Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 01:07 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
If you can provide any peer-reviewed studies that support your points, I would love to see those. You don't provide any studies, but you do seem to have an obsession with five-paragraph essays.
I’ve seen a number of peer-reviewed studies over the years. I don’t need to convince myself, so I’m not going to scour the internet to find them again. You’re welcome to take on that project, if you’d like, and I promise that if you prove me wrong on any points, I will admit as such.

It’s not my fault you people write at a sub-undergraduate level. Improve your written communication skills, and I’ll upgrade my assessment accordingly.

Quote:
DSM-V disorders? Which apparently include ADHD, eating disorders, and something called "internet gaming disorder?" Is that what we're talking about here?
Yes, mental disorders come in many shades and degrees, and the laundry list changes over time as we learn more about how the human mind works and what qualifies as mental dysfunction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 01:12 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Indicates only that “white liberals” are most likely not to stigmatize mental issues and actually admit they are real.
46%? The article doesn't say how broadly they're defining "mental health condition," but really: 46% of people have a mental health condition?

Old 04-20-2021, 01:14 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
And I would not be at all surprised that people dealing with mental illness would be drawn to an ideology that does not stigmatize them and fights to offer better access to affordable care. That would be the intelligent choice.
I responded to this.. "It indicates only that 'white liberals' are most likely not to stigmatize mental issues and actually admit they are real."

You seemed to imply that left-wingers only seem to have higher rates of mental-illness because they are more likely to admit to having mental illness. There is no evidence that this is the case. But I do agree that people with mental-illness might be drawn to liberalism for the reason you mentioned.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:21 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I’ve seen a number of peer-reviewed studies over the years. I don’t need to convince myself, so I’m not going to scour the internet to find them again. You’re welcome to take on that project, if you’d like, and I promise that if you prove me wrong on any points, I will admit as such.

It’s not my fault you people write at a sub-undergraduate level. Improve your written communication skills, and I’ll upgrade my assessment accordingly.

Yes, mental disorders come in many shades and degrees, and the laundry list changes over time as we learn more about how the human mind works and what qualifies as mental dysfunction.
Hahahaha, okay, pal. You want other people to provide studies, but you don't have to provide any of your own. You're too busy reading five-paragraph essays, I guess.

The article doesn't say what they're considering a mental health problem, but I doubt that liberals were disproportionately diagnosed with ADHD. Kids who grew up to be liberals probably had their lunch money stolen by the kids who had ADHD.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:27 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Hahahaha, okay, pal. You want other people to provide studies, but you don't have to provide any of your own. You're too busy reading five-paragraph essays, I guess.
I don’t want people to “do” or “not do” anything. Whether taking the time to convince me is worth your while is a question only you can answer.

I graduated high school in the waning days of the GWB administration. I’m not a high school English teacher, so I haven’t seen a five-paragraph essay in years. Even the relatively weak writers in the English literature class where I served as a UTA were better than that.

Quote:
The article doesn't say what they're considering a mental health problem, but I doubt that liberals were disproportionately diagnosed with ADHD. Kids who grew up to be liberals probably had their lunch money stolen by the kids who had ADHD.
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Signed, a progressive with diagnosed ADHD who stole lunch money from no one.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 04-20-2021 at 01:36 PM..

Old 04-20-2021, 01:37 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
46%? The article doesn't say how broadly they're defining "mental health condition," but really: 46% of people have a mental health condition?
Seems low to me. Does stupidity count?

Old 04-20-2021, 06:15 PM

1,663 posts, read 876,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
With nothing to go on but what Newsmax is saying i'll stand by my statement...
Here is a link to the analysis of the Pew research.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...111439872.html

Although it wasn't in the Newsmax article, the research also showed that white liberals who have been diagnosed with a mental health condition also scored very high for neuroticism and very low for conscientiousness on the Big 5 personality test.

Definitions:

Neuroticism: "tendency toward anxiety, depression, self-doubt, and other negative feelings."
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/neuroticism

Conscientiousness: " tendency to be responsible, organized, hard-working, goal-directed, and to adhere to norms and rules."
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...scientiousness

From the linked Newsmax article:
Quote:
Dr. Lyle Rossiter, a board-certified psychiatrist who’s treated mental disorders for over 30 years, agrees and adds that white liberalism thrives on supposedly championing “workers,” “minorities,” “the little guy,” “women,” and the “unemployed,” who they continuously see as “wronged, cheated, oppressed, disenfranchised, exploited, and victimized” with little to no agency of their own (A view that often mutates into the infantilizing and patronizing of certain groups within a narrative).
Quote:
There's also the unrelenting focus on oppression, verbal violence, and micro-aggressions. We know that building resiliency against hardship is the best weapon against depression and anxiety, yet progressive ideology forces its followers to wallow in feelings of helplessness and victimhood. Instead of empowering women and minorities with self-knowledge, strength of character, and resilience to hardship, progressivism encourages victims to stay in a place of fear and helplessness.
https://www.eviemagazine.com/post/ov...alth-condition

Old 04-20-2021, 06:24 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,562,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doncicmavsfan View Post
I think being a white liberal means taking a vow that nothing is good...and it’s not good because the color of your skin. How could that not make one depressed?
And that demoralization is often compounded with Atheism.. so their situation/life feels even more hopeless & pointless.
I feel empathy for a lot of the self-hating, Godless Leftists. but.. who knows.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:29 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
LOL. Ironically I can bring up all sorts of "studies" that claim all sorts of nonsense. So lets talk about how these things break.

1. Its a RESPONSE, but not the REALITY. AKA. Everyones the same, but Republicans are less likely to be honest about a weakness. This one probably has some of that.

2. Cherry picked data. So for example-how truly random is this? I can EASILY create data showing the opposite simply by switching selection criteria.

3. outside factors. What if the majority of psychological factors are more about population pressure.....you know...so it hits Democrats more because of cities vs rural. Especially for pollution. probably a close second to example 1.

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:34 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
That doesn't surprise me. I think liberals are more in favor of being for mental health issues than republicans are. That could explain why many of them have them. They're called bleeding hearts for a reason. Many republicans believe you should just hide your mental issues and pretend they don't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies