Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2021, 07:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Potato head thinks he can spend your money better than you.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-4-for-wealthy
Only Congress can change the tax code.

Raising the tax on that portion of income derived from capital gains for those with an AGI of $ 1 million + impacts about 250,000 earners, out of 111 million tax filers.

The intent seems to be to fund the proposed American Families Plan, child care tax credits, paid family medical leave and free community college, etc.

From my perspective the only fair tax is a flat tax on all gross income, no minimum or cap. Everyone puts equal skin in the game.

Both parties prefer a progressive taxation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 08:32 AM

17,305 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
a progressive tax is discriminatory... I thought you lefties opposed discrimination

tax everyone at an equal rate...

let's use 20%

you make 20k annually....your tax is 4k a year

you make 20m... your tax is 4m

everyone pays an equal rate...everyone has skin in the game
So, no, you do not understand.

Not a “lefty”. Everyone is subject to the same tax law. Same taxes apply on the first ~10K. Then ~10-40 and on up. Landing in a higher tax bracket only applies to the income in that bracket. Everything below that is the same. While I would prefer a consumption tax there isn’t something inherently unfair about the progressive system. Everyone is subject to the same rate for a given range of dollar amount.

What is unfair is all the deductions that rely on your skill or hiring a paid expert to take full advantage of when the government already knows what you owe and should simply bill you.

And that the biggest obstacle to no or very simple returns is the lobbyists from the tax preparer industry.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:55 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
So, no, you do not understand.

Not a “lefty”. Everyone is subject to the same tax law. Same taxes apply on the first ~10K. Then ~10-40 and on up. Landing in a higher tax bracket only applies to the income in that bracket. Everything below that is the same. While I would prefer a consumption tax there isn’t something inherently unfair about the progressive system. Everyone is subject to the same rate for a given range of dollar amount.

What is unfair is all the deductions that rely on your skill or hiring a paid expert to take full advantage of when the government already knows what you owe and should simply bill you.

And that the biggest obstacle to no or very simple returns is the lobbyists from the tax preparer industry.
1. I was not calling you a lefty... I was stating that lefties (of the past) have been about being non-discriminatory

2. I too would like to see a consumption tax REPLACE the income, corporate, estate, sin taxes

I like the fair tax..... www.fairtax.org

Old 04-23-2021, 11:05 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
That's an option.

It makes sense to me...any reasons why we shouldn't just tax it like our regular income.
The argument is that it would reduce investment. Finding the right balance of taxes is complex. Is your goal the best for everyone, or the best for GDP? Who should pay more, what taxes effect expansion, etc etc etc.

Id like to see our tax code simplified, and one way would be to treat it like income.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjspring View Post
Would Apple or Microsoft have been able to be created with capital gains that high?

This question is for the OP and anyone who agrees with the OP.

Thanks.
Yes...many of the big tech companies were started by individuals with an idea out of their garages.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:10 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Would Apple or Microsoft have been able to be created with capital gains that high?

This question is for the OP and anyone who agrees with the OP.

Thanks.
A quick google search showed Bill Gates calling for a higher capital gains tax back in 2016. Draw whatever conclusion you will from that.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:27 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times
[ATTACK OF COMMON SENSE FLAG ON]
You know or should know that in America, governments are instituted to secure endowed rights (see: Declaration of Independence), and therefore no endowed right can be taxed, lest it be diminished by ever higher taxes.

Only government privileges are taxable.
Now, do you KNOW what revenue taxable privileges are involved in your status as a "taxpayer"?
Ask your public servants for an explanation.
But don't use the phone. You will be put on indefinite hold, with "Hotel California" playing in the background.
- - -
FYI: endowed rights include but are not limited to natural rights, natural and personal liberty, absolute ownership of private property, inherent powers, privileges and immunities (unrelated to government granted privileges).
But if you CONSENT to be governed, you surrender these endowments because mandatory civic duties abrogate them.
*(ex: Militia duty - the obligation to train, fight, and die on command - a definite violation of the right to life and liberty.)

Old 04-23-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I think that you both are missing my point. It's being argued that high capital gains taxes will squash such companies from happening to begin with.
Which was not true in either case.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:35 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Only Congress can change the tax code.

Raising the tax on that portion of income derived from capital gains for those with an AGI of $ 1 million + impacts about 250,000 earners, out of 111 million tax filers.

The intent seems to be to fund the proposed American Families Plan, child care tax credits, paid family medical leave and free community college, etc.

From my perspective the only fair tax is a flat tax on all gross income, no minimum or cap. Everyone puts equal skin in the game.

Both parties prefer a progressive taxation.
That is the upper limit. It starts at $450K. Now how many does it impact ?

Old 04-23-2021, 11:38 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That is the upper limit. It starts at $450K. Now how many does it impact ?
From what I can tell it is being proposed to add a new bracket. The current 20% bracket starts at 450000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies