Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2021, 09:01 PM

981 posts, read 898,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Still relies on a cop in a control room firing a weapon the drone has. (i/e personal judgment will be the vital feature). I see no advantage via drones, except for explosives detonations, at this time. Mabe in a few decades it tilts that way.
You see no advantage to eliminating the personal safety issue for the officer from the equation here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 09:02 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Does the term SkyNet ring any bells?

Thanks but no thanks. I’ll stick with humans as police officers.

Great debunk. A fictional movie. Why use machines for anything. They can just turn against us. This is going to happen whether you like it or not. All politicians can do is delay the inevitable

Old 04-23-2021, 09:04 PM

33,999 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
You see no advantage to eliminating the personal safety issue for the officer from the equation here?
Not at this time. Drone strikes , btw, are not as accurate as on the scene gunshots from trained professionals. For every jihadist killed in the ME by the US during Obama's tenure, a few dozen died simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The Columbus cop was a pre cop trained marksman, and did a spectacular job, as the victim he aborted the attack on instead of dying, left w/o any significant injuries. We need that precision for these situations. With just one shot, he eliminated the threat.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:13 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
A certain police officer in Columbus came upon a chaotic scene. People screaming, one lady down was being kicked in the head, another had a knife and was heading right for someone. This officer had a grand total of about two seconds to take in the scene, determine the situation, formulate a response, and act. Those who would sit in judgment of him have had days, soon to be weeks, to pick over every single micro-second of the encounter with a fine tooth comb.

It reminds me of a passage in the book Unfriendly Skies, written by an airline captain. He was discussing the situation after a harrowing near-crash, but it could just as easily apply here:

"When all else is failing, and the world is going crazy, and your plane is disintegrating, there's one airplane part that never, never malfunctions: it's that little black box that's recording all the decisions you're making. If by some stroke of fortune you manage to survive this somehow, and you're hauled into court, and you've got a battery of lawyers staring at you, they'll pull out this paper, and it's got all your maneuvers on it, and a dozen armchair experts will start Monday-morning-quarterbacking you. 'Now tell me, Captain So-and-So, when you fell past 12,000 and still had five seconds in which to deliberate your future, why in God's name didn't you pull out the whooziwhatsis? What were you, drunk? Didn't your airline company train you properly?' It's really quite galling."

Now, I happen to think that the officer in Columbus did it right, and he should be commended for his level thinking and steady aim during a crisis situation. But for those who are saying stuff like "Why didn't he use his taser?" or "Why did he shoot her four times?" or "Why didn't he shoot for her arm?" or "Why didn't he try to de-escalate the situation?" and stuff like that, I would say, let's see how well you would do if you had to make these decisions in a split second, under intense pressure, with no opportunity for a re-do.

When people criticize such officers even though they've never had to face anything remotely similar . . . well, it's really quite galling.
Unfortunately I have to agree with you but I don't think he should be commended at all. In situations like this why can't police shoot them in the arm or leg. Shoot me anywhere and I'm on the ground crying. Why shoot to kill.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:16 PM

8,956 posts, read 2,553,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Unfortunately I have to agree with you but I don't think he should be commended at all. In situations like this why can't police shoot them in the arm or leg. Shoot me anywhere and I'm on the ground crying. Why shoot to kill.
You never shoot to maim unless you want to miss. If you need to shoot, you shoot center mass.

Shooting for arms or legs is movie BS.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
They are properly trained to hit mid body, not the phony tv series leg shots. Killers continue firing, stabbing, etc with minor wounds, plus a leg shot has a high probability to miss. A "miss" means someone innocent nearby may be struck by the bullet. It doesn't say "I missed the leg. I will strike nothing".

This is real life, occurring in milliseconds, and this cop played it perfectly by the book with the best possible result. Girl in pink saved, no innocent bystanders shot.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:20 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,703,406 times
Quote:
Posted by someone who has never fired a gun of any kind - much less while under stress - and relies on movies to enforce their view of reality.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:21 PM

981 posts, read 898,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Not at this time. Drone strikes , btw, are not as accurate as on the scene gunshots from trained professionals. For every jihadist killed in the ME by the US during Obama's tenure, a few dozen died simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The Columbus cop was a pre cop trained marksman, and did a spectacular job, as the victim he aborted the attack on instead of dying, left w/o any significant injuries. We need that precision for these situations. With just one shot, he eliminated the threat.
You are not aware of what is happening in AI if you think having this available is some far off distant thing. And my point here is that no one is even talking about this, they would rather fuel racial division and throw all the cops under the bus. And BTW, I agree with you on the Columbus officer, based on the evidence I have seen to date, he did absolutely the right thing, and was in compliance with police procedure. He should not be facing any criminal charges. That doesn't mean though that we shouldn't look at modernizing policing for both the safety of the officers and the public. I lost a friend that was killed stepping off a curb by a police officer involved in a chase from a bodega robbery. I understand that accidents do happen, and I am not even saying that the officer is totally at fault, he was just following procedure and his own departmental metrics to hit their arrest targets. But is that procedure and method actually helping to protect the community? I say this honestly as someone who is a fan of the police, and appreciate that they put their lives on the line everyday.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:24 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Posted by someone who has never fired a gun of any kind - much less while under stress - and relies on movies to enforce their view of reality.
Sorry to disappoint, but I know how to use a gun.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
You are not aware of what is happening in AI if you think having this available is some far off distant thing. And my point here is that no one is even talking about this, they would rather fuel racial division and throw all the cops under the bus. And BTW, I agree with you on the Columbus officer, based on the evidence I have seen to date, he did absolutely the right thing, and was in compliance with police procedure. He should not be facing any criminal charges. That doesn't mean though that we shouldn't look at modernizing policing for both the safety of the officers and the public. I lost a friend that was killed stepping off a curb by a police officer involved in a chase from a bodega robbery. I understand that accidents do happen, and I am not even saying that the officer is totally at fault, he was just following procedure and his own departmental metrics to hit their arrest targets. But is that procedure and method actually helping to protect the community? I say this honestly as someone who is a fan of the police, and appreciate that they put their lives on the line everyday.
Not against researching it. Against implementing it until tremendous testing in real life based scenarios occrs over extended periods of time, in all types of locations (rural/urban/difficult topography, etc). In short, your industry needs to be spending as much as Operation WARP Speed did to insure it is viable, not just on a theoretical basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies