Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2021, 06:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
That's usually the case if you're an employee.

https://www.yeoandyeo.com/resource/c...ion%20category.

There is also a work search requirement in many states

As stated earlier, the majority of workers on unemployment are not on minimum wage jobs, so these cherry picked anecdotes really don't address the numbers. Finding a job that makes workers underemployed is not a viable solution for most. In addition, unemployment rates have indeed come down significantly since the start of the pandemic.
Can't rep you but this.

We have huge sectors that aren't up and running -- entertainment, travel, etc.......to imply a few waiters represent all those unemployed is a little naive.

Last year Republicans in office voted for those unemployment benefits but now that the Democrats are in charge -- it is a problem.

i'm sick of the stupid logic and thought processes plagued by our tribal politics.

Why aren't we hearing the GOP call for employers to report those employees refusing to return to work if they are so concerned about the abuse of the system.

Instead they make you all think that everyone on unemployment right now is abusing the system. ....why do they do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 06:56 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Can't rep you but this.

We have huge sectors that aren't up and running -- entertainment, travel, etc.......to imply a few waiters represent all those unemployed is a little naive.

Last year Republicans in office voted for those unemployment benefits but now that the Democrats are in charge -- it is a problem.

i'm sick of the stupid logic and thought processes plagued by our tribal politics.

Why aren't we hearing the GOP call for employers to report those employees refusing to return to work if they are so concerned about the abuse of the system.

Instead they make you all think that everyone on unemployment right now is abusing the system. ....why do they do that?
Here in Kentucky there were 19 I think unemployment office employees who were discovered to be committing fraud against the system. People who applied for unemployment last year were not receiving anything, but many received notification that they had been approved and were receiving when they were not. You can't get ahold of anyone to help you. They were trying to get ahold of someone. The employees had the benefits going to them instead of who was supposed to get it. It's been in the news.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:13 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
I agree with the OP. Unemployment pays pretty good right now so many people rather not work.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:22 AM

36,522 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
24 pages and still no concrete evidence of folks choosing to stay home instead of work. No employer saying they called back all the staff they let go and none of them came back.......nope not one real life situation.

Some - I talked to a friend or I know someone.....but that doesn't explain thousands of people on unemployment.

It also doesn't explain how unemployment rates are dropping and the number of unemployed are dropping.

Lots of businesses closed permanently during the pandemic. I suspect many of them were borderline. They were one financial crisis away from going under. All those people are now joining the people who were let go with businesses that reduced staff or closed temporarily. So that pool is bigger, many places have reduced their over all workforce. So now we have tons of people looking for jobs...and they can pick and choose the hours, the pay, the kind of places they choose to work for.

Until we see employers reporting to unemployment officials that they have contacted THOUSANDS of people to return to work and those people have refused.......

we have no evidence of the feelings that employers are struggling to find people because of the trend of staying home to collect unemployment..
How is that calculated. Has it changed due to the pandemic. If people are unemployed but not actively seeking employment they are no longer calculated in the unemployment rate as I understand it.

Some time after the extended unemployment began NPR did a piece interviewing both employers and employees about this and both ends stated employees were not coming back to work (low wage jobs) once the businesses reopened because they were making more on unemployment.
IDK it that is going on still, but its seems most people are seeing help wanted signs and experiencing difficulty getting people to work.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:22 AM

4,050 posts, read 2,131,639 times
A local restaurant posted on Facebook that they are having difficulty getting staff, so they can’t accept every order for takeout or delivery.

Another one had a sign offering a $500 signing bonus for any position! Hopefully people have to stay for a while before getting it or to pay it back if they quit within a day or week.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:23 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
I work as a Radiology/ Cat scan technologist and the hospital I work for are looking for xray and CT techs but have a hard time finding people who are willing to even apply.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:30 AM

713 posts, read 759,351 times
Why would you work if you are making more or the same with unemployment?
Then your first 10k is tax free.
Then you also get free rent paid for because you are unemployed.

You are making out like a bandit by doing nothing.

This is one of the most stupid gov't policy to give people more money to be unemployed.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:03 AM

36,522 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I work as a Radiology/ Cat scan technologist and the hospital I work for are looking for xray and CT techs but have a hard time finding people who are willing to even apply.
Are those low wage jobs? I figured those positions paid enough that the unemployment bonus would not be comparable to their earnings.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:05 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
What state are you in?

Old 04-26-2021, 09:19 AM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I feel for the future generations. America is a quickly into a nation of lazy deadbeats and a government that encourages it

It also starts at home, with the values, focus and goals your parents instill in you. Not just feel like you are entitled to free stuff and not have to work for it. Most people are only as honest and motivated as their options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies