Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 08:47 AM

13,517 posts, read 7,808,159 times

Advertisements

I thought this opinion piece could stimulate some discussion. The points I think are especially strong are the first two - why are we suddenly so trusting of pharmaceutical corporations? - and #16 about the lack of permitting debate and dissent against the approved narrative.

Opinion - 18 Reasons I Won't Be Getting a Covid Vaccine

Old 04-17-2021, 09:42 AM

5,675 posts, read 4,221,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I thought this opinion piece could stimulate some discussion. The points I think are especially strong are the first two - why are we suddenly so trusting of pharmaceutical corporations? - and #16 about the lack of permitting debate and dissent against the approved narrative.

Suddenly so trusting? We? You mean the "we" that willingly spends billions of dollars on pharmaceuticals every year?

I'm not going to read the opinion piece because I'll take science over opinion. I take as few medications as necessary and all vaccines that are wise to take, based on science and caring for my health.

Anyway this thread will be gone from Health in minutes, so it was nice knowing ya...

Old 04-17-2021, 09:55 AM

5,830 posts, read 3,604,848 times
Quote:

Actually, there is very little in that piece that could rightfully be labeled as "opinion". The overwhelming majority of it is cold hard FACTS. I read it several days ago and thought about posting it here, but it seems that many people here just don't want to deal with FACTS that don't support their pre-conceived opinions.

EDIT: And before someone comes along and cherrypicks a sentence or two and argues that it's wrong or simply opinion, I ask that they first list all 18 reasons and then tell us precisely what is not factual about them.

Old 04-17-2021, 10:01 AM

1,147 posts, read 851,079 times
Quote:

None of those address the question as to why they are against this specific vaccine but apply to all vaccines thus they are suffering from the same problem of generalization as a reason why to take this vaccine or not.

One needs to address issues of private rights vs the common good going back to the days of the black plague in order to take a historical perspective on all the issues confronting a pandemic. The more that was found from a science perspective the greater the governmental directed efforts were to confront and combat such a pandemic and the more individual rights took a back seat. All mitigating efforts eventually trampled on individual rights with the premise that your rights do not TRUMP my individual rights when it comes to uncontrolled dispersion of infectious agents in the public realm.

Vaccines became the perfect middle ground that balanced your rights to those of others in going about the public realm. It was thus granted governmental favoritism with added rights and privileges that benefited governments and society. They lowered the burden on government and on society from mortality and morbidity.

Old 04-17-2021, 10:10 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,283,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Actually, there is very little in that piece that could rightfully be labeled as "opinion". The overwhelming majority of it is cold hard FACTS. I read it several days ago and thought about posting it here, but it seems that many people here just don't want to deal with FACTS that don't support their pre-conceived opinions.

EDIT: And before someone comes along and cherrypicks a sentence or two and argues that it's wrong or simply opinion, I ask that they first list all 18 reasons and then tell us precisely what is not factual about them.
There were some facts...combined with a lot of opinion, supposition, conjecture, and fanciful interpretation. I'll take my chances with the vaccine - you do whatever you want.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:11 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,978,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
There were some facts...combined with a lot of opinion, supposition, conjecture, and fanciful interpretation. I'll take my chances with the vaccine - you do whatever you want.
...exactly!!...and i'll take my chances with covid...it's very simple you do what you want, i'll do what i want...makes all this bickering over it a waste of energy...

Old 04-17-2021, 11:31 AM

5,830 posts, read 3,604,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
None of those address the question as to why they are against this specific vaccine but apply to all vaccines thus they are suffering from the same problem of generalization as a reason why to take this vaccine or not.

One needs to address issues of private rights vs the common good going back to the days of the black plague in order to take a historical perspective on all the issues confronting a pandemic. The more that was found from a science perspective the greater the governmental directed efforts were to confront and combat such a pandemic and the more individual rights took a back seat. All mitigating efforts eventually trampled on individual rights with the premise that your rights do not TRUMP my individual rights when it comes to uncontrolled dispersion of infectious agents in the public realm.

Vaccines became the perfect middle ground that balanced your rights to those of others in going about the public realm. It was thus granted governmental favoritism with added rights and privileges that benefited governments and society. They lowered the burden on government and on society from mortality and morbidity.
You're simply wrong about the bolded part. They DO address the question/reason why they're against the current vaccines. Just because a reason applies to more than one instance, doesn't mean it can't apply to a specific one of the many instances.

For example, if it is proven that fatalities can occur in car wrecks, it is not wrong to say that fatalities can occur while driving Ford cars. The logic is obvious.

And your comparison of the current Covid-19 "pandemic" to past pandemics to justify infringing on individual rights is humorous at best. Covid-19 barely makes the top 10 in worst pandemics of all times if we consider only total numbers killed. If we consider total numbers killed as a percentage of the population at the time, it doesn't even come close to making the top 10.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/his...ics-deadliest/

In fact, Covid-19 hasn't even surpassed the number of deaths each year from Heart Disease and Cancer in the US... and these diseases keep on killing people year after year after year. So maybe we should make a law limiting how many cheeseburgers a person can eat or how much they're allowed to weigh.

Last edited by Chas863; 04-17-2021 at 11:43 AM..

Old 04-17-2021, 11:50 AM

23,077 posts, read 18,456,708 times
There's a need to "stimulate" more discussion? Recalling all the other existing threads about Covid-19 vaccines and all the rehashed ground, obviously some can never get enough. But, hey, knock yourself out! Personally, I've got other things to move along to.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-17-2021 at 12:11 PM..

Old 04-17-2021, 11:57 AM

1,147 posts, read 851,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
You're simply wrong about the bolded part. They DO address the question/reason why they're against the current vaccines. Just because a reason applies to more than one instance, doesn't mean it can't apply to a specific one of the many instances.

For example, if it is proven that fatalities can occur in car wrecks, it is not wrong to say that fatalities can occur while driving Ford cars. The logic is obvious.

And your comparison of the current Covid-19 "pandemic" to past pandemics to justify infringing on individual rights is humorous at best. Covid-19 barely makes the top 10 in worst pandemics of all times if we consider total numbers killed. If we consider total numbers killed as a percentage of the population at the time, it doesn't even come close to making the top 10.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/his...ics-deadliest/

In fact, Covid-19 hasn't even surpassed the number of deaths each year from Heart Disease and Cancer in the US... and these diseases keep on killing people year after year after year. So maybe we should make a law limiting how many cheeseburgers a person can eat or how much they're allowed to weigh.
It's a question I hear every day and that is when are we going to find a cure for cancer? Then one has to explain to them that there are many types of cancer and each is being addressed individually and so even though one type of cancer might still be deadly there are others that are much more treatable if not "curable".

There is no COVID vaccine but vaccines. They are completely independent of each other. Go back and read that list of 18 or 20 or 30 and you won't find one specific vaccine for COVID mentioned by name. They are all gross generalizations and some are funny as hell. Gross generalizations is something typical for anti-vaccine quacks because they don't have the specific science on their side and that being "specific facts". They smear all vaccines and it doesn't matter to them what tomato they throw at the wall sticks just as long as something sticks so yeah you can add the vaccine isn't vegan or organic and it weight make you gain weight.

Old 04-17-2021, 12:10 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,961,770 times
It's like polio, know how you're always worried you're going to get polio, or someone you love will get polio? It's frightening, isn't it? Oh wait, it isn't frightening, because the polio vaccine wiped it out, and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

I've had both doses of Pfizer and guess what? No problems, and guess what, when I signed the form to get it, I was told about its FDA approval status, and guess what? I did it anyway because we're in a goddamn PANDEMIC and I don't want to get it or spread it to anybody else.

Personal responsibility is apparently a thing of the past for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.