Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 08:49 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
The difference is that Westboro won because they were on public property. A restaurant is not public property. There is no difference between protestors invading a restaurant and yelling and harassing and protestors invading your home and doing the same.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snyder_v._Phelps

Westboro cannot come into the private property of the funeral home. That is the difference.
I did not see anything in the linked article indicating that the folks discussed here weren't on public property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 08:50 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,520,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Again, let me give you a example.

"Its the right of people to have a peaceful funeral, and letting people yell out obscene things about their dead child is outweighed by their right to that." would be a very similar statement.

Which from your statement you might believe. But the reality is? Westboro baptist did that. And they won in court over and over.

Remember folks-I dont agree that this is a good thing, or that its not bad behavior. Im just pointing out that its something we tolerate because we value free speech. People have the right to protest. We mess with that at our peril.
If only there were as few BLM lunatics as there are Westboro lunatics...

But anyway, arent the Westboro mob restricted in where they can deliver their bile?

Old 04-22-2021, 08:57 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
I did not see anything in the linked article indicating that the folks discussed here weren't on public property.
Edited:

I see what you mean in that the protestors were on the city street, and not in the restaurant. My mistake. I still say it is disturbing the peace, however.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 04-22-2021 at 09:23 PM..

Old 04-22-2021, 08:57 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Correct. However-by making it racial if you assaulted them you could face a enhanced penalty. But you can in fact call them that. And I even support your right to do so even if I find the act abhorrent and offensive.
Agreed-I find it nearly as offensive as a bunch of racist idiots verbally assaulting diners on private property.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:58 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,735 times
Quote:
I think this was covered in a earlier thread.

But....so? If people are expressing their opinion why would cops come to their aid? Free speech would apply would it not? Even if you disagree with it-and in fact ESPECIALLY when you disagree with it. Peoples right to say things like that shouldnt be infringed.

so now you understand what infringed means?

Old 04-22-2021, 09:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Happened in Prospect Hts, in Brooklyn, a very desirable place to live who can afford to do so.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/21/blm-pr...yc-restaurant/

People are allowed to stand on street corners and yell their fool heads off about anything, in the US. And they do.

Depending on perspective, it is one of the risks or entertainment of outdoor dining, adjacent to a public street.
No diff than cars blaring music , horn honking, calling for repentance and the occasional vegan crying about meat.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 04-22-2021 at 09:34 PM..

Old 04-22-2021, 09:05 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:

But....so? If people are expressing their opinion why would cops come to their aid? Free speech would apply would it not? Even if you disagree with it-and in fact ESPECIALLY when you disagree with it. Peoples right to say things like that shouldnt be infringed.
While I agree with your assessment and your opinion of free speech, the fact is if this were being done to any one other than white people, it would be nationwide news and all we'd be hearing about is how racist it is. That's the main problem here. We have come to a point where it's okay to be racist as long as it's directed toward the right shade of people. We are literally going back in time here folks. Reminds me of the horrible things I used to read about that happened during the "Jim Crow" era. How long before we start seeing signs over water fountains and bathroom doors which read "Blacks Only" again? Only this time, it will be the black people hanging the signs! The calendar may say it's 2021, but it feels like we've gone back in time about 70 or 80 years. Only this time, white people are the targets for mistreatment and vilification. I'm sure some would call it poetic justice. I simply say it's wrong and eventually if this current atmosphere of hatred isn't brought under control, there will be real consequences that none of us want to deal with. I sincerely wish we could all just live and let live again. Love your neighbor and all that jazz. All this hate is going to put us all into early graves while the fat cats in Washington who are pulling our strings get together on the weekends for "bipartisan" barbeques. We are being pitted against each other for a reason folks, and it has nothing to do with equality. Always remember....United we Stand, Divided we Fall. We are currently more divided than we have been in decades. Get ready for the fall if we don't do something about it.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:06 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
so now you understand what infringed means?
When have I not? I mean I know some folks here want to just go on the personal attack, but why not at least give me a hint at what you mean.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:15 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,496,445 times
Quote:

Because where BLM followers gather and spout their hate, violence often erupts. Police are called to the scene to prevent that.

And all of a sudden you’re in favor of free speech? What do you think about the people who are banned from social media, fired from jobs, harassed, or otherwise “canceled,” simply for disagreeing with the leftist racist-driven agenda?

Old 04-23-2021, 05:18 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,496,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnobody View Post
“ A man, perched on a platform above a crowd of Black Lives Matter supporters appeared to lead a chant, according to the video posted by Andy Ngo”

What is the name of the person leading the white hate confrontation?
What are the names of the people parroting the white hate dialog?
People want their names and contact information.

There was a large procession of NYPD that night on Vanderbilt Avenue where this occurred. You people need to realize that BLM uses this road frequently for their insanity. Many of the young white brainwashed college kids just sit at the tables clapping like in a Grey Poupon commercial. These foolish white college kids support and defend this self humiliation.

That is Vanderbilt Avenue, the most lily white and most embarrassing part of Brooklyn. They were all brainwashed by colleges. Vanderbilt Avenue has more BLM flags flying than anywhere else. It is all these dainty white college kids in their own wildly naive world.

The businesses along Vanderbilt are mostly owned by immigrant families. I use the word immigrant lightly. Nobody knows their legal status. These immigrant families own real estate there. They have done okay. They own whole 4 story buildings. They have millions of dollars. They have more than the white soyboys do.

The taco shop is owned by a Mexican family.
A Mexican family? So IOW, a white leftist is harassing people patronizing a minority-owned business, in the name of being against racists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies