Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 02:06 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,451,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
At this point, do you blame them for freaking out and trying to flee?

This was a SWAT team that came to arrest him - without seeing the video, it seems to me he might have just panicked and tried to save himself. Didn't work, though.

I know, I know, don't disobey cop's commands if you want to live to tell the tale, but this is not the America I want to live in.
Well, then what? Let the criminals go free because they don't want to get caught? Think about it. They has to be a consequence for breaking the law - otherwise we are lawless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 02:08 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,579 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Well, then what? Let the criminals go free because they don't want to get caught? Think about it. They has to be a consequence for breaking the law - otherwise we are lawless.
And shooting someone to death for avoiding arrest seems like a fair deal? I think you can address evading arrest in the court room, and from his rap sheet this man should have been in prison.

But he wasn't, and he's dead now because the arresting SWAT members purposely killed him for fleeing.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:13 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Was he resisting arrest?

Old 04-27-2021, 02:14 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Was he resisting arrest?
He was in his car, planning to drive away.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:18 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Family saw the footage and they are claiming the police did not release all of it. I suspect the results were not good for the family's case, so now they are claiming editing of video by police. Hopefully, a judge will soon allow the release so all can see it.

It is sad that this person did not choose a different life for himself, but he didn't, he is dead, and that is good news for his future victims. Want to end the war on drugs? Zero mercy for dealers and treat the addicted with medical and psychological treatment.
Of course they didn't release all of it, that's pretty standard practice. Usually there's a tailgate huddle before executing a search warrant and so on that most likely would not be relevant to whether it was a good shooting or not. Unless they're all hopping around excited about how they're going to bag one for 15 minutes none of that would be relevant. Family can ask for it and probably have it release to a judge in camera who would make the ruling how much of the body cam footage is to be released.

Quote:
And shooting someone to death for avoiding arrest seems like a fair deal? I think you can address evading arrest in the court room, and from his rap sheet this man should have been in prison.

But he wasn't, and he's dead now because the arresting SWAT members purposely killed him for fleeing.
Depends on what the charges and circumstances are. Used to be, yeah, if you stole some bubblegum and decided to run it was completely justified. That's not the case anymore. But for a more dangerous criminal who they suspect is armed and not taking the shot may put the public or officers at risk, it's still justified. Maybe your opinion on the law is that it's bad law but law is law whether we like it or not. There's plenty of old school cops who think it's bad law that they can't just mow down teenagers who get spooked after stealing some bubblegum as well.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:
He was in his car, planning to drive away.

Fleeing, you mean in manner similar to a person casually pulling out of their parking spot and driving away, with no one nearby? Or aiming their car at the police as they accelerate in a dangerous and erratic manner?

I haven't seen the video, and to be perfectly honest, at this point... I don't care anymore. Because even when the police do everything correctly, the BLM crowd comes unglued and wants to go into riot mode.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:22 PM

Here's a video released by the city. It's from a camera mounted on a phone pole. You can't really see anything - early in the video, the swat truck drives to his residence and you can hear put your hands up put your hands up and then apparently shots are fired, but at that point the camera "glitches". The city said the camera glitched because of the loud sounds of gunfire.

It seems he may have been in his car when they approached his residence - this happened VERY quickly - it's not like they knocked on the door and he darted out. They encountered him as soon as they drove up.

https://www.wavy.com/video/city-vide...w-browns-home/

Old 04-27-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Here's a video released by the city. It's from a camera mounted on a phone pole. You can't really see anything - early in the video, the swat truck drives to his residence and you can hear put your hands up put your hands up and then apparently shots are fired, but at that point the camera "glitches". The city said the camera glitched because of the loud sounds of gunfire.

It seems he may have been in his car when they approached his residence - this happened VERY quickly - it's not like they knocked on the door and he darted out. They encountered him as soon as they drove up.

https://www.wavy.com/video/city-vide...w-browns-home/
So we don't really know anything at this point. But as I pointed out earlier, even facts exonerating the police doesn't matter to our politicians, nor to BLM, they will protest and the violent ones will riot, as per usual.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:54 PM

14,450 posts, read 20,627,395 times
Cops needed to use an assault weapon?

Old 04-27-2021, 02:58 PM

29,505 posts, read 22,616,067 times
As I have pointed out multiple times before, it is no coincidence that protesters and rioters seem to latch onto these types of incidents.

To the average person, they'll look at these incidents and scratch their heads and wonder, why are people protesting, rioting, and looting over these career criminals who offer nothing of value to society at large?

And the answer is quite simple. It is because the career criminal types are the ones that are most likely to disobey and resist arrest in the most violent ways possible, which just about guarantees that the police will be forced to act harshly back in return, which just about guarantees serious injury or death, which just about guarantees sensationalist media headlines and the excuse to riot and loot indiscriminately.

What's the fun in rioting and looting over someone that gets shot while they lay there on the street peacefully and fully complying with police officers? The more dramatic, violent, and extreme, the better in the eyes of these miscreants.

And it's no coincidence that these criminals have become increasingly emboldened to act recklessly the past eight years. These criminals know that regardless of what they do, their protesting fan base will automatically jump to their defense regardless and threaten violence as 'payback.' That's why these criminals continue to violently resist arrest and ignore officer commands. I mean, what's the fun also in peacefully complying with officer commands, when you can resist arrest and create havoc and media attention/sensationalism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies