Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 10:41 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'm seeing threads pop up left and right talking about how its going to be doom and gloom because some blacks have made statements about not serving black communities. And by black communities, I'm assuming you mean poor black communities. Anyway people are acting like these neigbhorhoods are going to spiral out of control because police aren't there to "stop crime". Which is just funny to me.

First of all, police have always been a total and utter joke in black communities. Probably since there was even a such thing as a black community. I grew up in drug infested slums in the midwest back in the 80s. Police presence was always stiflingly bad in most neighborhoods:

* Police know known killers, rapist, and murderers but let them walk free almost every time. There are guys who are legit serial murderers in hoods, and are never caught

* Police are way to slanted on drug bust and little of anything else. Probably become drug bust are sources of funding and revenue for the city

* Routine harassment against just random black people. Police know who all of the criminals are and big players are. So the Harassment is just a power trip. Yeah non-black criminals end up getting harassed more than actual criminal murdering people

* Police responses are a joke. 1-3 hours for serious crimes is the norm. Has been this way since literally forever.

* Investigations? What are those? Was your cousin murdered? Guess what. No one in the police precinct seems to care. no investigations are ever looked into unless they accidentally make it to the news. But most murders in the hood are never solved and police have no interest in solving them

Black people in these communities rely on family and friends for protection and security. OG guys or reformed criminals actually seem to be able to get to the bottom of murders better than cops. My aunt house was burgularized several times. Police did nothing. It took a family friend to find out who did it, and he go her stuff returned to her house.

It's always been street justice in the hood.
Are there any specific locations your referring to as the hood? Are there statistics you can link to response times.
You do realize that police officers can only make arrests with an arrest warrant or actually seeing a crime in progress. Knowing who the criminals are does not give them legal authority to arrest them. Police officers are not obligated to investigate crimes. Other than interviewing witnesses and collecting evidence there is little they can do to solve a crime. None of the grievances you listed are exclusive to black communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 10:46 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
The main duty of police is to protect citizens rights...

Seems like many people believe their main duty is law enforcement?

Old 04-22-2021, 11:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Back in the 1980s I did a ride-along with my friend who at the time was a cop in Oakland, CA. The officers there drove alone, but there were several mostly Black areas of the city where they would not get out of their car until another officer showed up to assist. Of the calls we went on that night 3pm-11pm shift in East Oakland, all were at Black homes, except for one school alarm and one DUI (Black Woman). There were 4 domestic disputes, 1 burglary report, 1 incorrigible teen reported by the parents. The latter took the longest, as the parents insisted that their kid be taken into custody. Back then the City was 47% Black, but the area where we worked was probably closer to 80% Black. I don't know if it's the same today, but my experience was that the police were helping to keep them safe from each other.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:09 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
This is a stupid post. It isn't the job of the police to 'cure' black communities and make them better. That's the job of the people and the parents.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:20 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The main duty of police is to protect citizens rights...

Seems like many people believe their main duty is law enforcement?
protect your rights against those who aren't violating them?

Should we just have 1 cop/person then? Or 1 per household is probably enough.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:09 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
This is a stupid post. It isn't the job of the police to 'cure' black communities and make them better. That's the job of the people and the parents.

My point exactly. So why are people freaking out because black people don't like cops. When they are demonstrably bad at their jobs.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:08 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Quote:
So you basically want us to become a police state. At this point I think we can stop bragging about being a free country. On one hand liberals want to censor all level of free speech. And the right want complete totalitarianism.
I’m just throwing out ideas. What are your ideas on how to stop 500 murders and 2200 shootings each year in Philly? Do you think demonizing police, and perhaps even banning them from the streets of Philly will solve the problem?

I’m willing to try anything at this point. Maybe do a test, turn Philly into the Wild West and see if murders go down. Is that what you want?

Or perhaps you want to live in a country where street justice is the norm? Be careful what you wish for on that. I’ve seen how the Shiites and Sunnis roll in a lawless desert with nothing stopping them from blowing each other up.

Last edited by WK91; 04-23-2021 at 09:16 AM..

Old 04-23-2021, 09:10 AM

8,939 posts, read 2,960,520 times
Quote:
I'm seeing threads pop up left and right talking about how its going to be doom and gloom because some blacks have made statements about not serving black communities. And by black communities, I'm assuming you mean poor black communities. Anyway people are acting like these neigbhorhoods are going to spiral out of control because police aren't there to "stop crime". Which is just funny to me.

First of all, police have always been a total and utter joke in black communities. Probably since there was even a such thing as a black community. I grew up in drug infested slums in the midwest back in the 80s. Police presence was always stiflingly bad in most neighborhoods:

* Police know known killers, rapist, and murderers but let them walk free almost every time. There are guys who are legit serial murderers in hoods, and are never caught

* Police are way to slanted on drug bust and little of anything else. Probably become drug bust are sources of funding and revenue for the city

* Routine harassment against just random black people. Police know who all of the criminals are and big players are. So the Harassment is just a power trip. Yeah non-black criminals end up getting harassed more than actual criminal murdering people

* Police responses are a joke. 1-3 hours for serious crimes is the norm. Has been this way since literally forever.

* Investigations? What are those? Was your cousin murdered? Guess what. No one in the police precinct seems to care. no investigations are ever looked into unless they accidentally make it to the news. But most murders in the hood are never solved and police have no interest in solving them

Black people in these communities rely on family and friends for protection and security. OG guys or reformed criminals actually seem to be able to get to the bottom of murders better than cops. My aunt house was burgularized several times. Police did nothing. It took a family friend to find out who did it, and he go her stuff returned to her house.

It's always been street justice in the hood.
Why do black people call the police so often then?

Old 04-23-2021, 09:12 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Anyway people are acting like these neigbhorhoods are going to spiral out of control because police aren't there to "stop crime". Which is just funny to me.
Reality is not so funny.

You want to see Afghanistan in America, then watch what happens when the police stop showing up. Mass shootings would become hourly instead of daily.

Then resident would start whining that the police aren’t showing up. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:23 AM

8,939 posts, read 2,960,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Reality is not so funny.

You want to see Afghanistan in America, then watch what happens when the police stop showing up. Mass shootings would become hourly instead of daily.

Then resident would start whining that the police aren’t showing up. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.
We have Afghanistan already. Go to the worst inner city neighborhoods in Baltimore, Chicago, Philly, LA, and NY.

Those places do not resemble 95% of the rest of America. They are 3rd world war zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies