Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 02:18 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Wow.

So we have enough for charity but not enough for an ID

Clearly you didn’t get the point of the post.
clearly you didn't read your own "source". And you're strawmanning. I'm going to stop right here. Have a nice day. lol

Old 04-19-2021, 02:23 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Wait, wait, lemme guess... they paid for everything with FOOD STAMPS and then drove off in a BRAND NEW MERCEDES!
Well one needs a decent Gucci handbag, gotta have somewhere to stash all that shrimp and lobster bought with the EBT card.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:25 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Well one needs a decent Gucci handbag, gotta have somewhere to stash all that shrimp and lobster bought with the EBT card.
It's really odd how you leftists keep bringing up welfare and EBT cards. It's the exact opposite of the point I was making - that most blacks are NOT on welfare, and many are in fact quite affluent. Yet for some reason, you feel it appropriate to make digs about blacks and EBT cards/food stamps. You're perpetuating the myth that blacks are poor and dependent on government; I'm showing that to be a false narrative.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:28 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It's really odd how you leftists keep bringing up welfare and EBT cards. It's the exact opposite of the point I was making - that most blacks are NOT on welfare, and many are in fact quite affluent. Yet for some reason, you feel it appropriate to make digs about blacks and EBT cards/food stamps. You're perpetuating the myth that blacks are poor and dependent on government; I'm showing that to be a false narrative.
Oh are you? I hadn’t noticed.

Hey maybe all the black people lining up for high end goods are business owners reaping the spoils of being featured on the front page of Google.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:32 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrombopulosMichael View Post
See, no one ever said all blacks are poor and dependant on the government.

Rachel is using this anecdote to make a judgement on all blacks.
Saying that some blacks are affluent, most are middle class, and only a subset is poor is someone making a judgment on all blacks?? Oye.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:33 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
1) Without the false narrative being peddled by the radical leftists about how oppressed blacks are and how evil and "born racist" whites are, I never would have noticed. (I certainly wouldn't have counted!)

2) Obviously, there are plenty of blacks who can afford Gucci. (I myself would never pay $1000 or whatever they charge for a purse.)

3) Even if the percentage of affluent blacks who can afford Gucci is small (as is the percentage of whites), most blacks are middle class and could certainly buy one at MACY's or JCPenney.

4) There is a subset of blacks (subset!) who are impoverished high school dropouts hanging out on the corner doing drugs by day and engaging in gang warfare and other crime by night.

Conclusion: Blacks should not be presented as helpless, oppressed victims around whom the entire focus of political policy is centered. It's a lie, pushed by Democrats to obtain and maintain power.
Then how do you account for the constant race threads started by repubs and repubs claiming any black person who succeeds only did so because they’re black?

Old 04-19-2021, 02:34 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
As I alluded to in my previous post, I think you might be right about people that spend $1000 on a bag with a bunch of "G"s on it. They are probably surrounded by people that might be impressed by that.

But in other circles, it would be seen as tacky, and the person might be seen as someone that thinks they are impressing people. In those circles, women have bags that cost 10 or 20 times that amount, made with superior materials, and design, without all the "G"s all over it, where you or I would have no idea that the bag costs as much as it does. Typically, the women that buy bags like these are not trying to "show off' to the masses. They are just buying what is socially "normal" in their circle of friends, where the price of any bag, no matter how expensive it may seem to you, does not give bragging rights because even at those prices, it is not something that is going to break any of their banks.
It's about the status symbol for some people. It's about showing off and saying "look what I got". In some circles where WHAT you have is considered important, some people will do anything to impress. On the other hand, I think about this: People who are part of "old money" won't be in line for a Gucci bag. They understand that their money isn't just their money. It's family money, and old money types rarely waste time with such stuff. It would be seen as tacky, not to mention, a waste, to an old money crowd to stand in line for a long time to get a Gucci bag just to show off.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:34 PM

4,414 posts, read 5,145,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not sure standing in line hoping to buy outrageously overpriced goods for the status symbol of carrying them is a measure of success and inclusion. Just the opposite. People who carry status symbols that aren't worth the money are desperate to announce they are included.

If they were standing in line, say, at the title company, or featured as a top 10% med school graduate, or a school board member, that's something to note as a measure of success.

Someone who is trying to throw money away on a Gucci item isn't all that much better off, psychologically, IMHO, than people standing in line to buy lotto tickets. Both are misplaced hope.
Very accurate.

If people of any group or whatever want status symbols, it speaks to their weaknesses, not strengths.

This is a problem that can be ascribed to people with certain sentiments. Very big cultural cancer that’s being used to call out black women in a certain way here. Very cheap knock indeed.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:38 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrombopulosMichael View Post
See, no one ever said all blacks are poor and dependant on the government.

Rachel is using this anecdote to make a judgement on all blacks.
What? I don't think that's what she meant at all. Actually, it is the Left that has painted (and continues to paint) the picture that all blacks are poor and underserved. That is BS! Actually, less than 20% of blacks are below the poverty line and this has been AND continues to fall. This is the exact opposite narrative pushed by the democrats, the progressives, and the woke. It is still higher than whites, but NOTHING like the Left pushes it. Get out from your CNN bubble.

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...s-in-2019.html

Old 04-19-2021, 02:39 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I've never even been inside a Gucci store.

Maybe I should pay a visit and see what it's like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies