Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 11:47 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,228,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
Well let’s see, most people can’t afford a brand spanking new electric car. Most only buy used vehicles.
Investing in infrastructure that won’t be used isn’t an investment. It’s a waste of money.
Manufacturing jobs that will predominantly be performed overseas in China. That benefits China and their residents with jobs in China. Gives more money to China. Not to the USA.

Care to try again?
Domestic makes have been leading the electric charge. Including a brand new one with Tesla.

People that can’t afford new eventually end up with used ones. And not like the ICE cars are going anywhere until their wheels fall off.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:49 PM

795 posts, read 407,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Domestic makes have been leading the electric charge. Including a brand new one with Tesla.
And most of them are not built in America. Tesla being the notable exception. For now. Very few domestic car companies still produce their vehicles here in the USA. Quite a few have plants in Mexico. Again, manufacturing jobs and dollars we will not get or benefit from here in the USA.

Old 04-22-2021, 11:54 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
And most of them are not built in America. Tesla being the notable exception. For now. Very few domestic car companies still produce their vehicles here in the USA. Quite a few have plants in Mexico. Again, manufacturing jobs and dollars we will not get or benefit from here in the USA.
If that’s no different from the current situation, except for Tesla being an improvement. What’s with the pearl clutching?

Whole world is heading in this direction. Choosing to be left behind would be stupid.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:06 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Do you know how they're able to make these car batteries and how electric cars are able to charge? Hint: we won't be going away from fossil fuels anytime soon because of it. In fact, without fossil fuels we wouldn't have electric cars.

Personally I think banning gas/diesel is the wrong way to go, but mandating more hybrid models is probably smart.
LOL, I wonder how Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla, thinks on that issue?

Old 04-23-2021, 12:16 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Economic destruction of America over a hoax!

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...-gas-cars-2035
Sounds dictatorshipish.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Car has a specific definition. The cummings diesel is in a truck.

Old 04-23-2021, 12:23 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I don't see how this can be done unless we build a lot of Nuclear power plants.
We had the ability to do this during Nikola Teslas day!!!

Unfortunately, his 'Waycliffe towers' were kept secret, because there was no way to meter usage to the public, people could basically grab power right out of the air like WIFI...that would be devastating the global economy.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:24 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
The only way to charge an electric vehicle at my off grid place would be to run a large generator for several hours. I don't think they've thought this through too well. The grid for those on it already struggles at peak times to supply enough power.

In the northeast the salt destroys vehicles eventually so if no new gas vehicles are being made it's going to be a big problem.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:13 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
And big oil has gotten subsidies over the decades, farmers are paid to not farm, corruption is rampant. I have no problem with them subsidizing renewable energy. Perhaps it's my progressive side talking. Perhaps because I live in wind country and have studied the technology. We are building a renewable power source with low ongoing maintenance costs and economies of scale dictate the global average weighted cost per kwh for this technology will continue to go down, and it's created a lot of jobs. I can think of far worse ways to spend the money.... many of them have occured during this pandemic... a green light to spend like heroin addicts.
Solar and wind now supplies 4% of our energy.. you are living in lala land. The left is against nuclear, coal, oil and gas which is the life line of our economy.

That green new deal only allows one to eat 4 lbs of beef cutting beef consumption by 90%.. no more barbecues. Cattle ranchers will go under. Good bye to the good economy. Biden will kill it off with his crazy ideas.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:15 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The only way to charge an electric vehicle at my off grid place would be to run a large generator for several hours. I don't think they've thought this through too well. The grid for those on it already struggles at peak times to supply enough power.

In the northeast the salt destroys vehicles eventually so if no new gas vehicles are being made it's going to be a big problem.
Communist China makes the electric engines . This is a deal that the Communists love. Good bye America.. we have nuts in Washington destroying the life line to our economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies