Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 08:06 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Ugh. This state is getting worse and worse. Why should bright, studious, motivated kids be punished (they won’t be in a position to compete for academic college scholarships against students from normal states) just because blacks, in average, don’t do as well?

(If a racist-driven policy like this had been in place when my dad, my mom, my uncle, and my aunt were in school during the 30s and 40s, they never could have escaped their impoverished background. They ALL got free college, based on their academic achievements.j
If I know northern Virginia, it's not just about black students but the exponentially growing illegal and anchor students whose families are from south of the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 08:37 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
simply having resources made those kids score higher than those who's parents make less.
That's true, but it's just one component of the gap in IQ scores between rich and poor. Successful parents not only provide better environments for their children, they are also smarter on average, and pass on genes related to higher intelligence. It's always about both nature and nurture, not just one or the other.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:42 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
If I know northern Virginia, it's not just about black students but the exponentially growing illegal and anchor students whose families are from south of the border.
Yep, Arlington for example is obsessed with them for some reason. Their big issue every year are school boundaries, always centered around where illegals and anchor students go, and affordable housing for people, people as in illegals and anchors, whom do not even work in Arlington.

It was so stupid there, every little thing that got brought up had to be tied in to illegals and their off spring.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:48 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Yep, Arlington for example is abscessed with them for some reason.

Abscessed? Is Arlington oozing them like pus?

Old 04-25-2021, 08:50 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Abscessed? Is Arlington oozing them like pus?
Lol, corrected. I misspelled it initially and just hit the autocorrect but did not look to see it corrected it to the wrong word.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:06 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Can someone define what is "accelerated math" to me.

We just followed the YBR for DS's public education. School authorized DS to skip 2 grades, we allowed 1 grade skip. Is that accelerating? Our experience ~25 yo, and the same controversy.

see other thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/educa...l-11th-10.html

Last edited by leastprime; 04-25-2021 at 09:15 PM..

Old 04-25-2021, 09:12 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
That's true, but it's just one component of the gap in IQ scores between rich and poor. Successful parents not only provide better environments for their children, they are also smarter on average, and pass on genes related to higher intelligence. It's always about both nature and nurture, not just one or the other.
I dont agree that its as lopsided as you believe.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:22 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
The conservative freak out du jour. use the word equity and they will meltdown.

Actual VDOE website

https://www.doe.virginia.gov/instruc...OXFP-WYKJOMcKI

Little excerpt

VMPI maintains Virginia’s rigorous mathematics instruction for all students and strives to provide all students with opportunities to receive high quality, highly-relevant math instruction that is tailored to their specific post-secondary goals.

• The implementation of VMPI would still allow for student acceleration in mathematics content according to ability and achievement. It does not dictate how and when students take specific courses. Those decisions remain with students and school divisions based on individualized learning needs.

• The traditional high school pathway culminating in the study of Calculus or other advanced courses is not being eliminated. Additional course pathways will include engaging semester courses in statistics, data science, modeling, design, and logic, among others.

• Local school divisions will still have plenty of flexibility to create courses aligned to the standards to meet the needs of all students; and provide opportunities for all students to advance through the curriculum based on their learning needs. School divisions will also be able to offer advanced sections and acceleration through the courses.

• VMPI will increase rigor by integrating mathematical content and concepts, emphasizing reasoning and problem solving, and providing a highly-relevant experience for all students. It will also include a new focus on statistical literacy, essential for success in a data-rich world.

Moving from the Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, etc pathway mirrors the rest of the world and there are high end private schools moving this way too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_mathematics

But they said equity. MELTDOWN.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:22 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Can someone define what is "accelerated math" to me.

We just followed the YBR for DS's public education. School authorized DS to skip 2 grades, we allowed 1 grade skip. Is that accelerating? Our experience ~25 yo, and the same controversy.

see other thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/education/3264422-virginia-eliminating-accellerated-math-until-11th-10.html

Algebra 1 (Freshman Year), Geometry/Trigonometry (Sophmore Year), Algebra 2 (Junior Year), and Intro Analysis (Pre-Calculus - Senior Year...some of the very smart were already in Calculus too) ... was the route I remember from a LONG time ago in High School...not sure how "accelerated" that is today...

Old 04-26-2021, 05:37 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Similar situation in our home. Our son has 3 learning disabilities but is extremely creative and hands on.

Younger daughter is in all accelerated classes and is academically talented.

Yes. Although the article says that the goal is for everyone to be able to take calculus by 12th grade, it is also clear that advanced students will have to be stuck in “essential classes” for 9th and 10th grades.

As a parent of two extremely different children (as stated above) we need more diversity in math class levels, not more. Requiring all students to take Algebra 2 for example does a disservice to some students. My son needs to know about percentages and interest rates and taxes...practical every day stuff. My daughter meanwhile is considering medicine or engineering.
Have your daughter look into Chem Engineering. Don't think test tubes. Think Engineer for bakeries (Process handling at factories that make breads, cakes etc) The 3rd smartest person I have ever met was a woman project manager with a chem engineering degree who I was a support engineer for. Utterly brilliant woman who was so good, contractors would compete (lower their prices) to work on her projects. She made $125 an hour.*

*She billed 40 hours but typically worked 45
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies