Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 08:01 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,523,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
examples of systemic racism?
Official policies that treat people differently based on the color of one's skin. Affirmative Action is probably a perfect example.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:04 AM

477 posts, read 336,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Systemic racism is dead. You will never completely get rid of individual racism. That’s just human nature. Some people are crazy. Some people are just a-holes. But one thing I know is that we got close to getting rid of it for a while, but there is a subset of people who make too much money on keeping racism and victim hood alive.
Agree.
Even among people of the same race, even among a small community there are prejudices and stereotypes.
Someone we like, and someone we do not like, even for no apparent reason.
This is human nature and nothing can be done about it.

In my opinion, the media fanning this fire only make it worse.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:07 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Schools, in these new 'Woke' days, teach our children what to think instead of how to think.
Actually, in my blue-collar, low income working class schools in the 60's, we were taught what to think (not how to think), and when I learned much later that many schools in more affluent areas did not have the same goal, I could only conclude that they were teaching poorer students to blindly do what they were told by their bosses and the government without question.

That was very upsetting to me later on when I discovered not only that, but that my IQ was in the top 3% overall, and in the top 1% in the areas relating to math. (I am a white female, btw, but the high school I attended had a good mix of black, Latino, and white kids, but less than a half-dozen Asian kids.) There were no Advanced Placement or GT classes in any of my schools back then, and there was virtually no individual counseling regarding future plans. Neither my parents nor anyone at my high school ever supported me in going to college, which I did on my own. (However, I only have as AA degree from a community college.) I did not discover my high scores until I was in my 50's and an employer actually required my high school transcript. (!!)

Although I am very pleased and happy with my life now, I can't help but wonder what my life might have been if my parents or high school teachers had taken any interest in my future. (As I have always had a low self-esteem, I certainly never thought I was worthy of pushing myself forward; and so I have just glided through life, taking the easiest route., for which I blame myself as I know that is a personal flaw.)

I guess that is why I have such strong views about absolutely equal education (coursework, student to teacher ratio, expenditure per child and standards for passing from one grade to the next) for everyone, from the poorest to the wealthiest, through the sixth grade, and then sorting the kids in later grades according to each child's abilities, as shown through various kinds of testing.

Last edited by katharsis; 04-18-2021 at 08:38 AM..

Old 04-18-2021, 08:10 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAman View Post
Agree.
Even among people of the same race, even among a small community there are prejudices and stereotypes.
Someone we like, and someone we do not like, even for no apparent reason.
This is human nature and nothing can be done about it.

In my opinion, the media fanning this fire only make it worse.
The media is just reflexive of what is coming out of academia and has been for the past 30 years at least. The Internet just made it worse. People in the most expensive colleges on earth that produce the people who most benefit from capitalism are coming out of university thinking capitalism is wrong. The system that has brought more people out of poverty and starvation than anything else in human history.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:24 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
This father wrote a brilliant letter that everyone must read. I hope all the teachers get fired. The families are rich enough to start their own school.

Gutmann, who runs his family's chemical business, told the New York Post on Saturday that he penned the 1,700-word letter he mailed to 650 different families because 'someone had to speak out.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art..._feed#comments
The text that struck me the most in the latter was: “that the school has begun to teach what to think, rather than how to think’ “....and this was one of the things that was bothering this dad the most.

My K-12 education was in a top 1% in the state public school district, and I have two degrees from a ‘Public Ivy’, but my father attended Jesuit schools from first grade through graduation from college.

While growing up, I remember a phrase that he repeated often.........”The Jesuits teach you how to think”.

And yes, I realize that Brearley is not a Jesuit school, I was just struck by the similarity re what my father used to say.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
This father wrote a brilliant letter that everyone must read. I hope all the teachers get fired. The families are rich enough to start their own school.

Gutmann, who runs his family's chemical business, told the New York Post on Saturday that he penned the 1,700-word letter he mailed to 650 different families because 'someone had to speak out.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art..._feed#comments
The baby Ivy League schools have an acceptance rate of 10%+/-

Old 04-18-2021, 08:38 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The media is just reflexive of what is coming out of academia and has been for the past 30 years at least. The Internet just made it worse. People in the most expensive colleges on earth that produce the people who most benefit from capitalism are coming out of university thinking capitalism is wrong. The system that has brought more people out of poverty and starvation than anything else in human history.
Years ago, Bono (who is certainly not a conservative) was giving an acceptance speech for some award he was being given.

He essentially said the bolded, and he hesitated in the middle of the sentence....almost as if he couldn’t believe he was saying it/didn’t want to say it/didn’t want to admit it....yet he finished the sentence....probably because he knows it’s true.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:45 AM

1,937 posts, read 823,949 times
Quote:
It will be interesting to see how many rich Marxists keep their daughters in that school.
Canada's Jagmeet Singh is one of these Marxists. So was Fidel Castro.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:47 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Please explain how this country was founded on white supremacy and be specific.
I'll give that one a shot.

Slaves were legal when the United States adopted our constitution and formed our nation, and the first president of the United States had a large number of slaves, who created a lifestyle and plantation for him that he could not have enjoyed had he not had access to their free labor.

Old 04-18-2021, 08:57 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'll give that one a shot.

Slaves were legal when the United States adopted our constitution and formed our nation, and the first president of the United States had a large number of slaves, who created a lifestyle and plantation for him that he could not have enjoyed had he not had access to their free labor.
And white europeans culturally appropriated that practice that had been in place for thousands of years before America was founded.

Hey! I kind of like this storytelling thing. You can get out a broad general narrative without providing any hard evidence or having to take in to account that the universe does not operate in a vacuum. Thanks! I'm feeling more justified socioempathetically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies