Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2021, 03:45 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
In Thugland, it happens, but not amongst civilized people.
Are you calling me a thug?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 03:47 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I'm not. It's all on video.

She makes her intentions known by shouting out her plans to stab the girl and she was in the process of doing so when she was put down.
LOL. Ive just read about it all....but really She shouted she was going to stab the other person? LOL.

Oh yeah, way to make the decision simple for the cop.

34,015 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Are you calling me a thug?
I am saying if you had a knife to your throat, you were amongst them. Civilized people do not fight that way.

Its rare to experience that level of violence.

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
Quote:
In Thugland, it happens, but not amongst civilized people.
I do not know. When I was 16 a guy came out the back seat of a car with a chain wrapped around his hand. He started to set up to swing at me. One big problem though. My brother was standing directly behind with a coke bottle in his hand. The obvious thing happened but also started off a battle with 25 or 30 guys whacking away. The cops of course got called. However before they arrived my brother and I slipped into the alleys and vanished. Nice to have this sort of thing in your home neighborhood.

And this was a quite civilized neighborhood. And the other group was from an even better neighborhood.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:48 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
If I recall...hadn't she already stabbed someone?

But lets use your scenario. When the cops pull up to the fight, you know what you do if you are the only one holding a knife? You drop it. and you STOP moving.
Reminds me of what you do if you are a hostage and Tactical comes through the door.....YOU HIT THE DECK!

Don't be like Jean-Jacques Maimoni at Entebbe.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:49 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I do not know. When I was 16 a guy came out the back seat of a car with a chain wrapped around his hand. He started to set up to swing at me. One big problem though. My brother was standing directly behind with a coke bottle in his hand. The obvious thing happened but also started off a battle with 25 or 30 guys whacking away. The cops of course got called. However before they arrived my brother and I slipped into the alleys and vanished. Nice to have this sort of thing in your home neighborhood.

And this was a quite civilized neighborhood. And the other group was from an even better neighborhood.
Civilized? Perhaps in the 3rd world.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sorry but no. again-even if I take your view on this, The cop arrives and it looks more likely then not that a murder is about to happen. If he had "made it known he was on the scene" as you say-someone innocent would-more likely then not-be dead.

As a side note....This does all have a weird issue for me. Someone carrying a revolver can outdraw and shoot a officer before that officer can decide to pull the trigger. That decision time is longer then the draw and shoot time for anyone who has practiced it and who has made the shoot decision in advance. Which means arguably even someone just CARRYING a handgun that a officer believes will shoot them-should be shot. Can you imagine the outrage if a cop shot someone who never touched their gun?

And for those who think im wrong? Go watch your local historical re-enactment folks who do any amount of quickdraw practice. If you have a gun out, are pointing it at them, and trying to make a decision on if you should shoot them? They really can decide to shoot you, then draw and fire, before you can have the time to decide to shoot them.
These decisions are beyond human capacity. Which is why I think situations like these should be handled by robots or some sort of drone that can make faster decisions. I don't think we should entrust humans to make these split second decisions. The consequences of making mistakes is destructive and leads to the loss of life. So I do think we need to move away from the idea of police being human. And we need to work on better automation in law enforcement.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I am saying if you had a knife to your throat, you were amongst them. Civilized people do not fight that way.

Its rare to experience that level of violence.

No I was a kid. 16 years old like the girls were in this video. The person who held a knife to my throat was another 16 year old kid. I don't know what that kid is up to now. But imagine an officer coming to gun me or him down? I couldn't have had the stellar career I had. And if he went on to be successful, his life would have ended there. That's a tragedy. There was a time when cops didn't shoot first and ask questions later.

Society has just become more tolerant of police officers shooting citizens. When I was in high school in the 90s, most Americans were against this idea. It seemed like government overreach to most people. Now people have comfortable with it, and get mad if an officer is ever punished for it.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:55 PM

1,265 posts, read 444,831 times
Why hasn’t the family of the young life who was saved come forward to publicly thank the officer?

Old 04-23-2021, 03:56 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
These decisions are beyond human capacity. Which is why I think situations like these should be handled by robots or some sort of drone that can make faster decisions. I don't think we should entrust humans to make these split second decisions. The consequences of making mistakes is destructive and leads to the loss of life. So I do think we need to move away from the idea of police being human. And we need to work on better automation in law enforcement.
Uhmmm....I write software that tests software. Trust me, you do not want automation like this in law enforcement yet.

LOL. I need to share this with my QA team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies