Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Biden Increase SALT Deductions?
Yes, Dems are right to want to lower taxes on the rich 6 14.63%
No, Reps and AOC are correct don't subsidize localities with rich tax cuts 33 80.49%
Unsure 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 01:30 PM

26,489 posts, read 15,066,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I'm marveling at the refusal to accept anything concrete as "middle class" and "rich" or "well off".

Instead it's just a constant stream of "well, I make $X and I pay more than $10K and I'm middle class!"
Per the leftist Brookings Institute:

Bottom 20% are low income and they get 0% of the benefit.

Middle 60% are middle class and they get 4% of the benefit with the average household getting $27.

The top 20% are upper class and upper middle class and they get 96% of the benefit with the top 1% getting 57% of all benefits and the top 0.1% getting 25% of all benefits at $145,000 per household benefit.

Over half the benefit will got to homes making more than 500K a year.

Pelosi and Schumer are demanding tax cuts for the wealthy and lying to your face when they say it is for the middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It is not that hard to hit the SALT limit. I don't make any where near $500K and I do and I live in a supposedly low tax maroon state. We don't need to repeal it, just raise it enough that I am not affected.
You need to pay your fair share. If you are hitting it you are successful. Pay your fair share.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:33 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,250,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It is not that hard to hit the SALT limit. I don't make any where near $500K and I do and I live in a supposedly low tax maroon state. We don't need to repeal it, just raise it enough that I am not affected.
Thank you for your refreshing honesty.

Old 05-10-2021, 02:59 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,410 times
I couldn't make it through every post in this thread, so maybe someone said it first. The bump in standard deduction cut limited the harm that the loss of unlimited SALT caused, FOR NOW. There was still a disproportionate harm levied on higher cost of living states immediately, which is problem enough that this issue should be looked at. But SALT was an auto-adjustor on local cost of living inflation for everyone, which is typically driven by local economic activity. Putting arbitrary restrictions on SALT will magnify the problem of the federal government ignoring the cost of living when collecting taxes and dispatching aid.

Old 05-11-2021, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Thank you for your refreshing honesty.
You see that selfishness and hypocrisy in a lot of people. No wonder the country is slowly dying.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:10 AM

21,922 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Per the leftist Brookings Institute:

Bottom 20% are low income and they get 0% of the benefit.

Middle 60% are middle class and they get 4% of the benefit with the average household getting $27.

The top 20% are upper class and upper middle class and they get 96% of the benefit with the top 1% getting 57% of all benefits and the top 0.1% getting 25% of all benefits at $145,000 per household benefit.

Over half the benefit will got to homes making more than 500K a year.

Pelosi and Schumer are demanding tax cuts for the wealthy and lying to your face when they say it is for the middle class.
Hypocrites, thy name is Democrat. (And I am a high earner in a blue state).

Old 05-11-2021, 08:00 AM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,779,901 times
I live in NY and I guess considered upper middle class. The SALT limitation definitely hurt in the wallet, but then again the AMT went away also. You won't hear me complaining if Biden wants to restore SALT, but I think it's absolutely unnecessary. The State is awash in cash and instead of lowering taxes they're giving aid to illegal immigrants.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:56 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
When supply is low, that is correct - prices will be high. Why is the housing supply low? Go back to my post detailing California's issues.

"Middle class is not out of whack"... you're nuts.

Probably a typo, but you are right - the most ludicrous jobs are in CA. Your post is also ludicrous.

I don't know why right-wingers like to argue reality.

A household making $192k is still middle class in a city like SF. It's just facts. You've basically made several posts saying this is "out of whack". So what? It is what it is. What you want to do? Lower everyone's salary in SF?

And then you've pivoted to "Well, housing supply is low." Again, so what? You started with SALT and now is on to housing development. This is a thread about SALT, why don't we stick to SALT?

Old 05-11-2021, 02:43 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
not a 1%. SALT cap increased my federal taxes by a large amount.

Same here. I'm hundreds of thousands of dollars away from being in the top 1% and the SALT cap increased my taxes quite a bit.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:51 PM

962 posts, read 540,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's not about the middle class... it's about the federal government subsidizing states with outrageously high taxes.

By turning this into a class issue, it misses the point. States need to reduce their tax rates - and it's fully within their control to do so.

We never link the pains of the middle class and require states to change. Why not?
Those states with outrageously high taxes subsidize the federal government by sending more tax dollars to Washington than they receive back.

It's states like Alabama, Mississippi and Kentucky that get more from the federal government than they send. Why should I be happy with my tax dollars going to Kentucky where their incompetent government will just perpetuate horrible conditions for their poor, requiring even more federal aid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies