Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2021, 05:37 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Which makes putting your knee on a dying person's neck for 9 minutes even worse than it already is.
Exactly. Glad he was convicted on all counts!

Old 04-20-2021, 05:38 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
I'm not okay with it. Just like I'm not okay with the verdicts being based on threats and intimidation...are you okay with that? Is that going to be the new normal in this country?
Luckily that's not what happened here. The jury watched that horrific nine and a half minutes and knew they had to take that thug off the street.

I hope taking bad cops off the street becomes the new normal. Are you okay with that?

Old 04-20-2021, 05:42 PM

23,563 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Luckily that's not what happened here. The jury watched that horrific nine and a half minutes and knew they had to take that thug off the street.
uh huh. anyone who thinks that is lying to themselves.

Quote:
I hope taking bad cops off the street becomes the new normal. Are you okay with that?
Yep. I'm fine and dandy with it.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:43 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
This. It's not whether Floyd was a good man or not. It's about if we're okay with the police torturing people to death.

If you're okay with that, then you're just simply opening the door for that to happen to you someday.

Good statement.

Of course, we all know that there are times that the police simply have to use deadly force, whether defending others or themselves.

I am well old enough to recall when, during the 1960s, black men were routinely killed by police for 'resisting arrest' or 'attempting to escape'.

In those days before the Civil Rights Act, and even for a while thereafter, a police officer could kill a black man almost with impunity. There were never any cameras around. The other officers, if present, would back him up in his version of events.

If by chance the police officer was charged and brought to trial, the defense would routinely 'strike' any black person in the jury pool (and they were rare anyway). Perfectly legal. All white jury.

Any black witnesses, if they even made it to the stand, would find themselves on trial, if they had any legal problems of their own (and, by God, if they were a witness, by the time of trial you bet they did have legal problems; the cops knew where they lived).

It was the Rodney King videotape that opened a lot of white eyes to what the black community had been saying for years: we are being beaten, even to death, by the police.

As camcorders came into more usage, more such events unfolded. Now, with the modern cell phone, virtually every incident is captured by onlookers. Of course, many police departments require officers to wear body cams, which often seem to malfunction during an arrest.

As for Maxine Waters and those thinking that her stupid statement is Mr. Chauvin's 'get out of jail free' card: think again.

Briefly (and Minnesota law may be different, but I doubt it), the defense would have to prove that 'but for' Ms. Water's statement, the jury would have found Mr. Chauvin 'not guilty'. A heavy burden. Plus, you know that the individual jury members will tell any court that they obeyed the order of the judge to not watch the news during the presentation of evidence (once they entered the jury room, they were sequestered).

If I understand right, Mr. Chauvin has opted to have the sentencing phase in front of the judge, not the jury. I believe that Mr. Chauvin had a choice of judge or jury for sentencing, and after being convicted of all three counts in a very short period of time, he wisely opted for the judge.

I will finish that I was a little surprised of conviction on all three counts. I figured that there would be at least one juror that would insist on convicting on the least serious charge, and exoneration on the two higher charges. That all 12 jurors agreed to convict on all three is damning. Of course, that 9 minute videotape was damning.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:44 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I guess I just find it a bit hard to believe that Chauvin intentionally "murdered" Floyd in broad daylight in front of a crowd of people who he knew were recording him with three other officers who also knew they were being recorded. One being Asian and another being mixed-race.
None of the charges asserted "intent."
Quote:
  • The 2nd degree murder charge was "unintentional" murder.
  • 3rd degree murder does not assert intent but reckless disregard.
  • Manslaughter required proof of culpable negligence.
To convict on any of the counts, jurors had to find that Chauvin used a level of force that would be considered unreasonable to an objective officer in his position. Hindsight can’t be a factor.

The charges differed when it comes to Chauvin’s state of mind — with second-degree murder requiring some level of intent — not an intent to kill but that Chauvin intended to apply unlawful force to Floyd — all the way down to manslaughter, which required proof of culpable negligence.

https://apnews.com/article/derek-cha...e4993110d959df
Nine minutes, 29 seconds with a knee on the neck. There is no acceptable justification under the circumstances. None.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-20-2021 at 05:55 PM..

Old 04-20-2021, 05:44 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post

I hate all cops, but second-degree murder? That's insane. The only explanation is either a biased jury, or a jury who felt threatened/pressured to convict.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:45 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq1Fba-lxDE

I would GUESS that she is one of many.

P.S. I don't doubt that you don't personally know any liberals that actually want to abolish the police, however, just as I don't.
As you say, I don't know her. Lots of people out there on YouTube I don't agree with. The majority of folks I would imagine don't want to abolish the police.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:46 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I hate all cops, but second-degree murder? That's insane. The only explanation is either a biased jury, or a jury who felt threatened/pressured to convict.
Or believed that he deserved to be convicted of the charge.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:48 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
This was a very tainted jury the cop will win his appeal!
Even though that is what you want it won't happen. To much evidence against him.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:48 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Or a jury who watched that tape and understood murder when they saw it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies