Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2021, 05:49 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
She’s 81 years old and worth close to $200 million. Any increase in taxes wouldn’t impact her lifestyle at all.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 06:33 AM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Gee, we used to have slavery in this country. Should we do that again? The fact that the government used to be even worse, and even more greedy and stole even more from those that earned it-doesn't make it right, or something we should go back to. We need to elect some people with some degree of integrity to office in this country, and stop using the power of government to do the work of a common thief.

Now-taxes are a necessity, we need to pay for the services of government in some manner. But they should at the least bear some semblance to the benefits people get back from the government. Law enforcement. Justice system. Roads. National security. Secure borders. Fire protection. Roads. But we need to reign in the utter greed of those in government, and people need to stop using the government as an agent to steal for them. There is ZERO justice for the federal government taking 40% or more of anyone's earnings.
In NYC, it can go close to 60% because of local taxes. And that doesn't even include all the slew of other taxes there are out there. It's obscene.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:35 AM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Why should certain types of income be given a special tax treatment? Tax capital gains as ordinary income.
The idea is to encourage investment.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:46 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I dont know her financial situation but a quick Google search showed her pushing back against Trump in March of 2020 when he proposed an even greater cut in capital gains tax than the one they currently enjoy.

Potato head's (sic) proposal would raise the cap tax to reflect the tax rate had those earnings been taxed as ordinary income. People with incomes below 1 million would still get the tax subsidiary on cap gains. Anyone with a 401k or an IRA is going to pay ordinary income on those withdrawals so its doesn't affect them unless we go by the vague threat that the rich will band together and tank the market if we don't give them special treatment.
What chance does it have passing when our Congress is a millionaire's club? Of course they would give themselves an exemption.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What chance does it have passing when our Congress is a millionaire's club? Of course they would give themselves an exemption.
I can't disagree with that. I have no problem with rewarding American ingenuity but I don't see how it's more important than work ethic. Someone posted a link showing I'm actually in agreement with Boggle. I'm sure they'll say that guy doesn't get it as well. Of course they will.

Join me in song will you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWijx_AgPiA

Old 04-23-2021, 07:02 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
They are. Are you not familiar with how progressive tax works?
a progressive tax is discriminatory... I thought you lefties opposed discrimination

tax everyone at an equal rate...

let's use 20%

you make 20k annually....your tax is 4k a year

you make 20m... your tax is 4m

everyone pays an equal rate...everyone has skin in the game

Old 04-23-2021, 07:06 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Will Pelosi ever release her tax records and will she be the first to volunteer to pay the 43.4% capital gains tax? We need her guidance to show us the way!
She'll just funnel more tax dollars to her husband's company to pay the bill, same as she's been doing for decades.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:07 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
a progressive tax is discriminatory... I thought you lefties opposed discrimination

tax everyone at an equal rate...

let's use 20%

you make 20k annually....your tax is 4k a year

you make 20m... your tax is 4m

everyone pays an equal rate...everyone has skin in the game
Where have you been? Equality is something hated and despised by liberals. Treating people equally is racist. Didn't you get the memo?

Old 04-23-2021, 07:09 AM

Quote:
She'll just funnel more tax dollars to her husband's company to pay the bill, same as she's been doing for decades.
We need to crack down on that kind of nonsense as well.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Where have you been? Equality is something hated and despised by liberals. Treating people equally is racist. Didn't you get the memo?
Get out of my head you mind reader you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies