Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2021, 07:37 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
why would anyone do that? Even Mexico has universal healthcare. The only folks who could do this are wealthy folks in 3rd world countries....and in most of those they can get better healthcare cheaper.

Literally the only major country without universal healthcare is.....us.

They would be better off going to Canada.
They cannot go to Canada because Canada does not take in immigrants with pre existing conditions. Unless it's hiv,because then it would be "discrimination".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 07:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Excellent points all around!

And if people knew - that Obamacare typically only pays about 30 cents on the dollar of billings.
It is a way f'd up medical world we live in!

Then there was the time my doc buddy was doling out cheap wine out of an Opus One bottle...
As you know, Obamacare is legislation, not insurance. A private insurance company reimburses a provider at the negotiated rate for in network providers.

The negotiated rate ( discount) seems highly variable by procedure. Based on my husband’s bills, as paid by BCBS, it’s been all over the place.

I have never understood why providers bill more than the rate they agreed to accept from an insurer.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Report what? It's 100% legal.

They have been doing this for years, only stopped in 2020 due to travel restrictions.
Someone said is like reading it on the internet.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
This is a discussion about how the Democrat's pre-existing condition law harms Americans.
This so called “ preexisting conditions law was supported by Trump and eventually most of the Republicans in Congress.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:52 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
As you know, Obamacare is legislation, not insurance. A private insurance company reimburses a provider at the negotiated rate for in network providers.

The negotiated rate ( discount) seems highly variable by procedure. Based on my husband’s bills, as paid by BCBS, it’s been all over the place.

I have never understood why providers bill more than the rate they agreed to accept from an insurer.
So that they can show whoever will listen about all their 'losses'.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:54 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I suspect its because both sides want to make a profit. The insurance side would prefer to pay as little as possible. The provider as much as possible.

Our health system has some serious issues, and we do not have the political will or ability to fix it because of all the corporate money involved.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:57 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Have you ever filed for an extension on your visa?

I have. Multiple times for myself and for other people.

Yeah, you just file it and the DHS just rubber-stamps it and sends it back to you.
I've worked closely with people who had to uproot everything and move to Canada because that didn't happen. With HR legal of a multi-billion-dollar company in their corner. You've either been very lucky or you're not 100% truthful.

Sure, back before 9/11, the INS was all sorts of careless. Times have changed.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 04-22-2021 at 08:07 PM..

Old 04-22-2021, 08:00 PM

2,450 posts, read 972,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
why would anyone do that? Even Mexico has universal healthcare. The only folks who could do this are wealthy folks in 3rd world countries....and in most of those they can get better healthcare cheaper.

Literally the only major country without universal healthcare is.....us.

They would be better off going to Canada.
Would you let a Mexican "doctor" work on you? One day the guy is mowing your lawn the next day he is performing brain surgery. I don't think so. The Mexican healthcare system is bad the Mexicans don't want their fellow countrymen working on them. They want the white devil treating them.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:00 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Where did I say the foreigners got on the Obamacare?
This you?

Quote:
Since the enactment of Obamacare and the mandate that insurance companies must cover pre-existing conditions, foreigners are flooding to the US seeking health care.
Or this?

Quote:
1. He comes to the US and signs up with an insurance company for a low copay and low deductible plan.
2. He pays the premium of $1500/month - the insurance company can't turn him down because of his pre-existing condition.
3. He goes to see the doctors, gets treatments, rakes up a huge amount of medical bills.
4. The doctors and hospitals bill the insurance company and the insurance company pays the bills.
Arguably, point 1 sort of implies a foreigner.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Define help. Forcing other people to pay for your expenses is not help.
All insurance pools risks. This includes, auto, life, property, liability, flood, crop and of course, healthcare.

People who live in areas with healthier populations, defined as claims made and type of claim, pay less than those in areas where the population trends unhealthy, regardless of YOUR health.

People who live in areas with more auto accidents, thefts, etc pay higher premiums than people who live in areas where there are fewer accidents, thefts etc.

As it relates to healthcare, the individual mandate was eliminated. You are free to be uninsured and self pay for your healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies