Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 10:29 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times

Advertisements

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news...ointments-poll

Another archaic law that made sense in 1800 but doesn’t fit America in the 21 century. It seems that more and more laws from the past don’t work for modern society and need reevaluation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 10:33 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
So according to that link only 38% want to expand the size of the court but 63% favor term or age limits of some kind.

Based on that data, if I were Biden I'd give up any effort trying to add seats and focus an effort on some kind of reform around term limits.

Old 04-18-2021, 10:33 AM

14,229 posts, read 4,593,980 times
Yeah, but most America has no problem voting for an almost 80 year old dinosaur with 50 years in the Capitol

Old 04-18-2021, 11:01 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news...ointments-poll

Another archaic law that made sense in 1800 but doesn’t fit America in the 21 century. It seems that more and more laws from the past don’t work for modern society and need reevaluation.
Well, the "archaic law" is actually the U.S. Constitution, and I can't see this polarized country being able to get behind any kind of constitutional amendment given the approval requirements.

I have mixed views on lifetime appointments as a policy. I understand the reason for it, namely to try to insulate the justices (and judges, as it also applies to lower federal courts) from political pressure that may be stronger if they have to worry about their jobs. Not that there isn;t pressure anyway, but the idea is that they shouldn't have to worry that their jobs depend on whethrer their decisions are viewed as the right outcome by the administration. I'd rather we find a way to try to strip some of the politics out of the appointment process. Not sure how to do it, but it seems like qualifications as a jurist have taken a back seat to percieved political views of the nominees.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:04 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,009,247 times
While the Constitution must be amended, something unlikely to happen, one Constitutional scholar pointed out that a law may be passed limiting time spent on the Supreme Court to a term of years, say 20 years, at which point the Justice would then be transferred to a lower federal court. The Justice can, of course, resign, if he or she does not desire such a demotion.

I haven't decided if this is a valid solution, but it would bear investigation. Said scholar also said that it probably could not apply to current seated Justices, but could to future ones.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:11 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
My personal opinion is that Supreme Court justices should hold their seats until they retire at age 75, or voluntarily step down before then, or when they are completely incapacitated to the point that they are incapable of communicating in an intelligent and rational manner. I also would include that they would be dismissed if they are caught taking bribes or commit any felonies, but I am not aware that this has ever been a concern in the past.

P.S. I hesitated before writing "age 75", as I generally think 65 is the optimum time for politicians or political appointees to retire, but as federal judges are supposedly beyond benefitting from their positions by granting favors, I think that they should keep their positions as long as they are mentally sharp and want to keep them.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:32 AM

27,143 posts, read 15,318,187 times
It'x about nothing except Democrat power grabbing.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:34 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Well, the "archaic law" is actually the U.S. Constitution, and I can't see this polarized country being able to get behind any kind of constitutional amendment given the approval requirements.

I have mixed views on lifetime appointments as a policy. I understand the reason for it, namely to try to insulate the justices (and judges, as it also applies to lower federal courts) from political pressure that may be stronger if they have to worry about their jobs. Not that there isn;t pressure anyway, but the idea is that they shouldn't have to worry that their jobs depend on whethrer their decisions are viewed as the right outcome by the administration. I'd rather we find a way to try to strip some of the politics out of the appointment process. Not sure how to do it, but it seems like qualifications as a jurist have taken a back seat to percieved political views of the nominees.
What was the average life expectancy when the constitution was written, lol?

Old 04-18-2021, 11:34 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
I would be OK with "lifetime" appointments if they came with a mandatory retirement age.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:44 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,558,130 times
Then most Americans are stupid.... which is why it's a good thing the Constitution is so difficult to amend.

The Constitution is there to protect the people not only from the authoritarians they are stupid enough to elect, but from themselves in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies