Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 12:12 PM

16,303 posts, read 8,126,207 times

Advertisements

I remember when the George Floyd thing happened my company sent out an email about how horrific it was. For at least a month anytime I went to any website or social media i was flooded with ads about racism. Now it feels like the same thing is happening again. My company president sent out another email about the recent police shootings. At this point these acknowledgements feel like cover your butt emails because if you dont acknowledge this people will think you don't care and are racist....People are murdered every day, he didn't acknowledge the 7 year old girl killed over the weekend or the grandmother killed last weekend by a stray bullet in our city. Why does there have to be a corporate announcement from all angles about this.

I dont think anyone 'should' die at the hands of police but I'm kind of tired of it being turned into this huge tragic event anytime it does. Again no one deserves to die by hands of police, but none of these people were innocent in this. Why don't these corporate leaders feel the need to recognize this? Like hey, we also need to wonder why a 13 year old boy was running the streets at midnight with a loaded gun...or maybe we should wonder why a 20 year old had a warrant out for his arrest and also already has a baby. Clearly their lives werent going as planned and they were headed for trouble. It seems like these issues are swept under the rug and they only thing that matters is that they were killed police.

Last edited by msRB311; 04-19-2021 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 12:37 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,099,936 times
Yes, dealing with crime results in violence. Politicians need to quit blaming the people taking bullets for us and do something about the root cause.

Crazy when you have surgery, blood gets spilled. Personally I had a few complications with mine that Ive had to deal with for years. Not to sound crazy, but it wasnt b/c the surgeon was racist, just consequences of cutting someone open.

The the news networks are just extended arms of the political parties now. They arent here to inform us anymore, they are activist trying to persuade you. Unfortunately your employer has fallen for it.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:44 PM

16,303 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I mean I do feel empathy for the people who died...but what they heck were they thinking i the first place. There is no easy solution. I think Derek Chauvin should have gotten up off of George Floyds neck, I think it was a really bad error to mistake a taser for a gun and set it off...i'm also not sure why Eric stillman felt the need to shoot the Toledo kid. All tragic...but I dont need to hear about it every time I log onto social media or get work emails about how terrible policing is in the US but nothing mentioned about people who don't care about the law.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:51 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
It deters from the criminals being criminals. Easier to blame the police that way.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:56 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
Yes, dealing with crime results in violence. Politicians need to quit blaming the people taking bullets for us and do something about the root cause.

Crazy when you have surgery, blood gets spilled. Personally I had a few complications with mine that Ive had to deal with for years. Not to sound crazy, but it wasnt b/c the surgeon was racist, just consequences of cutting someone open.

The the news networks are just extended arms of the political parties now. They arent here to inform us anymore, they are activist trying to persuade you. Unfortunately your employer has fallen for it.

And it should be noted when it results in more crime committed by 'public servants'.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:59 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I remember when the George Floyd thing happened my company sent out an email about how horrific it was. For at least a month anytime I went to any website or social media i was flooded with ads about racism. Now it feels like the same thing is happening again. My company president sent out another email about the recent police shootings. At this point these acknowledgements feel like cover your butt emails because if you dont acknowledge this people will think you don't care and are racist....People are murdered every day, he didn't acknowledge the 7 year old girl killed over the weekend or the grandmother killed last weekend by a stray bullet in our city. Why does there have to be a corporate announcement from all angles about this.

I dont think anyone 'should' die at the hands of police but I'm kind of tired of it being turned into this huge tragic event anytime it does. Again no one deserves to die by hands of police, but none of these people were innocent in this. Why don't these corporate leaders feel the need to recognize this? Like hey, we also need to wonder why a 13 year old boy was running the streets at midnight with a loaded gun...or maybe we should wonder why a 20 year old had a warrant out for his arrest and also already has a baby. Clearly there lives werent going as planned and they were headed for trouble. It seems like these issues are swept under the rug and they only thing that matters is that they were killed police.
It's impossible for there to be zero people killed by police. Their job is to try to stop all manner of criminals, and this includes the most violent of criminals. Some of those people are going to take a shot at the cops. If you are shooting at the cops, you've forfeit your life because they have no choice but to start shooting back.

It's fair to say that we need better trained police forces. #DefundThePolice will give you the exact opposite of that. What we truly need as an end to political activism being baked into News Media Coverage and culture. Several white guys died the same way George Floyd did. Nobody cares. Therein lies the problem: Some lives matter more than others and right now, black lives matter a helluva lot more than others, but only if it's the police or a white person that killed them.

What we need is for all lives to matter equally in all circumstances, and no more games trying to score political points on the backs of news stories that fit your biases.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:11 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
By what authority do the police feel they can impose the death penalty at any encounter with a suspect? These citizens have not been charged with a crime let alone faced trial or conviction. It is not the police officer's role to punish alleged offenders. It is like there is a "clicker mentality" -- you don't like what you see then you turn it off - click. Someone is agitated - click. Someone is angry or out of control - click. Someone is mentally unstable and unpredictable - click.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:12 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
It avoids them from having to explain later on why they didn't do anything.

Just like how so many rich people (actors, athletes) give $. Most probably don't really care but they get asked about BLM and other organizations. If they decided not to pay they'd probably be targeted.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:13 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
A policeman, like a soldier, has a split-second to make a decision. Human error is inevitable. Yet the news media gives them unlimited coverage and the rioters come from all over to loot and burn, without really caring about the victim.

As the media continues giving airtime, it only fuels the flames and brings people from other states and areas with an excuse to loot. And worst yet, the WH does nothing.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:15 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

I dont think anyone 'should' die at the hands of police but I'm kind of tired of it being turned into this huge tragic event anytime it does. Again no one deserves to die by hands of police, but none of these people were innocent in this. Why don't these corporate leaders feel the need to recognize this? Like hey, we also need to wonder why a 13 year old boy was running the streets at midnight with a loaded gun...or maybe we should wonder why a 20 year old had a warrant out for his arrest and also already has a baby. Clearly their lives werent going as planned and they were headed for trouble. It seems like these issues are swept under the rug and they only thing that matters is that they were killed police.
Because they are being extorted by BLM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies