Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 04:54 PM

23,970 posts, read 15,069,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I lost all respect for Texas voters when they did NOT elect Kinky Friedman as Governor.

He only got 12% of the vote!!!! Really, folks this is why the country is in trouble. We keep electing the wrong people!!

If you don't know who Kinky is.....a true gentleman, an original thinker, not beholden to false ideologies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinky_Friedman

We need to reform civil service and cut down on the number of political appointees. Ventura failed in Minnesota simply because both the Republicans and Democrats opposed him.

It is hard to put together a government as a independent. Look at Trump's problems with his appointees.

A professional civil service class, yeah, none of those FBI guys, can easily make independents successful as politicians. Until that happens...good luck.
We went to a couple of Kinky's events. As good as he is as a performer, he was an awful candidate. The events were neither well publicized nor well attended. I had the impression his best friend was more involved in that race than Kinky was.

The people I knew and were surprised to see there were hard core right wingers.

I'm always surprised when people are not familiar with him. My grandkids love him. But they hear him around here.

He didn't do that well when he ran for sheriff.

Old 04-19-2021, 05:09 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,040,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We went to a couple of Kinky's events. As good as he is as a performer, he was an awful candidate. The events were neither well publicized nor well attended. I had the impression his best friend was more involved in that race than Kinky was.

The people I knew and were surprised to see there were hard core right wingers.

I'm always surprised when people are not familiar with him. My grandkids love him. But they hear him around here.

He didn't do that well when he ran for sheriff.

That is the problem....very rarely do good candidates make good elected officials.

That is the fault of the VOTERS, not the candidates.

Old 04-19-2021, 05:17 PM

37,960 posts, read 22,139,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I know nothing about his politics, but has he ever managed anything? Seems like a big jump to go from Hollywood movie star to the governor of a big state.
He made his money acting, he never ran a business or made payroll to hire and pat employees, as far as I know. He is rich and famous, and everyone hangs on his every word, being surrounded by yes men and sycophants. I'm pretty sure he has a very outsized opinion of himself and his capabilities, and he is overly confident, so he will strike a nice pose for the cameras, and look confident in his campaign commercials. Has he every been accountable for his decisions and the positive and negative impact they have on the lives of other people? I doubt it.

Old 04-19-2021, 05:20 PM

18,722 posts, read 7,601,368 times
Why shouldn't he run for Governor? He has almost as much experience being a Chief Executive as Trump did.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:03 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,818 times
No one even knows what his beliefs are. Someone like him polls high because he's fresh and different, especially since he's not a politician. It also helps that he's attractive.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:50 PM

4,897 posts, read 2,053,813 times
I believe him to be a moderate, but I need to hear more on where he actually stands on issues that may or may not pizz off either the Left or the Right.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:21 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Ronald Reagan and Arnold Schwarzenegger did it and both were successful enough that they won reelection.
But Arnold was hated close to the end of his term and was not liked when he left office.

Just like in the movie 2012

"He's just reading a script"

Old 04-20-2021, 12:27 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Regardless if you agree with Abbott’s politics, a lot of people in Texas do not. Many people are upset with what they see is his premature removal of the state-wide mask mandate and his refusal to allow city/county governments to use their own judgement about instituting them locally
Maybe they should go back to whatever blue state or county they came from and be happier there.

It's pathetic the feds have to force you to wear a mask and force people to social distance. People should be left alone and choose for themselves.

Old 04-20-2021, 02:30 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Texas likes extreme. Look at what we have now.

Jim Hightower told us there is nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos.

Texans picked sides a hundred years ago. We are conservative or liberal.

And the democrats who run the state party are dumb. When current Lt Gov was a talk show host and owner of a radio station in Houston and Dallas, decided to run for the Texas senate, his BFF filed to run for the same office as a democrat. The state Democratic party never caught on even after the Democratic candidate said he was not opposed to Patrick continuing his radio broadcast while running for the senate. And one cannot be too right wing for the conservatives.
Doesn’t Patrick still own KSEV (AM 700) ?

Old 04-20-2021, 09:07 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,297,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
He made his money acting, he never ran a business or made payroll to hire and pat employees, as far as I know. He is rich and famous, and everyone hangs on his every word, being surrounded by yes men and sycophants. I'm pretty sure he has a very outsized opinion of himself and his capabilities, and he is overly confident, so he will strike a nice pose for the cameras, and look confident in his campaign commercials. Has he every been accountable for his decisions and the positive and negative impact they have on the lives of other people? I doubt it.
Is any of this based on facts, or just your opinion.

I know for a fact that "everyone hangs on his every word" is not true. I don't know what he has to say about anything, and I am someone, so that comment is not true.

Do you know he's never managed or run a business?
Do you know what his opinion of himself is? Do you know he's NOT humble?
Do you know he's surrounded by yes-people?
Do you even know what his capabilities are, beyond acting, that you seem to have an opiniuon on?
Do you know if he's ever been held accountable, and how he responded?

To me, it sounds like you are creating stereotypes about a group of people that you fear, because you don't understand, and you're putting him into that box. If you have FACTS to support your opinions, present them and I'll listen. Otherwise, you're just doing what people do when they are afraid and uninformed. This is how racism starts, it's how nationalism starts. You are applying it to movie-stars, but the basis is the same. And of course people that are racists, nationalists (or anti-movie-star) never recognize their fear and ingorance.

Let's hear your facts. I don't get to vote in Texas, but I'm still interested. And BTW, I've seen one or two of his movies, that's about all I know of him. And that is based on him playing fictional characters. I surely that is not your basis for all the comments above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies