Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2021, 11:40 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I was going to read all of this, but when he said systemic racism was dead about 4 paragraphs in . At that point, I knew there was no reason for me to keep going.
You probably should have read the rest so you'd have a clear understanding of what he defines as "systemic racism". By his definition, he is absolutely correct, there is no systemic racism in this country. Systemic racism is what we had before the Civil Rights Act whereby it impacted every aspect of life for POC i.e. dictating where they could sit, eat, be educated, worship, etc. POC have not been in those chains for over 50 years. Now, I'm not saying there is no racism and neither did he but it is not systemic.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:47 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not playing "anti white" games here.

I'm playing stare the truth in the face games.

Yes, whites enforced segregation. THEN, they enforced integration, often over the wishes of those being forcefully integrated, both black children and white children, in our public schools.

I'm a very devout patriot of the United States, and believe it to be the greatest country on the face of the earth. But I've come to that strong belief, all the while being able to acknowledge scabs and warts that are a part of our true history as a nation.
Unfortunately the environment we are in is not going to allow nuances when speaking about America’s past. It’s always good to know the past. What you’re doing though is justifying their proposition that America is systemically racist and irredeemable and the only course of action is to dismantle it. I get what your point is but just like they use not being “anti-racist” is racist, helping them with their arguments isn’t going to achieve the goal you might think it would.

Quote:
The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it. Even today, there is little value in opposing the threat of a closed society by imitating its arbitrary restrictions. Even today, there is little value in insuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it. And there is very grave danger that an announced need for increased security will be seized upon by those anxious to expand its meaning to the very limits of official censorship and concealment. That I do not intend to permit to the extent that it is in my control. And no official of my Administration, whether his rank is high or low, civilian or military, should interpret my words here tonight as an excuse to censor the news, to stifle dissent, to cover up our mistakes or to withhold from the press and the public the facts they deserve to know.

But I do ask every publisher, every editor, and every newsman in the nation to reexamine his own standards, and to recognize the nature of our country's peril. In time of war, the government and the press have customarily joined in an effort based largely on self-discipline, to prevent unauthorized disclosures to the enemy. In time of "clear and present danger," the courts have held that even the privileged rights of the First Amendment must yield to the public's need for national security.

Today no war has been declared--and however fierce the struggle may be, it may never be declared in the traditional fashion. Our way of life is under attack. Those who make themselves our enemy are advancing around the globe. The survival of our friends is in danger. And yet no war has been declared, no borders have been crossed by marching troops, no missiles have been fired.
https://www.jfklibrary.org/archives/...ation-19610427

Old 04-19-2021, 11:52 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

So he is angry because his daughter had to learn about the civil rights movement in depth instead of a passer by chapter ?????
Bud, by any objective standard, one chapter on the civil rights movement is plenty. There's a lot to U.S. history: the early colonial years, the revolution, the creation of the country, the country almost being torn apart in a civil war, the industrial revolution, the roaring twenties, the depression, world war 2, the country becoming a world superpower, other issues in the 60s like cultural change and the Vietnam War, and recent events like 9-11 and the wars afterward. It's not all just about black people, race, and the civil rights movement.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:54 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
Well, I'm not liberal either, so again, you have a bone to pick with someone else.

Just an avid, voracious reader of nonfiction history.
What are some of your favorite history books?

Old 04-19-2021, 12:07 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
CRT is pretty cancerous stuff, specially for young people. Older people that have been around the block can see the garbage that it is. Young impressionable people told by people in positions of authority this stuff is really damaging in my opinion.

I don't have much of a problem if people go through some kind of "sensitivity" type training, but this stuff is way past that, it's really awful and has no good outcome really, just division and separation of people with no real positive message.

Again, CRT is a really cancerous ideology.

I agree with you. It is extreme. It’s divisive and solves nothing at all.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:09 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Who's saying whites are 100% to blame?

You've got a bone to pick with someone else, I guess.

I'm just seeing facts as facts, from being a careful student of history.

In the history of the US, yes, whites have perpetrated a LOT of injustices on others, and have had many fewer injustices perpetrated on us by other groups. So, not 100% to 0% ratio of fault. The majority.

And them's the facts.
Critical race theory promotes the idea that white supremacy is the root of all problems black people face and that all white people are white supremacists.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:18 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Should high school victims of bullies let it all slide at the 20th year reunion?

National alliances have nothing to do with the passion of personal relationships, and personal insults and assaults.

Those who drank from a rusty fountain shouldn't be required to completely forgive and forget those who drank from the clean one. . And those who maintained the system.

Actually, we are not to forget, but we are called to forgive. Forgiveness is for the well-being of the wronged; forgiveness sets you free from the past. Carrying around hurt and anger over the past just eats you alive and never fully allows you to enjoy the present.

The “rusty fountain” is ever further in the past, and those who perpetrated it are ever fewer, but the hate and hurt have been allowed to fester, and now here we are.

BTW, national allegiances have plenty to do with the passion of personal relationships. Have you read “Unbroken” by Laura Hillinbrand?

Old 04-19-2021, 12:20 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Good. The whole thing is getting ridiculous. Not everyone's lives need to be bombarded with stories of white privelidge and racism every day. Let people just live their lives they want to live.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:34 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Should high school victims of bullies let it all slide at the 20th year reunion?

National alliances have nothing to do with the passion of personal relationships, and personal insults and assaults.

Those who drank from a rusty fountain shouldn't be required to completely forgive and forget those who drank from the clean one. And those who maintained the system.
Except the ones who drank from the clean one, and are still alive today, were children at the time. You can't blame THEM for what their elders decided.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:50 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Irony. His kid does have HUGE privilege.

Mydaddyisabillionaire privilege.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies