Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 07:44 AM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

Why should anybody be expected to work and contribute if it's not going to do them any good in the long run?
Maybe because they want/need some money NOW???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 07:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
How do you expect them to make money? 15 people working to sling you $1 cheeseburgers.

Wendys is for highschool/college students + part time workers.

I worked at a BK in highschool and we were all highschool/college students, elderly or were special needs. Nobody was working there for their career.
Groups that are considered high risk for exposure themselves or, potentially, to others in their households.

Hmm...

Old 04-22-2021, 07:47 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And there it is.

Again, maybe, just maybe, people don’t want to work with a public that regards them with such contempt.
Not contempt. Just explaining why a job that a 12-year-old could do is worth so little.

And I am always polite to fast-food workers. Just because they have a minimal value on the market doesn’t mean they should be treated with contempt. But neither should they be paid more than the job is worth.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:50 AM

2,335 posts, read 814,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Eh, your link is only for Philadelphia county and it only goes to January of this year. You are being sneaky thinking no one will check up on your bogus claim.
Eh, those are the most current numbers available from the Fed, which is a logical place to check unemployment numbers. However, if you are able to find a chart, any chart, that shows that things haven't significantly improved since last year, I will gladly buy you a stuffed teddy bear. I tend to look at actual numbers instead of rely on anonymous internet posters talking about a local coffee shop as their metric (that's not exactly scientific).

Old 04-22-2021, 07:56 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Yesterday, I was at my office over the lunch hour and needed coffee in addition to my lunch.

I stopped at Wendy's, only to get the coffee. First thing I noticed was about 12 cars waiting in line at the drive through. So I parked the car and went in. There were less people in the store, than were outside and in line, so I wait about 3 minutes and then they take my order for my one cup of large black coffee.

Easy, right? Should have it in 2 minutes.

Nope. It took at least 15 minutes and probably more for me to get that cup of coffee since they only had 3 people working in the entire store. Wish I had it on video. My conclusion is that people and especially young people have decided it's easier to sit back and collect unemployment, than it is to go into work.

Tell me I'm wrong.
IDK. My grand is finishing HS. He has been working at Krystal this year for 7 something/hr. after school and weekends. They wanted him to work 32 hrs. a week. I said no. He has been looking for another job with no luck yet. At least Krystal is flexible with his school/sports schedule.

It does appear fast food is having difficulty getting people to work. I'm sure its more than just people dont want to work. Pay, hours, etc.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:13 AM

589 posts, read 299,875 times
Quote:
Yesterday, I was at my office over the lunch hour and needed coffee in addition to my lunch.

I stopped at Wendy's, only to get the coffee. First thing I noticed was about 12 cars waiting in line at the drive through. So I parked the car and went in. There were less people in the store, than were outside and in line, so I wait about 3 minutes and then they take my order for my one cup of large black coffee.

Nope. It took at least 15 minutes and probably more for me to get that cup of coffee since they only had 3 people working in the entire store. Wish I had it on video. My conclusion is that people and especially young people have decided it's easier to sit back and collect unemployment, than it is to go into work.

Tell me I'm wrong.
I think you partially came to a wrong conclusion for taking too long to get your coffee.

What you concluded wrong: As you already know, businesses are out there to make money. To make money, they reduce their expenditure/costs. Considering Covid, they are operating at the very minimal needed basis to reduce cost. Which could be an indicator of small staff. Furthermore, businesses are paying employees for only one position but requiring and mandating they do multiple positions once they get hired.

What we can agree: Why wouldn't anyone want to work at a minimum wage job when you can get even more collecting unemployment and not do anything. Of course they would choose the later, who wouldn't? Instead of concluding people don't want to work, blame the Government by creating this situation instead of just opening everything up and the businesses that won't pay a fair wage to increase their profits.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:20 AM

4,295 posts, read 1,553,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Now it’s WaPo? You move from a Leftist source to another. By the way, the author of your link is this:

No, she wouldn’t be biased. No way.
Ok, I mean, I've been to Copenhagen. For my sins, I've eaten at a McDonalds in Denmark. The prices are very similar, yet their pay is at least double.

Unless you can find a source that you deem acceptable that refutes the figures I've provided, I guess we're done here.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:21 AM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:

Tell me I'm wrong.
It's the point. The lockdowns & seemingly perpetual stimulus bills fosters dependency on the government.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:28 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Not contempt. Just explaining why a job that a 12-year-old could do is worth so little.

And I am always polite to fast-food workers. Just because they have a minimal value on the market doesn’t mean they should be treated with contempt. But neither should they be paid more than the job is worth.

We wouldn’t be having this conversation is the OP didn’t feel on some level that he is entitled to not wait when he goes to Wendy’s for coffee.

That leads me to conclude that a fully staffed Wendy’s is essential to his well-being.

So what are people now perceived to be “essential” worth?

Old 04-22-2021, 08:32 AM

4,295 posts, read 1,553,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So what are people now perceived to be “essential” worth?
Amazing how quickly "essential workers" become teenage oiks who don't deserve better working conditions/pay isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies