsewhere so will Local business.
There will be a great need for vacant land.
If Amazon can set up major hubs in rural areas so can other business.
Local business will no longer serve the needs of the People.
People will have to travel to fortified rural areas for their purchases or simply
purchase all their basic needs on line and wait for next day delivery.
But need not worry!
Bill Gates has a half a billion acres of land ready to sell but it's going to cost a pretty penny.

In the mean time........Hope you are not on the bowl when you run out of your last sheet of toilet paper.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 04-17-2021 at 03:11 AM..

Old 04-17-2021, 03:10 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Any controversy over Georgia's Laws are leftist created out of thin cloth.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:07 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,859,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Exactly, Georgia's new laws actually puts in line with some of the most blue of states like NY.
The funniest one is when the leftist complain about the removal of unregulated, and unsecured ballot drop boxes, something that didn't even exist prior to 2020

Old 04-17-2021, 04:24 AM

7,368 posts, read 3,533,397 times
Well if you needed proof Republicans are not the party of big business...well here it is.

It ain't 1920 anymore folks. A lot has changed in corporate america since 1980.

Now we have kinder, gentler companies who want to sell products to you. If these companies aren't shaking their fists in anger, they will be boycotted by the media and the followers of the media and that makes them look bad. Companies do not want people providing free negative marketing on twitter. Even Chick Fil A decided to get on board and donated a lot of money to the ADL and other progressive groups

Old 04-17-2021, 04:50 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Most political controversy is created of thin cloth...doesn't mean it doesn't have an impact.

Not sure what the end game is for these corporations. I am of the opinion that these corporations could have easily tried to influence the bill in Georgia BEFORE it was passed -- and they didn't. I'm not sure what all the after the deed is done criticism will do.

While many on the left and right are tribally loyal or do not fall for the circus antics on both sides, it does appear that many folks go for all of it. That means that all of this public criticism of the bill may impact voters who go for all the showman stuff. Let's be real ---- it is clear voters like a big show.

Old 04-17-2021, 05:06 AM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
Well, these same corporations will end up losing the support and $$$$$ from the other half of America... I will NEVER fly Delta again, or support the MLB, NBA and the NFL. Heck, I just switched to 7-Up soda from Sprite and will move away from all other Coke-Cola products as well.

Yes, I’m only one person and I know they don’t care about my individual purchasing power, but I’m sure they will slowly start seeing that their WOKE-ISM will cost them money in the long run. Seriously, I will not support any corporations who feels that they have the right to force their WOKE ideals onto me, but at the same time want my money, while they’re screwing me/us over.

...Screw them!!

Old 04-17-2021, 06:08 AM

7,368 posts, read 3,533,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Well, these same corporations will end up losing the support and $$$$$ from the other half of America... I will NEVER fly Delta again, or support the MLB, NBA and the NFL. Heck, I just switched to 7-Up soda from Sprite and will move away from all other Coke-Cola products as well.

Yes, I’m only one person and I know they don’t care about my individual purchasing power, but I’m sure they will slowly start seeing that their WOKE-ISM will cost them money in the long run. Seriously, I will not support any corporations who feels that they have the right to force their WOKE ideals onto me, but at the same time want my money, while they’re screwing me/us over.

...Screw them!!
What annoys me is they do this for publicly and positive marketing. It's all about money to them. The working poor suffer by them pulling out of states they supposedly disagree with....all for lining their pockets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies