Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 06:42 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
what kind of 16yo goes after someone with a blade....with intent to kill

the problem is not the cops.....the problem is letting this sort of thing go on for so long....people think it's normal
Why is this a surprise to you ? 16 year olds are gunning each other down in the streets of Detroit , nightly. Yeah, lets do away with the police (like Talib suggested) , or blame guns, or blame the "system" for this. Like you said, this should not be normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 06:47 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Right?

The only time Ive done it was some of the godawful shooting of certain groups of cops. Some cops need more range time.

We saw several vest cam views and that girl was swinging the knife at her victim. Plus, knife girl was grabbing at other and kinda tied in a knot together. The cop was an expert marksman to stop the attack and not hurt the victim

Old 04-21-2021, 06:48 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
what kind of 16yo goes after someone with a blade....with intent to kill

the problem is not the cops.....the problem is letting this sort of thing go on for so long....people think it's normal
I had someone pull a knife on me in a fight when I was 14....and early 20's someone tried to mug me. And another when I was in my mid 40's. Stuff happens, and some folks are either stupid, drunk, or unable to deal with losing a fight. I do have to say that schools are FAR less violent then when I attended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
We saw several vest cam views and that girl was swinging the knife at her victim. Plus, knife girl was grabbing at other and kinda tied in a knot together. The cop was an expert marksman to stop the attack and not hurt the victim
There have been some incidents of cops using a ton of ammo and missing. I wasnt meaning to imply this was one of them.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:49 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
if they were honest they would come to terms with some cities it's like a zoo with weapons. Who can say that and not be shouted down?

They are lost children, fatherless without any idea of right and wrong....and armed.

It is a tragedy and a component of the black culture and Big Joe are in a dysfunctional denial state.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I had someone pull a knife on me in a fight when I was 14....and early 20's someone tried to mug me. And another when I was in my mid 40's. Stuff happens, and some folks are either stupid, drunk, or unable to deal with losing a fight. I do have to say that schools are FAR less violent then when I attended.

There have been some incidents of cops using a ton of ammo and missing. I wasnt meaning to imply this was one of them.
gosh. rough neighborhood.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:52 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
gosh. rough neighborhood.
not really. It was pretty rural. And a different time. Just rednecks being dumb mostly. And not a single one of them resulted in any law enforcement action.

Well the one when I was in my early 40s wasn't rural, that was in the city, and this may amuse folks here-I dont carry a gun, but 2 of the people with me did. We probably should have called the cops, but honestly seeing this moron try and stick us up with a knife was sort of amusing. One of the guys didn't even draw his gun, just pulled this huge freaking knife, and straight out of the movie literally said "naw this is a real knife" while the other drew his weapon. Guy ran off.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
not really. It was pretty rural. And a different time. Just rednecks being dumb mostly. And not a single one of them resulted in any law enforcement action.
I see. Glad you survived =)

Old 04-21-2021, 07:00 PM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
...great story

Old 04-21-2021, 07:04 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,057,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Ok. I'm going to go ahead and put my head in the guillotine here and suggest something crazy. Is it at all possible that the officer could have tried to take a less lethal shot at this girl? Yes, I know, cops aren't all sharpshooters. But at this range, I feel most officers who are at least semi-proficient with a firearm could probably wound this girl's leg rather than going for the kill shot. Now please, understand, I believe the use of a firearm was justified in this instance. This girl was obviously intent upon dealing serious if not mortal injuries to another human being, and as such, police took action to stop this girl's attacks. I just truly wish we'd see police shoot to wound more often. I guarantee you a bullet in the leg would have stopped this girl in her tracks, and today she'd be alive to face justice for her crimes. Instead, she is dead. No chance for redemption, no chance to serve time for her crimes. Just gone. Perhaps more funding, not less, should be given to police departments around the country to fund firearms training. If more police felt confident in their ability to wound rather than kill, I bet they'd go that route more often than not. Especially in a situation like this where the criminal has brought a knife to a gun fight. I feel horrible for everyone involved, and I hope the officers involved don't get hung out to dry simply to appease the angry mobs in the streets. This is not another George Floyd incident. This girl was not shot after being rendered helpless laying face first on the ground. These officers should face no punishment for doing their job.

PS. Here's another thought. Perhaps a warning shot into the ground before we open fire would have stopped this situation. We don't know what state of mind this girl was in, but I know from experience a gun shot at close range will get anyone's attention. Just throwing ideas out there that could possibly save a few lives while also keeping our police armed and ready for the dangers they face every day.
Hey Reads2MUCH, cops are trained to shoot Center Mass to stop the threat. About 20-23 years ago in NYC, the civilians on the Police Review Board made this argument that why don’t cops just shoot the gun, knife or whatever out of the criminals hands and other stupid things that you either see in the movies or read from a book.

Since the civilians were seeking more authority to review police activities that were called into question, it was agreed that they need to COMPLETE the FULL firearms training that police recruits are given AND complete a week or two weeks of ride alongs with cops.

After completing the full amount of time for basic firearms training, they were given the change to draw a semi-auto pistol from the holster AND shoot the “gun” or “knife” on the paper target “OR” to even shoot the paper target in the “leg” or “arm,” within 3 seconds. The target was only 12 feet away AND the individuals were not under severe stress.

Long story short, they couldn’t and the most important part was to now understand why cops are trained to shoot Center Mass to stop the threat... To them or another innocent person. Plus, the ride alongs was an eye opener to many of them since they were able to see how criminal act, instead of simply hearing their stories afterwards.

With that said, “I” strongly recommend that citizens contact their local police departments and sign the waiver, in order to do a ride along for a night or two. This way the people can see what and how things really are, in the real world.

IMHO, “I” think that most people experiences with firearms and policing are from TV and the movies that they’ve watched. I guess that’s cool since my only experiences with Vampires and Aliens come from TV and the movies as well.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:10 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
So as more is coming out -- we are hearing/seeing more details. It looks like that the lady with the knife was ready to hurt the lady in pink.

Not the same situation at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies