Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2021, 08:10 AM

8,942 posts, read 2,963,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yes 719 per day, which is not an all-time low as you falsely claimed a few posts ago.

I'm not worried, so your question makes no sense.
What is your magic number that will be an acceptable level of deaths that you will not longer want to have ridiculous restrictions, mask mandates, etc.

You cited a number and expressed concern over it, so obviously you should have a number in your mind that would be acceptable to you?

What is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 08:11 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Use your brain man, there are currently about 65,000 new covid cases per day in USA. You're wondering why stores weren't closed for TB in 2019 when USA had less than 9,000 cases the entire year?
You're acting as though they're the same thing.

They aren't. Not even in the same universe, as far as risk goes.

Use your brain, man.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:12 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,665,707 times
Quote:
Cases lead to deaths and hospitalizations, so yes they are important. Seven day average for deaths is about 719, which is not an all-time low since it dipped under 600 in the summer of 2020.

Something that kills 1 in 200 is a very serious illness.

No, It isnt. Its not even 1%. That amount is not statistically significant, and yes I do have a math degree in Stat.

Last edited by tipsyguam; 04-23-2021 at 08:22 AM..

Old 04-23-2021, 08:12 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Which governments closed businesses and implemented mask/distancing mandates during the TB pandemic of 2019?
I don't know. TB is mostly prevalent in developing countries, I wouldn't expect USA to make policy decisions based on how said developing countries deal with their TB problems.

I wouldn't expect you living in USA to "see" any closures for TB since there are less than 9,000 infections per year, which is what makes it so funny you wondering aloud why you hadn't seen any TB related business closures.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Do you really need someone to spell this out to you?

If I have heart disease and you sit next to me in a movie theater or at a restaurant, you're not going to catch heart disease.

We cannot say the same for COVID-19.
BUT EVEN STILL...........EVEN THOUGH COVID IS CONTAGIOUS, IT STILL doesn't kill as many people as heart disease!

I thought you were worried about deaths?

If you're worried about getting the virus from someone, all you have to do is stay home forever! Heart disease involved eating right, having good genetics, exercising, etc.

You downplay other causes of death that are greater, simply because of an irrelevant characteristic of it. No one sits around every day and freaks out about "heart disease" even though IT KILLS MORE PEOPLE EVERY YEAR THAN CORONA EVER WILL!

Old 04-23-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
You cited a number and expressed concern over it, so obviously you should have a number in your mind that would be acceptable to you?
I didn't express concern. In addition to getting caught lying about USA having all-time low death rate, you're now fighting straw-men by assigning me emotions. Recognizing the severity of a disease or the logic of health measures is the not the same as someone being concerned.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You're acting as though they're the same thing.

They aren't. Not even in the same universe, as far as risk goes.
I understand they aren't the same thing, which is what was so funny about Deforrest trying to compare them for business closures, especially when he lives in USA where there is hardly any TB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
No, It isnt.
Sure it is. 1 in 200 is a very serious mortality rate.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I didn't express concern. In addition to getting caught lying about USA having all-time low death rate, you're now fighting straw-men by assigning me emotions. Recognizing the severity of a disease or the logic of health measures is the not the same as someone being concerned.
Yes you did. You said "it's not the lowest we've ever had."

Why can't you tell me an acceptable level of corona deaths that will stop you from being worried?

You're the one that brought up numbers, but now you don't want to describe the optimal situation???

What's your end game? Surely you've thought about this? When will you stop worrying and go back to a 2019 life?

There will always be people who die of coronavirus. Do you plan on living a life of masks and distancing forever?

You really haven't thought of any of this? Do you just do whatever your TV tells you forever?

Old 04-23-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I understand they aren't the same thing, which is what was so funny about Deforrest trying to compare them for business closures, especially when he lives in USA where there is hardly any TB.

Sure it is. 1 in 200 is a very serious mortality rate.
The mortality rate isn't anywhere CLOSE to 1 in 200.

That's made up.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:29 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
BUT EVEN STILL...........EVEN THOUGH COVID IS CONTAGIOUS, IT STILL doesn't kill as many people as heart disease!

I thought you were worried about deaths?

If you're worried about getting the virus from someone, all you have to do is stay home forever! Heart disease involved eating right, having good genetics, exercising, etc.

You downplay other causes of death that are greater, simply because of an irrelevant characteristic of it. No one sits around every day and freaks out about "heart disease" even though IT KILLS MORE PEOPLE EVERY YEAR THAN CORONA EVER WILL!
People's perspectives on this thing are completely irrational. You aren't going to get anywhere with a strategy based solely on presenting a logical rebuttal to their assertions.

Same thing as trying to point out to anti-gun folks that the vast majority of gun violence happens only in certain areas and is committed by a certain demographic of citizen. That reality, which is integral to the discussion, is flatly ignored as though it doesn't exist.

People have been taught to simply ignore information which isn't compatible with their beliefs. Note I used the word "beliefs." Much of what's happening right now is based on a belief system, not observable reality. You have as much of a chance of using facts to bring people around as an atheist has of convincing a believer that God doesn't exist. It isn't going to happen.

You need to get people thinking on their own. Everyone's so used to and comfortable with being told what they think, they've forgotten how to do it for themselves. This is on both sides, but mostly on one.

Plant seeds of thought. Introduce subtle inconsistencies in their logic. Don't tell them things, get them to figure it out on their own. Don't directly attack their ideas or you're back to square one. This weird belief system they've adopted has rejection of information built into the ideology, so getting them to figure it out on their own is the ONLY way to bring them back to reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies