Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 04:47 AM

4,628 posts, read 3,390,743 times

Advertisements

Many conservatives keep running this same bogus argument that goes something like this:

"Hey we fixed the bogus racist rules/laws around 1965 or so. So our black brothers and sisters should stop complaining and sink or swim."

The problem is when you play the game of monopoly every player starts with the same amount of money and property. The conservative argument is it doesn't matter that the black community joined the game after X number of rounds were already played and the existing players had already amassed X amount of wealth.

FWIW, I am not arguing here for reparations nor am I arguing for a perfect distribution of wealth or income. But I am arguing for a recognition that there is a historical disadvantage that was built into the system. I think the best remedies are programs like Baby Bonds which was one of Corey Booker's key proposals in his Presidential campaign in 2020.

Baby-Bonds: For something like $80 billion a year- less than a tenth of the annual cost of Social Security, the U.S. could reduce wealth inequality, improve social mobility, foster self-sufficiency among poor families, and increase family net worth for low and moderate income households. This is a "race-neutral" program because it would be targeted based on income/wealth and benefit poor people of all backgrounds. However, it would disproportionately help blacks since they joined the game of Monopoly late and have less wealth than the average family/household.

Last edited by Astral_Weeks; 04-22-2021 at 05:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 05:03 AM

1,265 posts, read 444,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Democrats are the parasite and they foster irresponsibility and mischief in everyone.
Yet somehow they continue to maintain that seat at the table.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:43 AM

5,166 posts, read 4,937,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Black people need to take responsibility for their own lives and communities and stop blaming others.
Isn't that what Louis Farrakhan preaches?
But, yes, you are correct although I wouldn't limit it to just blacks. Everyone needs to take responsibility for their own lives and communities.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:00 AM

6,634 posts, read 2,951,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
The problem is when you play the game of monopoly every player starts with the same amount of money and property. The conservative argument is it doesn't matter that the black community joined the game after X number of rounds were already played and the existing players had already amassed X amount of wealth.

The only thing is this Isn't a "game".

How many people came to this country with even less after the 'game' and still made it just fine?
My parents sure didn't emigrate here on a gold jet in the 60's.

I don't doubt that that had some effect,..but the vision in my head is that it's these Waspy CaddyShack blonde hair blue eye snobs that had the benefits.

But there are vastly more 'normal' whites and minorities that all had to schlep their way through life and find their own level of success.

To lump today's whites in with those pre-Jim crow elites is a stretch , imho.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:17 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
And white people who think they were born with the world owing them a living from cradle to grave absolutely need to do the very same thing.
"And white people who think they were born with the world owing them a living from cradle to grave absolutely need to do the very same thing"

And how many you YOU know PERSONALLY who fell like that?

Exaggerate much?

Old 04-22-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I owe no one anything except my family. So I owe blacks nothing. Yes the liberals would like to make me and every other white person feel guilty for being white. I do not feel the least bit guilty and they can go screw themselves!
"So I owe blacks nothing"

Maybe they should pay US for getting the ancestors OUT OF AFRICA! Where would the be today if their fellow blacks did NOT sell their kin into slavery?

"Yes the liberals would like to make me and every other white person feel guilty for being white."

And they IGNORE some of the people who owned the MOST slaver were BLACK!

Old 04-22-2021, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Oooohhhh boooyyyy

I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole^
What are you afraid of?

As I recall you ALWAYS have a lot to say on this issue. And it is usually racist toward WHITES!

Old 04-22-2021, 06:27 AM

2,106 posts, read 977,092 times
I would just like to know what’s the latest name Black people want to be called , they seem to change it so often , us oldies are use to referring them as colored people , now that’s an insult it seems, they want to be called black , or is it African American ? And how long it will be until they decide to change it again , 4-5 changes in my life time

Old 04-22-2021, 06:28 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,654,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
Equality. That’s what they owe them... and everyone else.
True, equality, but it works on both sides. Everyone needs to pull their share. The government continues to create inequality by giving benefits, freebies, etc. to those that prefer not to pull their fair share. Instead of finding solutions to those less fortunate, the government sends more money, putting greater burden on those that paying taxes.

The government claims it wasn't equality for education, yet Biden and Obama voted against school choice which would provide the option for children to go to a better school.

IMO racism has become the new name of the game ever since Obama was in the WH. If you check out Biden's history, he was a segregationist, yet people elected him and America is more divided than ever.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Black people were brought to America against their will originally. Now Africans line up for the chance to come here and many sneak in illegally. Most blacks have done very well in America and it's unlikely that any wish their ancestors had remained in Africa.

Those who have not succeeded and are part of the Ghetto subculture do not want to change their way of life. I spent more than 30 years trying to change that mindset in an inner-city high school and witnessed this first-hand. In retrospect, it was 30+ years mostly wasted. If I could do it over, I would not have spent my life trying to help the ungrateful. They don't want an education. They simply want money to spend on bling!

They need to get past the notion that white people owe them anything. My own great-grandparents immigrated from Scotland (penniless), became moderately successful, and never owned any slaves. I worked in low-paying agriculture jobs beginning when I was 14. Poor whites, Hispanics and Asians. Guess who would NOT do these jobs?

If by some chance reparations are approved, when will it end? I've recently seen estimates of 12-20 trillion dollars for reparations. Will America owe the descendants of slaves (and possibly any other black citizens) payments for being black forever?
"Black people were brought to America against their will originally."

WRONG!. The 1st were indentured servants.

Both IS and slavers were SOLD BY their FELLOW BLACKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies