Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Biden Increase SALT Deductions?
Yes, Dems are right to want to lower taxes on the rich 6 14.63%
No, Reps and AOC are correct don't subsidize localities with rich tax cuts 33 80.49%
Unsure 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 09:04 PM

2,450 posts, read 971,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
no. Earning $150K (what's required to afford a $600K mortgage, assuming you've held the house a few years), puts you in the top 10% nationally. That's not middle class.

In NYC the median income is 107K. The top 20% is still $150K (as indicated above), and top 20% is not "middle class"
Yes, that looks good on paper, the reality is that $150 grand a year in the city of New York and you are just getting by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 09:11 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
That's a California regulation problem jacking up the cost of everything - which was Trump's point. If California wants to have an insane amount of regulations that raises the costs - why should I in Texas subsidize that nonsense?

It's ridiculous for a regular home to cost that much.

No - it meant to say the country shouldn't compensate for states who over-regulate and over-tax. For some reason, Democrats fit in to that category. They are free to make life more affordable, but choose not to. That's their problem.

That's not true. CA property tax is way lower than TX. CA caps the property tax at 1% of the sale price and thereafter it cannot reassess the property at more than 2% per year. Even if the house value goes up 100X the property tax still stays at 1% of the original sales price plus maximum of 2% increase per year.

I looked into TX properties, property tax there is definitely way higher than 1% of the price. I know the local government usually does not assess the full value of the home, but still it typically comes out to over 2% of the price if I remember correctly.

For one of my properties in the Midwest, I once got a tax bill that is 30+% higher than the previous year! That'd never happen in CA.

The state has little control over how much people pay for homes. You can argue they should build more homes, but that's a topic for another thread.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:25 PM

4,376 posts, read 1,693,382 times
I am not 1% (not even close), but between my salary and my property taxes, I hit the $10,000 limit pretty easily.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:29 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
That's not true. CA property tax is way lower than TX. CA caps the property tax at 1% of the sale price and thereafter it cannot reassess the property at more than 2% per year. Even if the house value goes up 100X the property tax still stays at 1% of the original sales price plus maximum of 2% increase per year.

I looked into TX properties, property tax there is definitely way higher than 1% of the price. I know the local government usually does not assess the full value of the home, but still it typically comes out to over 2% of the price if I remember correctly.

For one of my properties in the Midwest, I once got a tax bill that is 30+% higher than the previous year! That'd never happen in CA.

The state has little control over how much people pay for homes. You can argue they should build more homes, but that's a topic for another thread.

Umm... you know there are more ways to collect taxes that through property taxes, right? And regulations are also part of the problem.

The reason Texas property taxes are high is because we do not have an income tax.

California absolutely has control over how much people pay for a home... are you kidding me?

Educate yourself...

5 Reasons California's Housing Costs Are So High

1. We Haven't Built Enough Housing

2. Demand to Live and Work and Own in Urban California Has Reached a Breaking Point, and Part of That Demand Is Global

3. Proposition 13 Dilutes a City's Incentive to Build New Housing

4. In Most Parts of California, the Process to Get New Housing Approved Is Difficult, Time-Consuming and Expensive

5. Land, Labor and Raw Material Costs Are Higher in California Than the Rest of the Country. And Those Costs Are Rising

Number 3 deals with the property taxes and how their caps affect other areas.

Proposition 13 has made development decisions much more complicated. Because property taxes are capped, local governments have become increasingly reliant on other revenue sources. That vacant land is much more valuable to the city’s coffers if a big box retailer gets built on it, as opposed to a multifamily apartment building.

Housing nerds call this the “fiscalization of land use.”

There’s debate about just how much Proposition 13 is to blame for the state’s housing shortage. But talk to local elected officials, and you’ll see the issue isn’t just a hypothetical dilemma.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:31 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,150,157 times
Biden's perennial conundrum is remembering which side of his Depends is the release for unload.

Old 04-21-2021, 04:12 AM

26,464 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Turd Collector View Post
That’s simply not true. In much of the north east, a modest home in a lower middle class neighborhood will have property taxes over $10k per year.

It is true. Read below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The Brookings Institute, which according to the Washington Post is liberal leaning, says I am correct.

If Biden undoes Trump SALT policy it would benefit the wealthy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bro...-expanded/amp/

To repeat if we repeal Trump's SALT policy:

The top 0.1% get 25% of the $ benefits

The top 1% get 57% of the $ benefits

The top 20% get 96% of the $ benefits

The bottom 20% get 0% of the $ benefits

Households in the middle 60% would average $27 in tax savings and the top 0.1% would average $145,000 in savings.

Republicans and AOC are right when they say that mainstream Democrats are pushing tax cuts for the well to do.

The Democrats are simply going to bat for the households that make $500K+. They represent 65% of them.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:00 PM

26,464 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

There really isn't a big difference between CA and TX for the typical tax paying person.

California has a total tax burden of 9.48%. Texas is at 8.19%.

That really isn't dramatically different.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...x-burden/20494

Bottom line is, Pelosi and mainstream Democrats are advocating a massive tax break for the wealthy.

The bottom 80%, 80%!, will only get 4% of the money.

The top 1% will get 57% of the money.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Umm... you know there are more ways to collect taxes that through property taxes, right? And regulations are also part of the problem.

The reason Texas property taxes are high is because we do not have an income tax.

California absolutely has control over how much people pay for a home... are you kidding me?

Educate yourself...

5 Reasons California's Housing Costs Are So High

[COLOR=”Navy”]1. We Haven't Built Enough Housing

2. Demand to Live and Work and Own in Urban California Has Reached a Breaking Point, and Part of That Demand Is Global

3. Proposition 13 Dilutes a City's Incentive to Build New Housing

4. In Most Parts of California, the Process to Get New Housing Approved Is Difficult, Time-Consuming and Expensive

5. Land, Labor and Raw Material Costs Are Higher in California Than the Rest of the Country. And Those Costs Are Rising[/color]

Number 3 deals with the property taxes and how their caps affect other areas.

[COLOR=”Navy”]Proposition 13 has made development decisions much more complicated. Because property taxes are capped, local governments have become increasingly reliant on other revenue sources. That vacant land is much more valuable to the city’s coffers if a big box retailer gets built on it, as opposed to a multifamily apartment building.

Housing nerds call this the “fiscalization of land use.”

There’s debate about just how much Proposition 13 is to blame for the state’s housing shortage. But talk to local elected officials, and you’ll see the issue isn’t just a hypothetical dilemma.[/color]

For middle class, the income tax rate in California not that different from Nebraska. For a person with $80k taxable income, the difference between CA and NE tax is around $50. So stop with this CA taxes too much nonsense. CA taxes the rich too much, but for middle class they're right in line with other states.

California Income Tax Calculator

Nebraska Income Tax Calculator

The SALT change that Trump implemented doesn't punish high taxes, it punishes high income! People who are making $150k, still considered middle class in metropolitan cities, are those who are getting hit the worse.

You don't have to tell me about the housing issue in CA. I know more about this subject than most real estate agents, politicians, and investors.

What we do know is this not Democrat or Republican - three Republican governors oversaw CA during the last few decades and none of them could fix the problem. It happens in liberal San Francisco and conservative Orange County.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Sure would be simpler to eliminate SALT deductions for all.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
There really isn't a big difference between CA and TX for the typical tax paying person.

California has a total tax burden of 9.48%. Texas is at 8.19%.

That really isn't dramatically different.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...x-burden/20494

Bottom line is, Pelosi and mainstream Democrats are advocating a massive tax break for the wealthy.

The bottom 80%, 80%!, will only get 4% of the money.

The top 1% will get 57% of the money.

Well yes, Pelosi has never been popular with the progressive and she is usually in bed with the moderates and liberals. There's a reason why one of the riches cities in the nation chose her as their representative. She was never this AOC progressive that you guys paint her to be, she is a big money capitalist through and through.

I didn't read your source but I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. This tax the mega rich thing never came from the moderates of the Democratic party, which is the majority of the party. It's always been the progressives and the more progressive liberals who are saying that.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies