Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 11:58 AM

8,928 posts, read 2,959,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Show me peer-reviewed studies that contradict my points. I’m reasonably well-read on a variety of topics, but I’m no psychologist or psychiatrist, so I could be misstating something.

I’m willing to admit when I’m wrong. What about you?
Define "smart"

Show me where that's used in a "peer reviewed study."

This is common sense...no need for "peer reviewed studies."

HAHA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
When one's preoccupied with what someone else is doing and/or greater good, anxiety tends to happen.
Or what their ancestors did 100 years ago just because they had the same skin color.

Wild!

Old 04-20-2021, 11:59 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,311,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Since you’re having some trouble, let me break it down for you.

Garden-variety mental illnesses like anxiety and depression often have at least some situational component. If you’re smarter and more educated, you’re more likely to pay closer attention, and, therefore, more prone to things like depression and anxiety on top of any genetic predisposition.

Another thing that smarter and more educated people do is get themselves diagnosed when they exhibit symptoms of mental disorders. If you’re less intelligent and less educated, you’re less likely to seek mental healthcare treatment, and society won’t force it onto you short of being something like a violent, paranoid schizophrenic who presents a danger to themselves and others.
Yeah, that's what I said: you claim that liberals have mental illnesses because they're smarter and more educated. But maybe mentally ill people just have a tendency toward liberalism? Maybe these liberals have real mental problems that have nothing to do with how long they spent in school? Or maybe it's because many liberals tend to be hyper-emotional types?

As for your second point, I don't buy for a minute that almost half of the population has mental health problems, as is the case amongst white liberals.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:00 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,940,539 times
The results of this study don't surprise me....what does surprise me is that a study was needed to discover the obvious.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:01 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
Funny how the accusation comes from a questionable right leaning, conservative source.....once again.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Yeah, that's what I said: you claim that liberals have mental illnesses because they're smarter and more educated. But maybe mentally ill people just have a tendency toward liberalism? Maybe these liberals have real mental problems that have nothing to do with how long they spent in school? Or maybe it's because many liberals tend to be hyper-emotional types?

As for your second point, I don't buy for a minute that almost half of the population has mental health problems, as is the case amongst white liberals.
Yes. Chicken or egg?

Liberals always think they are the smartest people in the room, no doubt.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Funny how the accusation comes from a questionable right leaning, conservative source.....once again.
Surely you understand that this comes from Pew and not Newsmax, right?

Old 04-20-2021, 12:04 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,201,702 times
Quote:
You know, if you have to tell people that you're smart...it probably isn't true.
At first the people in idiocracy thought the smart guy was dumb, and made fun of the way he talked. So I dunno.

In any case, my point still stands, and you agree with it.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:11 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
This is common sense...no need for "peer reviewed studies."
And that tells me everything I need to know.

Quote:
HAHA
I couldn’t agree more.

Quote:
If you can provide any peer-reviewed studies that support those points, I would love to see them.

Quote:
Why not? There’s a very broad spectrum between people who have zero mental disorders and neuroses and those who are so far-gone that they require institutionalization.

My mental health law professor said, “Give me 15 minutes, and I bet I can honestly diagnose each and every one of you with at least one DSM-V disorder.” And before you let your imagination run wild, this was on the first day of class before he knew a single one of us.

Quote:
Yes. Chicken or egg?

Liberals always think they are the smartest people in the room, no doubt.
Not the smartest people in the room, but perhaps the smartest people in this thread.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach13. View Post
This was already posted sometime last week and the "methodology" involved is extremely shady. It neglects to study whether or not "White Liberals" are simply more likely to seek mental health intervention options or if "White liberals" are more likely to speak openly about their personal mental health struggles when compared to others.

Basically, this entire study is incomplete with a glaring third variable problem.
So basically, it's just like any other poll. None are 100% accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies