Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 12:31 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times

Advertisements

Some places are trying to pass law requiring cops to intervene and stop other cops who go too far. Conservatives everywhere are fighting tooth and nail against them. For example, Washington just passed such a law, but the vote was along party line.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...e-force/?amp=1

Not here to debate. I don't understand. May be I am too stupid as a liberal. Please educate me why we should not require "good" cops to stop "bad" cops from brutalizing arrestees.

Again, not here to debate. Please explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 12:51 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
It seems like a good solution to the 'blue wall of silence'.

If your fellow officer is committing a crime, you should be *required* to intervene or be prosecuted as an accessory.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:53 PM

4,298 posts, read 1,556,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
It seems like a good solution to the 'blue wall of silence'.

If your fellow officer is committing a crime, you should be *required* to intervene or be prosecuted as an accessory.
Absolutely.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:54 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I think there is such a duty and expectation. That's exactly what the other two officers standing around in the Floyd case are going to be prosecuted for. I'm not sure what a new law would *change*. The remedy for failure would still be the same.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:00 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
And what would the consequences for them have been?

In hindsight, they should have pulled Chauvin off. But these were inexperienced rookies. Two just out of the Academy.

Let's say they had pulled Chauvin off and Floyd had lived - they probably would have lost their jobs and if not lost their jobs been subject to no end of harassment from other cops going forward because, since Floyd would have survived, there would have been proof they had prevented his death.

Talk about no win. The other cops on the scene - if they didn't have bad luck, they wouldn't have any.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:02 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
As a moderate I support this law. Why you wouldn't support it? Beats me.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:02 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think there is such a duty and expectation. That's exactly what the other two officers standing around in the Floyd case are going to be prosecuted for. I'm not sure what a new law would *change*. The remedy for failure would still be the same.
It might help to do away with some of the unhelpful culture that still lingers in some governments and police unions, that the officer is to be defended 100% of the time in any controversy. Not sure though, it's a complex issue.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:04 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I thought they already WERE required to intervene?

That's why in Chauvin's case, he was the only one who killed Floyd, but the other cops who stood around and did nothing have been charged.

This is already a "thing".

Old 04-22-2021, 01:11 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
If it is a not a law already it should be...those *******s that just let Chauvin do what he did should be in prison

Old 04-22-2021, 01:14 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Some places are trying to pass law requiring cops to intervene and stop other cops who go too far. Conservatives everywhere are fighting tooth and nail against them. For example, Washington just passed such a law, but the vote was along party line.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...e-force/?amp=1

Not here to debate. I don't understand. May be I am too stupid as a liberal. Please educate me why we should not require "good" cops to stop "bad" cops from brutalizing arrestees.

Again, not here to debate. Please explain.
from your link ...

Quote:
But SB 5066 picked up three Republican votes Tuesday — including a yes by GOP Senate Minority Leader John Braun of Centralia — in its final vote on the Senate floor. It has also drawn support from some law enforcement groups.

In March, the Washington State Patrol Troopers Association and the Washington Fraternal Order of Police testified at a public hearing in support of the bill.
I think we'd all "want" fellow cops to intervene when a bad cop is using excessive force, specifically that force which is not policy.

Perhaps the difference comes in what is done to penalize those intervening officers if a 3rd party (say the media) decides they didn't intervene quickly or well enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies