Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 01:13 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Your contention is that if the 2nd Amendment didn’t exist the crazy guy would have been unable to harm other people?
It would have been much more difficult for him to have done so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 01:16 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Then if he was such a danger, then why didn't the FBI or the family have him committed long before for being a danger to others and himself. Has NOTHING to do with the second amendment.

But then again, I won't be surprised if this is another false flag attack orchestrated by the deep state to try and get people to go against the second amendment.
The family couldn't get him committed neither could the courts, very similar to the movie theater shooter in Louisiana. The second amendment has everything to do with this and that is why the courts failed, permanently separating him from guns is a difficult task. it's easier to ban someone from flying than removing a gun.

Old 04-18-2021, 01:22 PM

23,464 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And after one ran a few people over that were not around, people would have stopped it... A gun is harder to know to watch for sheeple.
Uh huh. You can stop a big truck barreling down on you? wow. Why weren't you in Nice to stop the one lone guy in a truck before he ran over and killed 86 people and injured 458 others?

Old 04-18-2021, 01:23 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
No it doesn’t. Mental health is one of the things covered in background checks. Hole should never have passed a background check due to previous behavior and having a firearm confiscated. The only entity responsible for Hole being able to legally purchase the firearms he used is law enforcement, who failed to flag him on the previous occasion.

The question I asked isn’t hypothetical at all. Had Hole not been in possession of firearms he could still have caused murder and mayhem simply by driving over people in the crowded parking lot. In fact, there are multiple ways that he could have caused far more damage than he actually did. Crazy will find a way to be crazy, no matter what laws we have in place. The issue that needs to be addressed is mental health. Blaming the 2nd Amendment, guns, or any other inanimate entity for the actions of crazy people is merely a distraction from the real and growing problem of mental health.
Background checks are only as good as the data put into the system and some states have indicated less than a few dozen people with metal health issues. Plenty of countries have mental health issues do they get better care, but they don't have such easy access to guns. We aren't the only country with mentally ill but these shootings happen constantly, we need to focus on both.

Sure he could have still acquired guns with a few hundred thousand that go missing each year in the US, we don't need to make it easier.

Old 04-18-2021, 01:27 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Uh huh. You can stop a big truck barreling down on you? wow. Why weren't you in Nice to stop the one lone guy in a truck before he ran over and killed 86 people and injured 458 others?
If trucks are so much better a way to kill large numbers of people, why don't we have more mass killers using them instead of guns?

In cases like the FedEx killer, he was specifically targeting people at his former workplace. It's easier to go into the building with a gun and kill people that way. With a truck you can only go into certain areas where you can drive a truck into. In most indoor areas you can't get a truck in there, so guns are much easier.

It's sad this needs to be pointed out.

Old 04-18-2021, 01:49 PM

23,464 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
If trucks are so much better a way to kill large numbers of people, why don't we have more mass killers using them instead of guns?

In cases like the FedEx killer, he was specifically targeting people at his former workplace. It's easier to go into the building with a gun and kill people that way. With a truck you can only go into certain areas where you can drive a truck into. In most indoor areas you can't get a truck in there, so guns are much easier.

It's sad this needs to be pointed out.
Sure, right.
If you actually sat and thought about this then you could come up with many ways a person could kill others without using guns.

Usually a lot of people in areas around beaches and lakes, fairs, sports arena parking lots, parks, business parking lots, walkways, bike paths, streets, etc, where trucks can be driven. Wherever people wander around in the streets and on sidewalks like Mardi Gras, or in Dem cities where blm antifa are playing in the streets, etc. If guns weren't around then more people might turn to the internet to learn bomb building. Smuggling a few pipe bombs into a building, fertilizer in a truck parked next to a building, etc.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/03/world...cts/index.html

Old 04-18-2021, 01:51 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:
No it doesn’t. Mental health is one of the things covered in background checks. Hole should never have passed a background check due to previous behavior and having a firearm confiscated. The only entity responsible for Hole being able to legally purchase the firearms he used is law enforcement, who failed to flag him on the previous occasion.

The question I asked isn’t hypothetical at all. Had Hole not been in possession of firearms he could still have caused murder and mayhem simply by driving over people in the crowded parking lot. In fact, there are multiple ways that he could have caused far more damage than he actually did. Crazy will find a way to be crazy, no matter what laws we have in place. The issue that needs to be addressed is mental health. Blaming the 2nd Amendment, guns, or any other inanimate entity for the actions of crazy people is merely a distraction from the real and growing problem of mental health.
Let's think about this:

A truck can go up to maybe say, 50mph in the crowded parking lot that you speak of?

How fast do bullets travel? Way faster than 50mph. I take my chances with dodging a truck.

Unless the parking lot is built like a bumper car ring or the employees are lined up perfectly to be mowed down like bowling pins, the best outcome for any lunatic trying to run people over is probably injure two persons before crashing into other trucks or building, injuring the lunatic and disabling the truck. He could probably catch one person by surprise. But after running that person over he would have to chase down the second person who by now is running frantically away. By the time he drags himself inside the second truck, I guarantee you all the people will have vacated the parking lot.

I'm sure many things can be used as weapons, a pen, a plywood, a shoe, or even a fist. When I look a picture of that skinny 19-yr-old dude, I'm pretty sure whatever weapon he comes at me besides a gun, I'd have a good fighting chance of knocking that SOB to the ground. And I'm almost certain if one of my colleague join me in the fight, he'd have no chance.

Last edited by beb0p; 04-18-2021 at 02:01 PM..

Old 04-18-2021, 03:06 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The family and FBI knew of his problem but it appears he was protected by the 2nd Amendment.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/16/us/in...ity/index.html
Your thesis doesn't hold up... if he were protected by the 2nd amendment, his shotgun would not have been seized.

The failure in this case lies elsewhere.

Old 04-18-2021, 03:27 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Nice job, FBI.
Nice job McConnell for shooting down multiple attempts to enact "red flag" legislation.

Old 04-18-2021, 03:39 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Nice job McConnell for shooting down multiple attempts to enact "red flag" legislation.
Indiana has a red flag law... and it has previously been used against this murderer.

Last edited by Ultor; 04-18-2021 at 03:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies