Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2021, 11:03 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokesOnYouImStillAlive View Post
McDonald's is the food you get when you are in a big hurry or everything else is closed.

Chick File is food you're willing to wait in long lines for because it just slaps that much.
Long lines are everywhere, and your strawman argument has zero to do with so many businesses trying to fill job openings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
My wife experienced that behavior at retail shops well before ObamaCare. Worked at Old Navy. Quit after that exact scenario.
And many folks begged for it, until it didn’t work out well for them.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Chick File always had long lines compared to other places. But Im sure they treat their employees better than McDerp's.
Same with In N Out.
You’re assuming because you don’t like McDonalds, and your strawman argument still has nothing to do with businesses needing to fill positions.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:14 AM

2,531 posts, read 1,863,511 times
Of course most people don't want to work at McDonalds. It's a retail job.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Of course most people don't want to work at McDonalds. It's a retail job.
It’s a job. That’s unpopular with folks, especially those collecting taxpayer money for doing nothing.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:38 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
"Take yer damn job flipping burgers and be grateful for it!"

Those jobs people take because they literally have no other choice to survive. I don't really care about Mickey D's bottom line or stock price. Trash place.

do you know how many full-time minimum wage workers there are in the US?

Did you not ever work part-time in high school or college in a minimum/low-wage job?

Old 04-20-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
No, it's a garbage job where you don't get paid enough to deal with garbage customers that wanna call the cops because their burger was made wrong. And you're told you have to always smile no matter what.

My last fast-food job 10 years back. Got tired of the manager always looking at me to make sure I'm smiling, making sure I'm reading from a script instead of greeting customers like a human being, and having to do all that while dealing with a maniacal Karen that says she will sue the establishment because we didn't bring out her mayo fast enough.

The only job I quit by simply never coming back.
Sounds like you have experience with that. Work harder to make yourself more valuable and you won’t have to take a job you don’t like.

If you’re so worried that you think someone is actually going to the cops for a burger being made wrong or mayonnaise not being brought out fast enough, you should never play poker unless you’re ok with losing. Cops would never come out for such a ridiculously hilarious call.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:45 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Are we so short of teens today or do they or their parents just not want them to work. Began my McDonald's career in HS at age 16 worked there until 19. When i realized it was time to move on or i would be stuck there. During that time i saved thousands of dollars to buy my first car, had actual spending money which inspired all my friends to get jobs there as well. At one point more then half the employees were people from my HS who had followed me there. A lot of us saved money for our first cars, learned skills like a work ethic and moved onto college or better blue collar jobs. This all took place in the mid 1980's. What happened to all the kids and how did it change from a first job to learn life skills to a job worked for life?
It depends on the demographic. For students who carry a full load of AP classes and also take part in numerous school activities, they or their parents may want them to focus on earning scholarships that are much more valuable than a paycheck would earn. This is especially true for students from upper and middle-class families where the parents are able to meet and exceed the means needed to provide for the household. Kids who have to work have to lose sleep in order to study or suffer the consequences for not doing so. Participating in sports, band, choir, JROTC, drill team, drama club, etc. can be very difficult when managers are unable or unwilling to work with the students' schedules. That can impact their ability to earn scholarships that will make the difference for many in their decision to attend college or not.

At the moment, many of my students, all of whom come from low-income families, are working fast food and other jobs during school hours or late at night to make up for the income lost when their parents' jobs were cut due to the pandemic. Employers will put them on the schedule during the day and late in the evening (closing at 1-2 am), even knowing that this is a violation of the child labor laws. Needs must, so the kids do what they've got to do to help out the family. Their studies suffer, and too many of the seniors are planning to continue working rather than going to college. I know from experience that when disadvantaged kids leave the academic path, many of them will never go back because life happens with all its unexpected obstacles and setbacks.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:53 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Except Chick-fil-a offers the same wages as Mickey D’s, and they, amongst many businesses are having a hard time filling positions.

What food one likes better has zero to do with needing workers.

That's a very general statement

Micky D's are mostly franchises and they don't all pay the same.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:57 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelized Onion View Post
I have worked more than 40 hours per week, but not 80. Mostly when I was young and it was early in my career; I have no need to work more than one job now. So I'm not against that. But I am against telling someone, "you should work TWO crappy jobs making $7/hour because I don't like having to wait for my McDonald's order and SOMEONE has to work there."

And while these people are working 80 hours per week at these dead-end jobs, how are they going to go to school or learn skills to get a better job? Let's say you work from 7 am to 3 pm, then 4 pm to midnight, five days per week. On your days off, you need to go grocery shopping, catch up on some sleep, pay bills, go to the bank/post office/home improvement store, you know, all the normal adult errands that we all have to do. Maybe you'd allow these folks to maybe see their families or go on a date. Where does learning a trade or the skills for a better career even fit into this schedule?
I don't know that anyone has said that.

I would certainly say "If you haven't developed skills beyond a minimum wage job, then you should work as many hours as it takes to support the lifestyle you need to survive."

I've already shown that an individual, earning MW, is well above the poverty line.

Maybe we have to help them - not with a higher wage or handouts - but guidance. Maybe the "younger generations" need to understand they don't have to live alone, they don't have to get a loan for a "new" car, etc etc. And we ALL need to know a job is NOT just a way to earn money.
I'm deep into the "teach high schoolers life skills not calculus" angle.

See, I've walked a mile in those shoes. When I was in HS, if I wanted spending money ... I needed a job. And I learned a lot working at Chick-fil-A in 1982. I learned that if I wanted to be working the register and not the chicken fryer, I better be really freakin good at the register, because those were still sexist days when the girls weren't breading the chicken nor frying it. And how does one get good at the register? Smile, eye contact, clear pleasant voice, learn to repeat what you've heard, know when and not to upsell, and THANK THEM for the order.

What I learned are interpersonal skills. Especially with non-teenagers (customers and my managers). Communication skills. The kind of skills almost EVERYONE needs to thrive in the world. Sorry, if you're a shy introvert or awkward anti-social person - YOU are limiting yourself, the world ain't out to get you.

And then, I branched out into restaurant business, thinking I'd earn tips and make even more. Except I had to start as the dishwasher before becoming a busboy. I scraped nasty ass dishes, emptied glasses, etc for 2 straight weeks, worked the big Hobart and clouds of steam and hot dishes - but I excelled at the job and moved "up" to busboy quickly. And the dishwashers that complained, and did the amount of work they thought they were getting paid right then? Well, they were dishwashers before I got there and after I left. And I bussed tables all summer - though I had an appreciation for that dishwasher's job and gave them neatly-stacked, cleaner plates than I had seen for 2 weeks. And I even went above and beyond and went by my tables, filling water glasses, asking if they needed anything, etc etc .... even though a lot of that wasn't in my job description. Why? Because then the servers got bigger tips, and the servers tipped me ... which also wasn't that much in practice in 1984. Oh, and my hourly was $8/hr, not the $3.25 of the day.

If someone has the mindset "If I'm only getting paid the minimum wage, so you'll get the minimum effort I'm required to give", then they will always be in that job as opposed to the more common sense "How can I stand out in a good way? How can I do this job better? What can I learn? How can I make you more money, so you'll be motivated to pay me more money?"

And maybe THAT is the guidance kids need today in HS too, other than the egalitarian and SJW crap they're being fed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies