Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 07:03 AM

1,301 posts, read 665,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The more right wing nut jobs that renounce their citizenship, the better.
It's mainly the wealthy that are renouncing and moving overseas, since there are better countries with lower taxes than the U.S. in today's world. Also, many of these folks can simply tele-work, so there's nothing tying them down to the U.S. anymore.

The wealthy pay for over 75% of all income tax revenue collected by the government, so everyone should be concerned with more wealthy fleeing the U.S. -- the wealthy are basically the main tax base in America.

When most of the wealthy have fled the U.S., the democrats will start raising taxes on the middle class. We'll be like high tax Europe, but without all the amenities and benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 07:19 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Trend Of US Citizenship Renunciation To Rise “Dramatically” Would you renounce?
The United States gives the best bang for the buck of any country in terms of salaries for professionals, cost of housing, consumer goods and taxes. There are still plenty of great places to live in the United States.

As long as this remains the same, I don’t see myself or most people renouncing their citizenship. It is mostly just talk.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:21 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,983,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The United States still gives the best bang for the buck in terms of salaries for professionals, cost of housing, consumer goods and taxes.

As long as this remains the same, I don’t see myself or most people renouncing their citizenship. It is mostly just talk.

Thats the US being the world reserve currency. With the level of debt happening. I do not believe we will have the status in 10 years.

What would you do then ? The history of fiat shows they all collapse, especially if they are only backed up by faith in the government that cannot control its spending.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:24 AM

4,295 posts, read 1,553,339 times
It's only because of ridiculous tax practices that mean people have to renounce - and they've made renouncing a considerable expense, almost a tax in itself. If you live abroad and are a US citizen you're still required to report your income to the IRS. Seems odd to me - someone who's a dual citizen and doesn't have to report my income to HMRC.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:28 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Huh. Imagine that. Other countries are picky about who they let in and only accept those who can take care of themselves without state $. Progressives in the US call that racist when an American says it.
As an immigrant, you have to apply to the USA as well.

Most Americans confuse the application for residency by someone claiming refugee status with the normal process that most of us have to go through.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:30 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The United States gives the best bang for the buck of any country in terms of salaries for professionals, cost of housing, consumer goods and taxes. There are still plenty of great places to live in the United States.

As a Canadian who moved to the southeast 24 years -- mainly because of weather -- but also because YES.......the sheer size of the USA means that there are way more opportunities.

As dual citizens we have two countries to choose from for jobs, living, etc.

It really is a good thing -- especially for young people -- they have even more opportunities.

BUT if you leave the USA and do not plan to return, renouncing the citizenship is a good idea so the IRS doesn't come looking for their fair share.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:50 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
There's also a long arranged yearly income exemption for U.S. citizens living abroad to legally not pay federal income taxes if under. It's periodically adjusted upward, and the last I heard it was about 105k USD per year.

There's also an asset exemption below which you don't owe the exit tax if your net assets are below the exemption. The last I heard, the exemption is $2 million USD. The exit tax = your net assets get marked as a long term capital gain, so you would pay whatever the long term capital gain rate is when you renounce, on whatever the assets are over $2 million. So, $10 million would equal a 1 x long term capital gain on $8 million.
That's part of what makes it maddening - you don't have to actually pay anything, but you still have to file. Sort of makes the exercise doubly pointless.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:55 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,983,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm not ready to do so yet. I am formulating a get out of USA plan and might possibly buy another home in another country for use as wanted.
What did you have in mind ?

Old 04-24-2021, 07:17 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
After this failed administration is finished destroying America
Worldviews based on extreme hyperbole like above are the bread and butter of impulsive people, but on the flip side those same people rarely follow through with anything like plans to renounce and move overseas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric__avenue View Post
That was maybe true 30 years ago, nowadays the US is in decline, which is clear based on Quality of Life and Best Countries to live studies showing several countries ahead of the US.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...erall-rankings
How does some list of best countries with USA #6 show it is in decline? Any list like that is based on opinions and subjective criteria, so any country ranked near the top could be considered the best to some people.

Old 04-24-2021, 07:23 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,216,027 times
It has risen dramatically over the years. The increase started after FATCA was passed.
It's not in the millions by any means but it is a steady rise and they all have money

In 2009 (before FATCA) only 743 renounced
In the first 6 months of 2020 5300 renounced

Source: Office of the Federal Register

Slowly the money is leaving the US while 200K poor and unskilled enter per month.

What could possibly go wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies